£20k crowdfund appeal

MtB

Featured Posts

You're bang on the money.

In a while crowd funding will be so badly discredited by shitbags like him that no-one will give to any project no matter how worthwhile.

The big question I'm asking is how can people like him be exposed and stopped?

Simple answer is they can't be stopped unless they are committing a criminal offence. Sinking a cheap empty shell and getting 20k to refit it though ought to be a criminal offence.

I have attempted to tweet Piers Morgan, and pointed him at this thread.

I have also reported the funder itself to the funding company as suspected fraud- hopefully they will investigate.

However, looking at their terms and details on how people get the money from their funders, each payment made for this sham was sent directly to his Paypal account as and when they came in, so he has already banked north of 5k.

Edited by Starcoaster

i note that the facebook entry of River Canal Rescue operation to re float this fine vessel has a glowing testimonial from the happy customer which includes this quote

"I really appreciate all you at RCR have done for me & I will definitely be taking our a policy with you & recommending your services to my friends"

if this is correct why would RCR carry out a free rescue if the gentleman concerned does not currently hold a policy.

the mystery deepens

i note that the facebook entry of River Canal Rescue operation to re float this fine vessel has a glowing testimonial from the happy customer which includes this quote

"I really appreciate all you at RCR have done for me & I will definitely be taking our a policy with you & recommending your services to my friends"

if this is correct why would RCR carry out a free rescue if the gentleman concerned does not currently hold a policy.

the mystery deepens

You can join RCR if you are already broken down or in need of their services. They charge a premium though and you have to purchase a minimum level of cover (silver I believe).

The relevant law would be the Fraud Act 2006

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/fraud_act/#a07

probably section 2 "Fraud by false representation": The article says [this occurs if]

The defendant:

• made a false representation
  • dishonestly
  • knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading
  • with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The offence is entirely focused on the conduct of the defendant.

Maybe also section 11 (obtaining services dishonestly).

It's criminal law, so the question is whether, if people complain to the police, they feel there's enough evidence of an offence to pass it to the CPS, and whether they then think it's worth bringing a case.

This is a most disgusting story, about a real barsteward abusing the kindness of fellowboaters and other nice people with their hearts at the right place.

If all these kind people that put their donations on this abusers paypal account get to know the truth about this matter, they may not be that kind anymore if someone else at a later stage is really badly in the need of some financial help, as once you've been bitten by a con artist like this guy, you don't want to take that risk again.

Piers Morgan sounds like just the right person to help other people out because of all his friends on FB/Twitter, I'll ask him if he can help me out too, as I've lost a boat trip ticket for a 1 hour tour on the Seine in Paris, and would like people to donate money towards this 15 € loss, and if it works well enough, I'll do a cruise around the world instead.

Peter.

The Boat Guy asking for the funding sounds like a Con Man!, and he should be ashamed.

Scum taking the Pi-s give all Funding Oraganisation a bad name and provoke mistrust/withheld Donations to genuine people who need a bit of help from the Public.

Their are genuine causes, this cause does not look like one.

£20 k frusty.gifohmy.png

Good Thread OP, i think people should be made aware that this goes on.sad.png i hope its not deleted.

Edited by grumpy146

I am one of those who called him out on this on LB when it first came up... My own personal opinion (and not that of CWDF or anyone else, for legal purposes!) is that the guy is a con artist, and I told him so plainly as well.

Totally agree... met him once - guy's an utter blagger!

Trouble is, to be painfully honest - there are a lot of stupid people about..

Maybe Mike's just jealous that HE didn't think of it first... any man without at least THREE boats is positively deprived! ninja.gif

I thought the idea of "crowd funding" was that a whole bunch of investors could get a return on their individually tiny chunks of capital? Charitable donations can go through Just Giving, which at least means the beneficiary can get the income tax back on the donations via Gift Aid.

Or is the distinction too subtle?

Edited by Machpoint005

I thought the idea of "crowd funding" was that a whole bunch of investors could get a return on their individually tiny chunks of capital? Charitable donations can go through Just Giving, which at least means the beneficiary can get the income tax back on the donations via Gift Aid.

Yes, but that's only for people that have earned enough money to be taxed on, I'm sure that many of the donators were just relatively poor fellowboaters that gave some of their hard needed dosh because they felt so sorry for this con artist, while of course not knowing he is one.

Because their income isn't high enough to pay income tax, they can't deduct the amount of their donation, and their money is lost.

So for someone wealthy enough, it doesn't really cost to donate, as they can claim it back on their income tax.

Peter.

There is a comments box at the bottom of his page. Has anyone tried asking the obvious questions there? Or does he just delete them?

Oooooh yes. First of all he was just deleting the negative comments, as of this morning all of the comments, positive and negative, have been deleted.

Yes, you are right about crowdfunding

Charitable donations must be to a registered charity to qualify for tax relief

This guy's pitch is neither - it's begging pure and simple

Or, given that he is a new age 'healer' of some sort and most of the early donations seem to be from people he knows/ex clients i would say it's more of a revival tent type scam he's doing. Anyone with half a brain can deduce that he is asking for money to fund his lifestyle which no doubt includes winters in Goa

If people are dumb enough to give him money more fool them

Oooooh yes. First of all he was just deleting the negative comments, as of this morning all of the comments, positive and negative, have been deleted.

Yesterday my "slightly" negative comment lasted about 5 mins!