Canal & River Trust appoints head of boating

Ray T

Featured Posts

How many times will you repeat this sort of stuff?

At what point will you accept, and understand the damage being caused to the waterways and it's heritage?

When will you finally see what's going on here?

When will you recognise that the waterways will not survive in their present state from pr alone?

When you recognise there are other views than your own.

• Greenie 3

Mike Grimes was been appointed as the Trust’s head of business boating in April 2015. He spent a large part of his career working for British Airways, most recently as head of customer operations at Gatwick

If you visit frequent flyer forums, you'll find that BA's customer experience at Gatwick is very highly rated -- certainly much better than at Heathrow.

I met Mike Grimes recently and was very impressed. He has been a boating enthusiast since childhood and is especially interested in historic boats. Combining the roles of Head of business boating and boating in general makes a lot of sense. He came across as very passionate about the waterways, willing to listen and not afraid to make changes where justified. . I am sure that with his BA customer focussed background he will prove to have been an excellent appointment.

In terms of general CRT management since becoming more involved I've found it to be actually quite lean when you consider the scale and diversity of the waterway system.

Regards

David L

• Greenie 2

I met Mike Grimes recently and was very impressed. He has been a boating enthusiast since childhood and is especially interested in historic boats. Combining the roles of Head of business boating and boating in general makes a lot of sense. He came across as very passionate about the waterways, willing to listen and not afraid to make changes where justified. . I am sure that with his BA customer focussed background he will prove to have been an excellent appointment.

In terms of general CRT management since becoming more involved I've found it to be actually quite lean when you consider the scale and diversity of the waterway system.

Regards

David L

Well that's good to know but why not mention it in the press release?

However John it isn't necessary to have experience of the industry to do a good job, beneficial yes vital no.

During the 20 years we had the jewellery shops we frequently read in the trade press Mr X had been appointed to a management role in some multi million pound jewellery business or other. At first our reaction was "hopeless no experience apart from perhaps wearing a pair of cuff links". They almost invariably managed to do brilliant jobs despite no knowledge of jewellery production and often non of marketing either.

I agree with Martin give him a chance and then criticise if (ok if you are so certain when) he fails.

Agreed. When IBM was in serious decline they invited a biscuit maker to take over running the company, and he did a great job. The name was Lou Gerstner. You really don't need to be an engine driver in order to run a railway.

• Greenie 1

Agreed. When IBM was in serious decline they invited a biscuit maker to take over running the company, and he did a great job. The name was Lou Gerstner. You really don't need to be an engine driver in order to run a railway.

There are some on the forum who choose to ignore the fact. I find it fascinating that when it comes to individual boaters the majority say don't speculate, we don't know the full facts, live and let live etc. However when it comes to CRT they are straight in with both feet (foot and mouth syndrome) and condemn before they have had a chance and before the full facts are know.

There are some on the forum who choose to ignore the fact. I find it fascinating that when it comes to individual boaters the majority say don't speculate, we don't know the full facts, live and let live etc. However when it comes to CRT they are straight in with both feet (foot and mouth syndrome) and condemn before they have had a chance and before the full facts are know.

And vice versa.

I've emailed to ask for a copy of their organisational structure, I wonder what I'll get back.

"Thank you for your e-mail.

We just wanted to let you know that its taking us longer to respond to our emails than usual because of the high volume of enquiries were handling right now. Were really sorry for the delay and are working very hard to get back to our usual prompt timescales as soon as possible.

If you need a reply sooner please do give us a call on 0303 040 4040 and let us know that youve also sent this e-mail.

Kindest regards,

Sarina Young and the Customer Service Team "

Watch this space then?

Daniel

Leaving aside any arguments as to the merits and suitability of any one particular individual, I would like to hear why C&RT actually need a 'Head of Boating'

Also leaving aside arguments on the validity of describing C&RT as a Navigation Authority and the functions and responsibilities with which they should be concerning themselves, surely " boating" is something that takes care of itself and resides in the hands of those who own or use boats on C&RT's waters.

The existence of such a job and title is totally unnecessary and pointless and his Salary needs spending elsewhere and on other things . . . . . . real things, such as ensuring there is a navigable canal system in good working order and full of water on which all this boating can happen.

Leaving aside any arguments as to the merits and suitability of any one particular individual, I would like to hear why C&RT actually need a 'Head of Boating'

Also leaving aside arguments on the validity of describing C&RT as a Navigation Authority and the functions and responsibilities with which they should be concerning themselves, surely " boating" is something that takes care of itself and resides in the hands of those who own or use boats on C&RT's waters.

The existence of such a job and title is totally unnecessary and pointless and his Salary needs spending elsewhere and on other things . . . . . . real things, such as ensuring there is a navigable canal system in good working order and full of water on which all this boating can happen.

I don't think you (or any of us) can justify that view until Heffalump has had sight of the organisational structure.

I don't think you (or any of us) can justify that view until Heffalump has had sight of the organisational structure.

I would say that his job/role description would be more relevant to TD's point TBH.

I have had a quick furtle around their web site but can't locate it now that it is no longer an open vacancy though.

I'm not even going to ask, or comment, about "the organizational structure", because that's just another meaningless phrase, but I think that my views re. the need for a ' HoB' can be justified by looking back at what the last one did, and examining precisely how "boating" changed for the better during her time.

Their organisational structure as of Nov 2014 can be found at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/7730-asset-management-team.pdf

Having looked at that, it's just a list of names with fanciful job titles being paid a lot of money to do jobs that don't really exist by an organization that does nothing but hold meetings with no purpose or outcome other than to ignore real issues that do merit attention, talk up problems that don't exist, and fix the date and time for the next meeting.

Management for management's sake, and to no end or purpose, other than Empire building.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I have to say that I don't know why a marketing director is needed.

The canals market themselves to boat-owners. The properties need selling or renting, but the person in charge of doing so shouldn't be on the main board.

Then you don't understand CRT's role as a charity.

A navigation authority (pure and simple) wouldn't need one (and if BW had one I would suggest their role would be superfluous) however as a charity things have changed........as I keep saying.

Really? How can a finance director, property director and marketing director all do the same thing? In what way are these job titles 'fanciful'?

I would say, just think about that question by coming at it from the opposite direction . . . . what prevents them from all doing the same thing, and what's the relevance of such positions within a navigation authority, . . . . . . . particularly when you consider the fact than none of them could direct piss into a canal, even if they knew what a canal is.

Then you don't understand CRT's role as a charity.

A navigation authority (pure and simple) wouldn't need one (and if BW had one I would suggest their role would be superfluous) however as a charity things have changed........as I keep saying.

Perhaps you don't understand the functions of a marketing director.

I can see the need for somebody to plan and oversee fund-raising, but that's a different job.

Perhaps you don't understand the functions of a marketing director.

I can see the need for somebody to plan and oversee fund-raising, but that's a different job.

I understand the role perfectly thanks. It's certainly broader than simple fundraising for sure.