Tethering on Three

Featured Posts

My 'One Plan' with Three is coming to an end next month.

Staying with Three, I'm looking at a sim only deal with unlimited data, 8gb of which is for tethering. I'm not able to tell how much I'm tethering at the moment so does anyone know if there is a way of keeping an eye on it?

Thanks.

Staying with Three, I'm looking at a sim only deal with unlimited data, 8gb of which is for tethering. I'm not able to tell how much I'm tethering at the moment so does anyone know if there is a way of keeping an eye on it?

Thanks.

Three do an App which tells tells you, amoungst other things, how much tethering data you have used.

Tim

If you've a smart phone it should tell you.

My Samsung S4 Mini tracks data usage and I can set an alarm when it gets to a certain level

Edited to add:

Mine can be found in:

SETTINGS>NETWORK CONNECTIONS>DATA USAGE

Edited by BlueStringPudding

Go Into 'Settings'

Click 'Mobile Data'

You can then see a graph showing how much data you have used - 'slide' the lines apart to show what period (day / week / month) you want to look at.

Then - scroll down and it will show usage by application - For example in the last week I have used

2.43 gb in hotspots/tethering

45.32mb on google maps

10.57mb in google play store

9.46mb android OS

4.55mb Google Play service

4.39mb internet

1.35mb Navigation

1.11mb Google search

and so on, and so on.

Thanks.

if 3 have not been in touch about terminating the service at the end of the contract say nowt and sit in the corner quietly.

I have just changed from all you can eat to a dongle with data for my convenience, however I was well over the end of contract period, and I hadn't been offered a change.

My one-plan (AYCE including tethering) at £15 per month ended almost 2 years ago - its still going strong.

Today my Son has purchased a 3 PAYG Sim and package which is 500 minutes calls, AYCE texts and AYCE Data (including hot-spot/tethering) for £20 per month.

I asked the 'girl' if she was sure about the AYCE Tethering and she said "Yes", I asked her to check, she asked the Store Manager, he said Yes. I said the 3 Website said AYCE data but tethering was limited to 4GB, she phoned 3 who confirmed that yes - AYCE includes tethering.

Worst case (if they were all wrong) is that having paid £20 + £1 for the SIM he is cut off after 1 month - he then gets another and start again.

Just keep using it until you hear otherwise.

3 don't seem to know when you're tethering! My PAYG is supposed to be no tethering but I've tethered almost daily since I got it. Same deal, different user, friend was leaving his phone in hotspot mode in a tupperware box on the roof of his boat so other people in the marina could tether and download films.

3 don't seem to know when you're tethering! My PAYG is supposed to be no tethering but I've tethered almost daily since I got it. Same deal, different user, friend was leaving his phone in hotspot mode in a tupperware box on the roof of his boat so other people in the marina could tether and download films.

I spoke to them recently to discuss my one plan monthly contract and they knew my total usage and how much of that was tethered (still unlimited though on my plan which is supposed to be obsolete, but not been formally notified yet).

Another one on an expired one plan here, mine ran out at least a year ago.

Still have unlimited tethering although like others this may only be because I am not a heavy user of it even though it wipes the floor with my home broadband (home = 12mb download / 1.2mb upload, tethered = 40-50mb download / 10-20mb upload)

Another one on an expired one plan here, mine ran out at least a year ago.

Still have unlimited tethering although like others this may only be because I am not a heavy user of it even though it wipes the floor with my home broadband (home = 12mb download / 1.2mb upload, tethered = 40-50mb download / 10-20mb upload)

Similarly for us.

Our 'Land-Line' broadband was consistently below 1mb ( we are about 3 miles from the exchange at the end of a copper wire, and it struggled to get to us), The Land-line with broadband was costing us £50 per month ( with free calls etc etc)

We went to "Three" and got 5000 minutes of calls (more than we can make), 5000 texts (4990 more than we make) and unlimited data and tethering for £15 per month we get between 2mb and 4mb ( once had 29.94mb) so it was a no-brainer, cancelled the land line and now only have the mobiles

Another happy Three customer. I have the £15 a month, unlimited data plan. I'm a heavy user, Netflix, iPlayer, Prime etc, and so far my tethering hasn't been capped.

Not sure what speeds I get, as I haven't measured, but it's fine for streaming HD films and TV.

I spoke to them recently to discuss my one plan monthly contract and they knew my total usage and how much of that was tethered (still unlimited though on my plan which is supposed to be obsolete, but not been formally notified yet).

Maybe they can see your usage when they examine your account but they're definitely not policing it. Friend used 160GB one month and over 110GB the next month by offering his hotspot as a free-for-all around the marina, I'm still surprised he got away with it but he did, and he claims to have been doing the same thing for years. This was on one of those £15 3 PAYG bundles, the one where they just put the price up to £20 last month.

Another happy Three customer. I have the £15 a month, unlimited data plan. I'm a heavy user, Netflix, iPlayer, Prime etc, and so far my tethering hasn't been capped.

Not sure what speeds I get, as I haven't measured, but it's fine for streaming HD films and TV.

Is that plan still available?

Is that plan still available?

The current equivalent is about £20 a month, with unlimited data, but a 4gb cap on tethering. I was told I was moved onto the new tariff (although still at the old price) with a 4gb tethering limit in Feb, but so far my tethering hasn't been restricted in any way.

At the time I asked how much tethered data I was using and was told that they couldn't tell. Not sure if that's still the case.