It's definitely the silly season!

nicknorman

Featured Posts

We never normally go out in August, too crowded etc. but anyway, just starting a 2 week trip, for our sins. Set off at 10am this morning and so far:

1 major canal rage incident at Glascote locks, one boater refused to come out of the lock to let another in, lots of shouting and tooting of horns and threats of physical violence. I spoke tithe ones trying to get in (going same way) before hand, seemed pleasant enough. Spoke to other lot afterwards, seemed very pleasant if shaken. Both couples middle aged to elderly, well spoken.

Now just passed a boat at a bridge hole (no bridge). Approaching, it looked like we were well matched on arrival time but on their side was a moored boat so I decided to keep going with the expectation they would slow down for the boat (they were going quite fast with a fair bit of wash) thus making it "my bridge". However they didn't slow down and so we had near identical arrival times, although I reckon we still had the edge. Bit of brinksmanship but I thought they didn't deserve right of way due to speeding past the moored boat. They gave way eventually but didn't look happy. I thanked them on passing, and received the V fingers for my trouble. Seemed odd from an obviously retired couple well dressed.

Yes I could have given way but equally they could have. It didn't seem to justify the obscene gesture.

So I've come to the conclusion that the youth of today are maligned and it's the old fogies who are the belligerent hooligans.

Anyway, lets see what the next few hours brings, I've got Atherstone to do!

We never normally go out in August, too crowded etc. but anyway, just starting a 2 week trip, for our sins. Set off at 10am this morning and so far:

1 major canal rage incident at Glascote locks, one boater refused to come out of the lock to let another in, lots of shouting and tooting of horns and threats of physical violence. I spoke tithe ones trying to get in (going same way) before hand, seemed pleasant enough. Spoke to other lot afterwards, seemed very pleasant if shaken. Both couples middle aged to elderly, well spoken.

Now just passed a boat at a bridge hole (no bridge). Approaching, it looked like we were well matched on arrival time but on their side was a moored boat so I decided to keep going with the expectation they would slow down for the boat (they were going quite fast with a fair bit of wash) thus making it "my bridge". However they didn't slow down and so we had near identical arrival times, although I reckon we still had the edge. Bit of brinksmanship but I thought they didn't deserve right of way due to speeding past the moored boat. They gave way eventually but didn't look happy. I thanked them on passing, and received the V fingers for my trouble. Seemed odd from an obviously retired couple well dressed.

Yes I could have given way but equally they could have. It didn't seem to justify the obscene gesture.

So I've come to the conclusion that the youth of today are maligned and it's the old fogies who are the belligerent hooligans.

This is why we have booked our final holiday of 2015 in October when normality will have resumed and the waters will be a lot quieter.

If I'd have known I'd have said "hello". Is the dry dock available for hire again? Wouldn't mind taking the boat out sometime to check the 2 pack blacking.

NC yes, we normally do 2 weeks in April, June and September but this year I wanted to do more gliding in the spring so it's July, August and October this year. Could be a mistake!

Can't see why anyone would not come out of a lock once it was filled/empied. Maybe they were just in the mood for an argument.

Can't see why anyone would not come out of a lock once it was filled/empied. Maybe they were just in the mood for an argument.

I think it was because there was a boat already in the pound waiting at the next lock, with limited bollards. It's not a very short pound though, room for 4 boats at least. The guy in the lock presumably expected the lady in the incoming boat to "hover", so he wouldn't have to hover" on exit, which seemed a little selfish as it would mean holding them up for the duration of a lock cycle which is very slow at Glascote bottom lock (v slow filler).

So he was in the wrong, but also the other couple over-reacted.

Must be a very deep dry dock, big echo!

Hope your horn ruled rolleyes.gif

On the subject of elderly belligerent hooligans, I note that the lager swilling youthful louts of my 40's are now the same lager swilling louts but with grey hair and beer guts. I somehow imagined they would have matured into responsible real ale drinkers by now wink.png

• Greenie 1

Had a similar situation at an obstruction yesterday, I was clearly the nearest but told that I should of gave way as the other boat were on the tow-path side and so had right of way

Had a similar situation at an obstruction yesterday, I was clearly the nearest but told that I should of gave way as the other boat were on the tow-path side and so had right of way

Surprised you didn't counter that with but I'm the leeward boat rolleyes.gif

• Greenie 1

I've not heard that one before, but if the other boat was a Hudson then of course it would be correct. :)

We have just come off the Oxford onto the Coventry. Everybody warned me how busy the Oxford would be, but can't say I noticed that it was TBH. I have seen the Shroppie busier. We have been out since mid May and are both surprised how quiet the canals are this year.

.... both surprised how quiet the canals are this year.

I have to say we were also surprised at this, apart from the odd bit here n there. Still took the precaution of getting off in mid July though! Maintenance visit next week, but we'll leave setting sail again until September once the schools are back in session. Sounds like my plan remains a good 'un.;)

Lock rage on he T&M today - going up the flight, there's a boat sitting in the entrance of the next lock waiting to come out as I rise gently towards the air. She doesn't move until I'm nearly at the top, when she gets off her boat (singlehanding) goes up the top, shuts the lock gates in my face, and drives the rest of the way out. The guy helping me said a few words...

For those of you who like quieter waterways you would do well to get your self ooop North and spend time up here.

Never really noticed any discernible difference in traffic particularly in the North East.

Yes the 'honey pot' locations like Skipton get/got busier but I think the school holidays made very little real difference elsewhere.

For those of you who like quieter waterways you would do well to get your self ooop North and spend time up here.

Never really noticed any discernible difference in traffic particularly in the North East.

Yes the 'honey pot' locations like Skipton get/got busier but I think the school holidays made very little real difference elsewhere.

Do not listen! They are awful, noisy, crowded and smelly. I would urge boaters to stay away from anywhere remotely North ;)

I have to say we were also surprised at this, apart from the odd bit here n there. Still took the precaution of getting off in mid July though! Maintenance visit next week, but we'll leave setting sail again until September once the schools are back in session. Sounds like my plan remains a good 'un.wink.png

Hardly seen any kids this year!

Do not listen! They are awful, noisy, crowded and smelly. I would urge boaters to stay away from anywhere remotely North wink.png

Hardly seen any kids this year!

And don't come onto the Weaver its so busy must be 20 boats on here at the moment

It's not just Glascote. I was briefly at Fradley at lunchtime, seeing a man about a boat. Standing outside the pub, I watched as a downhill boat turned right on to the Coventry, just as an uphill boat from Burton was about to exit the lock and follow the first boat round. The female steerer of the uphill boat wasn't slow to comment about the ungentlemanly behaviour of the boat in front, though I believe that he was fully entitled to turn. I was underwhelmed, not sure what the other customers and assorted bods thought....it takes all sorts, I suppose!