Canal & River Trust appoints head of boating

Ray T

Featured Posts

John - surely the idea is that the CRT person spends his time with you and not that they are taken round a group of people who seem to have an axe to grind. I am quite sure the CRT are quite capable of boating with a buddie who is not awfully enthusiastic about CRT. I just cannot imagine they would wish to boat with you if your aim was to do as you suggest.

I seem to recall that 'boating buddies' was John's idea but you attempt to lecture him on it.

The fact remains that boater satisfaction with the Trust (according to CaRT's own figures) has fallen from 71% (2013/14) to 64% last year (2014/15) against a target of 75%.

It is also a fact that CaRT's board were told a year ago 'only one in four (24%) boaters say they feel respected by the Trust'.

Why that is 'having an axe to grind' is beyond me.

Whilst, I believe that it would be wrong to do what John suggests if taking fairly junior staff out on a boating buddies trip, with more senior staff, I would hope that they actually took the opportunity of talking candidly to boaters in an informal environment about these problems.

Yes CRT do own some boats - Sculptor is one example but as an historic former working boat and an accessioned museum exhibit is not at all suitable - there are also similar boats at Ellesmere Port but again none are suitable in my opinion. However they do obtain discounts, I believe, through Drifters (http://www.drifters.co.uk) and I understand the new SE waterway manager has recently spent some time boating to see things for herself .

I would have thought "Sculptor" was the ideal boat to take CRT'ers out on. First hand experience of a proper boat is without any doubt jumping in at the deep end but it does rather bring home "what it is all about".

When "Barnet" was used for the Buddies trips most enjoyed it well, unfortunately CRT do employ some dummo's who were a waste of time taking out or just didn't turn up but the majority in my mind benefited from being on the "real thing" rather than a formica lined floating maisonette (Hire boat).

Let em choke on the exhaust and clear the prop the hard way, then they learn.

If i can co-ordinate it will be going down the Buckby flight

Just came down there. Nowhere suitable for winter moorings.

I suspect a stoppage there again shortly as well. One of the gates only opens halfway, then drops.

Let me know when, I will go down before you and leave all the gates open and paddles up.☺

Oh. I'll turn back, you may need a hand. Drop me at the bottom, and you start at top.

The boating buddies scheme is advertised generally to all staff through their internal newsletter "Source". Staff then follow a link to find out who has offered during the coming year. They can ring, text or email the boater to arrange a date and pick up point.

Boaters who have offered give a rough idea of where they might be and when they are available.

Sometimes it's not easy to accommodate everyone because of full diaries or being in the wrong place.

All of the trips we have done have been really worthwhile. Both sides learn lots I believe. It's always friendly and relaxed.

You will probably end up at Charters, the floating bar in Peterborough.

Sounds like a good place to hand out legal advice

Or simply somewhere to agree some further stretches 2 day short term moorings over a pint or two?

If i can co-ordinate it will be going down the Buckby flight

Try and pick a time when another bit of a gate has not collapsed!

The boating buddies scheme is advertised generally to all staff through their internal newsletter "Source". Staff then follow a link to find out who has offered during the coming year. They can ring, text or email the boater to arrange a date and pick up point.

Boaters who have offered give a rough idea of where they might be and when they are available.

Sometimes it's not easy to accommodate everyone because of full diaries or being in the wrong place.

All of the trips we have done have been really worthwhile. Both sides learn lots I believe. It's always friendly and relaxed.

Just searched the January 2015 issue of "The Source" but could not find any mention.

However, from the June issue -

Take a break from the office and enjoy a day on the water Boating Buddies is back for another year offering you the chance to spend a day on the water with one of our boating customers to learn about what life afloat is like and to give them an insight into the behind the scenes work that we do at the Trust – and, if you’re lucky, enjoy some sunshine while taking in the stunning waterway scenery.

Most boaters can accommodate between two and four people so you can hook up with colleagues and go in small groups. Take a look at the information and avaiable dates on Gateway/people/ boating buddies.

So it looks like it was relaunched a couple of months ago.

I think that they only ask us if we are willing to sign up again in March or so when we have decided where we want to go. It will take a few weeks for replies to be collated and I would guess the June issue of Source is only finalised in May to meet a printing deadline. The requests seem to begin in June or July.

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM Leo No2, on 16 Sept 2015 - 4:20 PM, said:snapback.png

John - surely the idea is that the CRT person spends his time with you and not that they are taken round a group of people who seem to have an axe to grind. I am quite sure the CRT are quite capable of boating with a buddie who is not awfully enthusiastic about CRT. I just cannot imagine they would wish to boat with you if your aim was to do as you suggest.

I am perfectly aware of what the scheme is about as I was the one who came up with the idea and found the first 30 odd boating buddies. The idea was to spend a day on a boat boating and meet and speak to other boaters. Exactly as I did when I had Richard Parry and others as boating buddies. It was not set up as a glorified day out hence why it was agreed that employees who went at weekends would get a day off work to compensate. I still have all the original emails

I think Leo No. 2 is right. Indeed that was the original sentiment, no ear bashing being specifically mentioned. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55850

Our trips have generally been for a full day and we make them work all day, teach them how to drive, work locks, (if on the L&L use swing bridges). Obviously we will answer any questions they have. As things crop up we will try and get them to see / understand some of the issues but we don't beat them over the head, our agenda is to make sure that at the end of the day they really appreciate how wonderful the canal network is, warts and all. If we overhear one saying to another you know I would love to try hiring a boat we do a silent high five. Not sure if this actually happened but if they did go back and say to the guys at Stanley Ferry those new gates at XXX are really fantastic, can we have more like that then that is a bonus.

Posted Yesterday, 04:26 PM Leo No2, on 16 Sept 2015 - 4:20 PM, said:snapback.png

I think Leo No. 2 is right. Indeed that was the original sentiment, no ear bashing being specifically mentioned. http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55850

As you were not at the original meetings I had with Sally Ash not sure how you know. The idea came following a boaters meeting in Skipton and Sally (as did i) felt it would be a good idea to get staff oit and about on the system doing boating and listening to and meeting boaters. I am not saying ear bashing but listening to different views

We did lots of trips with Dean, great bloke and a real asset to CRT.

His was-is indeed. He also had a mind that was functional. Was very adept at listening and looking at solutions.

One has to wonder at the mindset of some who either "shifted" him on, or "let him leave the position".