Help. 😁😁😁😁

Dawn roberts

Featured Posts

I am just about to buy my first boat and need some help.could someone please tell me what I need as in licences ect to legally sail her I know I need a safety certificate which runs out next month but what else do I need ? Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum Dawn.

Assuming you are intending to boat on Canal and River Trust waters you can find just about everything you need to know on this link.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/a-boat-of-your-own

Your location being Northampton, if you intend to boat on the Nene the navigation authority is EA (the Environment Agency). The Northampton Arm which connects it to the Grand Union comes under CRT. Both bodies do short term or annual licences, and there's also a "Gold" annual licence which covers all the CRT and EA waters (e.g. the Thames and other rivers)

Your location being Northampton, if you intend to boat on the Nene the navigation authority is EA (the Environment Agency). The Northampton Arm which connects it to the Grand Union comes under CRT. Both bodies do short term or annual licences, and there's also a "Gold" annual licence which covers all the CRT and EA waters (e.g. the Thames and other rivers)

As another on here discovered (with a little bit of prompting) a Gold from where you are is only a bit more than a Nene licence and not only can you cruise CaRT waters for no additional cost but the Thames as well (plus some other EA waters to which you may not be able to get to)

As another on here discovered (with a little bit of prompting) a Gold from where you are is only a bit more than a Nene licence and not only can you cruise CaRT waters for no additional cost but the Thames as well (plus some other EA waters to which you may not be able to get to)

Gold licences only run January to January, so this is not a real option,

I think the answer to that is yes. I cannot think of any exceptions but I am sure there will be one somewhere :-)

I agree with the earlier post, you should have done all this earlier (much). Hopefully you can afford what might be an expensive exercise. And do not forget insurance, I cannot thin k of a single marina that will let you in without insurance and therefore a current boat safety cert.

Edited by Traveller

So I would need a licence to sail her to the marina but when I am moored there do I need a licence then ??

As stated I should of done my research first but I class this as my research as the people who do it every day know best.

Thanks everyone

You need a licence for the vast majority of moorings and marinas.

A very small number of marinas have an excemption from this requirement whilst moored in them.

Hey - I resemble that remark!

If the BSS runs out in a month I'd be very careful, if it fails the test it could cost a significant amount of money to get things put right and I trust you're getting a hull survey done?. Without a recent survey (often 5 or 8 years are the figures I've heard quoted) insurance may be limited, pricier or impossible to get.

K

If the BSS runs out in a month I'd be very careful, if it fails the test it could cost a significant amount of money to get things put right and I trust you're getting a hull survey done?. Without a recent survey (often 5 or 8 years are the figures I've heard quoted) insurance may be limited, pricier or impossible to get.

K

Craftinsure over fully comp insurance with no survey on boats up to 30 years old. Or did, last time I renewed!

If it is not too late, I would also make a new BSS a condition of the sale.

I suspect you currently have no idea how much (or how little) expense will be needed to get it through its next one.

It would definitely be best not to have to try and get it through a BSS after so short a period of ownership. (Unless of course you are buying at a bargain basement price, and have factored this in as something else you may need to throw money at).

I hope all goes well for you, obviously your choice re survey but how long since her bottom blacked and out of water? Be careful..comments on here are from those who have zillions years experience between them. All your decisions to make but would be awful if you've shelved out thousands and stuff that a survey would identify you would then discover later down road.

Hi Dawn,

I'm in your area - I've sent you a personal message (pm) if you want to go over some of the stuff about moving boats, licencing boats, living on boats, fixing and maintaining boats and, erm, boating on boats :)

LCx

A virtual greenie to you Lady C, often a bit of one to one can be so much better than just reading replies.

Oh yes and welcome Dawn

Phil

Well I brought the boat tonight.

I took my friend with me who has been a marine engineer for about 20 years.

She will be going to his yard at the weekend to be blacked and the few things done to get her safety certificate.

I've got lots of work to do but I'm very excited a home of my own again at long last ..