Another sunk boat gets help

Boaty Jo

Featured Posts

True enough, and it was started by her friends, which says a lot for her. Not the same as the other one. Rivers are scary... if i sounded meanspirited, I'm sorry (mind you, her therapy stuff's still rubbish!).

true i dont believe in all that tripe either, i just like to live and let live in what beliefs you have. I know for a fact that if my boat sank folk wouldnt give a hoot, but only happy to use it when they could.

I met the young lady in question in Leighton Buzzard a few days after she bought the boat. Must be almost 2 years ago now. She seemed very nice, but clearly didn't have a clue what she was doing.

It was early evening and she had stopped briefly to go into Tesco and buy candles. She had no working electrics on the boat and no headlamp. We sat on my tug deck and had a crazy chat about where she'd come from (Northampton Arm) and where she was going (London). She had no map book no nothing. As she was quite easy on the eye i invited her to stop in Leighton Buzzard for the evening and to join me for a bottle Tescos finest Red, but strangely she chose to press on down the GU single handed in the dark with no lights.

I remember showing her the London Boaters Facebook page and saying she should join, which she did. We are still Facebook friends i think.

I'm sad to see her boat has sunk but she did seem a disaster waiting to happen. Fingers crossed she gets sorted and gets the funds she needs. I will see if i can donate a few quid.

Maybe it's karma for blowing me out.

I met the young lady in question in Leighton Buzzard a few days after she bought the boat. Must be almost 2 years ago now. She seemed very nice, but clearly didn't have a clue what she was doing.

Yes, that much is obvious.

I can certainly feel some sympathy for anyone who loses all their stuff, but at the same time people have to be aware and take some precautions. Boats don't just float on their own without some preventative maintenance. We've all serviced stern glands, cleared scuppers and drainage pipes of leaves or other debris, checked bilge pumps, or asked neighbours to keep an eye on our boats while we're away. So it's difficult to have a great deal of sympathy for someone who seems so unaware. It could be the wake up call she needs.

Someone else who is going to turn it into a healing space. Perhaps homeopaths don't believe in auto bilge pumps, just bilge...

Our boat which cost around £100K when it was built didn't have an auto bilge pump.

I know for a fact that if my boat sank folk wouldnt give a hoot, but only happy to use it when they could.

I think you'd find that if your boat was sinking, the vast majority of fellow boaters would do whatever they could to help you in your hour of need. That's certainly the impression I've got over the last year anyway.

Ah thanks, I read it as being moored "off the Regents Canal" and had assumed it to be on water which had canal-like qualities.

It can happen on a canal too. e.g. Boat sitting on a ledge or even a steep bank and the pound is drained because the lock is required to be left empty and, often, the bottom paddle(s) are opened but the top paddles not closed. When the pound is (rapidly?) re-filled water enters through the cockpit drain even though it was normally the required 10" above water level.

I know of two such occurrences. Both semi-vee a'la Springer hulls at the same CRT mooring on the K&A above lock 64, Church Lock. After this I always blocked the offside drain when leaving the boat unattended for a week or two.

BW allowed the previously sunken boat a free years mooring fee 'without prejudice' but that only covered half the cost of drying the boat and replacement of soft furnishings. I received a 'phone call at 10pm saying that my boat had sunk and I spent the night camped on the bank whilst one, then two and three small bilge pumps evacuated the water. Surprisingly, the batteries and often decried red key isolater were able to power the pump when under water.

Professional assistance is expensive, I would prefer to offer my time, effort and equipment rather than contribute cash.

Alan

I think you'd find that if your boat was sinking, the vast majority of fellow boaters would do whatever they could to help you in your hour of need. That's certainly the impression I've got over the last year anyway.

Yes i agree there, i take back that statement, it was more to do with the non boater folk i know, they show interest but when needs must they disappear, Just a moan really from me in the wrong topic about friends ( neighbours ) seeing me working on my boat and stop to chat and ask when it will be done and if they can come along for a trip on it, not an offer to help out with it though.

Let's see. Boat. Working. Living in London. Enough money to go to a music festival. But no insurance. Hmmmmm

Someone else who is going to turn it into a healing space. Perhaps homeopaths don't believe in auto bilge pumps, just bilge...

You should be ashamed of yourselves, as should the cowards that gave you greenies.

I hope you never ever come on to this forum or anywhere else seeking help.

Well put have a greenie!

and you

Insurance, its a gamble isn't it.

if I have a £600 car and the difference between third party and fully comp is £200, I'm quids in in three years if I don't have a crash.

If I have a boat, and it's just a toy and fully comp is expensive and means jumping through a load of hoops, I go third party and take the hit if the worst happens.

I insure my house, and my car if i need it for my livelihood.

If I lived on a boat I think I would insure it fully comp, no question, anybody not doing is taking a huge gamble, their choice. There will be some loosers.

I'm not digging in my pocket to bail a bad gambler out.

Edited by rasputin

Let's see. Boat. Working. Living in London. Enough money to go to a music festival. But no insurance. Hmmmmm

No insurance? How did she get a licence then?

She must have had third party insurance. Typically £75 cheaper than fully comp. Either that or the boat was too old and un-surveyed (or had a bad survey) so didn't qualify for fully comp.

While many people seem to feel sorry for someone who's boat has sunk with no insurance I wonder how they would feel if the same boat hit theirs causing expensive damage while not insured.

Surely no insurance means no CRT licence? CRT will only grant you a licence if your boat is insured and you have a valid BSS certificate. (???)

Surely no insurance means no CRT licence? CRT will only grant you a licence if your boat is insured and you have a valid BSS certificate. (???)

The only insurance you need to licence your boat is 'third party'.

CRT have no interest in whether you insure your boat against 'all risks' or not.

i invited her to stop in Leighton Buzzard for the evening and to join me for a bottle Tescos finest Red, but strangely she chose to press on down the GU single handed in the dark with no lights.

You charmer wink.png No expense spared!

Strangely. Or sensibly?

There are forks in life. If she had joined you for a glass she might have picked up some boating tips and not sunk.

Assumption is the mother of all !

Erm herm.... family forum... feck up please.

You should be ashamed of yourselves, as should the cowards that gave you greenies.

I hope you never ever come on to this forum or anywhere else seeking help.

and you

Pleasant chap aren't you.

Insurance is available.

You either insure or you don't. If you insure and the worst happens you get paid. If the worst doesn't happen you paid the money for nothing.

If you gamble on not insuring, you take a risk.

If the worst happens, you lose.

Except we now have the mentality, pushed by the baying, snarling class that even if you take that chance and lose, you should be protected.

Tell you what, I think I'll start a crowd funded campaign to recover the money that I've paid out on premiums over the years when I didn't need to.

The only insurance you need to licence your boat is 'third party'.

CRT have no interest in whether you insure your boat against 'all risks' or not.

I stand corrected. never really thought about the minimum insurance required. When we got our boat last year we just carried on with the same type of insurance it had (with Collidge) - 135 Pounds/year - covers fire & theft & sinking I guess. I should run through the policy again to check.

It can be fun reading the comments under Youtube videos and Daily Mail articles, especially the ones that say stuff like 'The Daily Mail is crap and the management should all be sacked' - I suspect these are written by the Dimmy Mail's own "journalists". Especially when the DM claims that comments have been vetted...

Pleasant chap aren't you.

Insurance is available.

You either insure or you don't. If you insure and the worst happens you get paid. If the worst doesn't happen you paid the money for nothing.

If you gamble on not insuring, you take a risk.

If the worst happens, you lose.

Except we now have the mentality, pushed by the baying, snarling class that even if you take that chance and lose, you should be protected.

Tell you what, I think I'll start a crowd funded campaign to recover the money that I've paid out on premiums over the years when I didn't need to.

The problem.is Dave people have to want to contribute to crowd funding because they think it is a good cause. Now I was happy to contribute to this lady as have many others not sure you would get the same result