Canal & River Trust appoints head of boating

Ray T

Featured Posts

Tony, Not sure if that last entry was tongue in cheek, but 'Mike’s background is in building and maintaining excellent relationships with customers' as in building relationships. Code for PR man AKA spin doctor.

I'm seriously thinking of applying to BA to be Head of Flying.

Of course, that could just be the inference that the C&RT Press Office hope will be put on this particular bit of "spin".

Given C&RT's track record on achieving targets and keeping to estimates, I would have thought that ex-builders would be very near the top of their preferred type of candidates list for yet another office chair polishing vacancy.

From his LinkedIn profile:

An action orientated and dynamic people leader whose drive, commitment and innovation has led to an exceptional career within the customer and operations sectors. A proven track record as a cross-functional team player, with the ability to influence and engage at all levels. Results driven, with a robust experience of delivering on complex business transformation program's to drive efficiencies, profit, colleague engagement and an exceptional customer experience. Leading in house teams and building strong business partnerships as a dynamic, motivated self-starter, who thrives on delivering outstanding results under pressure, in challenging competitive and customer environments.

We're clearly in safe hands.

An action orientated and dynamic people leader whose drive, commitment and innovation has led to an exceptional career within the customer and operations sectors. A proven track record as a cross-functional team player, with the ability to influence and engage at all levels. Results driven, with a robust experience of delivering on complex business transformation program's to drive efficiencies, profit, colleague engagement and an exceptional customer experience. Leading in house teams and building strong business partnerships as a dynamic, motivated self-starter, who thrives on delivering outstanding results under pressure, in challenging competitive and customer environments.

I wonder what all that means in plain English ? . . . . . . although that bit towards the end of the third line does still sounds as though he might be have been a builder.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I didn't realise Tony had a linkedln profile, I'm impressed.

Sounds great. In the world of copy and paste, we can all have God-like abilities, just like this chap.

I wonder what all that means in plain English ? . . . . . . although that bit towards the end of the third line does still sounds as though he might be have been a builder.

That should be his first job - translating it into plain English for the peasants among us! Good to read of his extensive boating background and experience. Just what you need for "Head of Boating"!

Howard

Like I said we'll suited to the job hours in front of the computer researching other people's bull**** then finding the best bull**** to use. What a load of ********. Everyday I fear more for my fellow boaters when the organisation from the top down is run by people that have no understanding of the canals we love but can just spout *****

That should be his first job - translating it into plain English for the peasants among us! Good to read of his extensive boating background and experience. Just what you need for "Head of Boating"!

Howard

Well it fits in well with those above him. A few visits to the pubs along the system and Visitor Moorings will be sorted

Edited by DeanS
site guidelines

It means two thirds of feck all.

A good way to get under the surface of this double-speak is to imagine if anyone would ever claim the opposite - eg would anyone ever say they are not 'action orientated' and 'dynamic' when profiling themselves.

It lists no specific or measurable abilities at all.

Like I said we'll suited to the job hours in front of the computer researching other people's bull**** then finding the best bull**** to use. What a load of ********. Everyday I fear more for my fellow boaters when the organisation from the top down is run by people that have no understanding of the canals we love but can just spout *****

Well it fits in well with those above him. A few visits to the pubs along the system and Visitor Moorings will be sorted

You would hope he would have the intelligence to at least proof read it.

I wonder if there is any chance that they could be given a chance at the job before the CWDF mafia take out a contract,on them....

Pathetic..

Well there seems to be quite a cross section passing comment.

I think from reading on here and from comments on the towpath people are losing faith in the CRT management. It is all PR

Maybe you could help me and name 2 or 3 things that have happened in the last 2 years that have benefited boaters.

I was having a cup of tea this morning at the cafe by the Stourport Lock that goes into the basin. One of the paddles is broken and wrapped with yellow tape so CRT are aware, I asked the cafe owner how long it had been like that and he said "months" he then went on to say that the guy who wrapped in yellow tape had said to him "CRT no longer care about broken paddles"

The problem with CRT is its culture. It reminds me of the NHS I used to work in.

I also worked with people who did a fantastic job in management roles but in order to get the job they had to to put corporate bollocks in their CV........

Well there seems to be quite a cross section passing comment.

I think from reading on here and from comments on the towpath people are losing faith in the CRT management. It is all PR

Maybe you could help me and name 2 or 3 things that have happened in the last 2 years that have benefited boaters.

I was having a cup of tea this morning at the cafe by the Stourport Lock that goes into the basin. One of the paddles is broken and wrapped with yellow tape so CRT are aware, I asked the cafe owner how long it had been like that and he said "months" he then went on to say that the guy who wrapped in yellow tape had said to him "CRT no longer care about broken paddles"

I can't and I concede I said much the same when Parry got the job, and he has proven to be a disappointment, a big one.

All I am suggesting is people are jumping the gun. If in two years nothing has changed then yes, they are a rubbish appointment agreed.

Edited by Theo
To remove quoted personqal abuse

The problem with CRT is its culture. It reminds me of the NHS I used to work in.

I also worked with people who did a fantastic job in management roles but in order to get the job they had to to put corporate bollocks in their CV........

That does not say much for senior management at NHS and to be honest says a lot about CRT for buying into that c*** (save Dean from editing)

What it does say to me is CRT must be very thin on the ground with people that actually understand what boating is about and that is another worry. I presume even the NHS were going to appoint someone to a senior medical role they would expect them to have some knowledge of medicine. I never appointed any Transport Managers unless they had spent time on the road driving at least a Class 2

I can't and I concede I said much the same when Parry got the job, and he has proven to be a disappointment, a big one.

All I am suggesting is people are jumping the gun. If in two years nothing has changed then yes, they are a rubbish appointment agreed.

Problem is Martin I honestly don't think we can wait 2 years. Parry has had 2 years and we are going backwards.

That does not say much for senior management at NHS and to be honest says a lot about CRT for buying into that c*** (save Dean from editing)

What it does say to me is CRT must be very thin on the ground with people that actually understand what boating is about and that is another worry. I presume even the NHS were going to appoint someone to a senior medical role they would expect them to have some knowledge of medicine. I never appointed any Transport Managers unless they had spent time on the road driving at least a Class 2

Senior medical roles required experience as a medic of course they did/do.

Not all senior NHS managers have any sort of clinical background though, this being my point. Lots of them were c*** (to save Dean's bandwidth).

The best director I worked with was an ex pharmaceutical rep. with no clinical background what so ever, the worst was a GP who took great delight in bullying people.

It's about the person, if they succumb to being 'corporate' I doubt they will succeed in the eyes of boaters.

Edited by MJG

Problem is Martin I honestly don't think we can wait 2 years. Parry has had 2 years and we are going backwards.

Fair comment. I'm just suggesting some of the thread content is being premature.

Edited by MJG

I think the fact that the guy has been made head of boating, he should at least have some sort of experience?

A bit of common sense needed here.

I just don't get what's going on lately, and I have to agree with John, the last two years has seen something that was looking better, suddenly go backwards, very abruptly.

Edited by jenlyn

. I never appointed any Transport Managers unless they had spent time on the road driving at least a Class 2.

However John it isn't necessary to have experience of the industry to do a good job, beneficial yes vital no.

During the 20 years we had the jewellery shops we frequently read in the trade press Mr X had been appointed to a management role in some multi million pound jewellery business or other. At first our reaction was "hopeless no experience apart from perhaps wearing a pair of cuff links". They almost invariably managed to do brilliant jobs despite no knowledge of jewellery production and often non of marketing either.

I agree with Martin give him a chance and then criticise if (ok if you are so certain when) he fails.

The Canal & River Trust has appointed Mike Grimes to the redundant position of head of boating - now dundant again, bringing his current negligible responsibilities for business boating together with the Trust’s licensing and enforcement departments which are really important.

The newly combined team will work on plans that will meet the needs of the entire boating community rather than looking at business boating separately from the wider customer base. They will officially consult and then do whatever they come up with in their bluesky meetings, breakout sessions and thinktanks developed from in depth IWA complaints about access to certain pub moorings.

Streamlining the teams by adding to personnel on a logarithmic basis will ensure there is consistency in processes, such as boat licensing, and in communications to all boaters. The role is focused on putting the customer first, and Mike will report to the executive head of customer services.

Ian Rogers, executive head of customer services at the Trust, said: “Boaters, of all types, contribute so much to the waterways, in fact if they weren't there, the waterways would not exist, however, we don't want them there all the time. It’s important that we can listen to them and pretend to pander to their needs, whilst looking after voles, cyclistas and fisherfolk. It makes sense to have both private and business boating under the same banner, so any improvements are for the greatest good for all, especially bertyh for Wyvern boats at pubs(please delete for press release due to sperling mistake). Mike’s background is in building and maintaining excellent relationships with customers and ensuring that their needs are listened to and acted upon. I’m delighted to welcome him to the role.”

Mike Grimes was been appointed as the Trust’s head of business boating in April 2015. He spent a large part of his career working for British Airways, most recently as head of customer operations at Gatwick which has seen BA remove it's transatlantic flights from the base and sell off it's slots to EasyJet., before leaving last year to restore a historic property in the Fens

Edited by matty40s

However John it isn't necessary to have experience of the industry to do a good job, beneficial yes vital no.

During the 20 years we had the jewellery shops we frequently read in the trade press Mr X had been appointed to a management role in some multi million pound jewellery business or other. At first our reaction was "hopeless no experience apart from perhaps wearing a pair of cuff links". They almost invariably managed to do brilliant jobs despite no knowledge of jewellery production and often non of marketing either.

I agree with Martin give him a chance and then criticise if (ok if you are so certain when) he fails.

How many times will you repeat this sort of stuff?

At what point will you accept, and understand the damage being caused to the waterways and it's heritage?

When will you finally see what's going on here?

When will you recognise that the waterways will not survive in their present state from pr alone?

The Canal & River Trust has appointed Mike Grimes to the redundant position of head of boating - now dundant again, bringing his current negligible responsibilities for business boating together with the Trust’s licensing and enforcement departments which are really important.

The newly combined team will work on plans that will meet the needs of the entire boating community rather than looking at business boating separately from the wider customer base. They will officially consult and then do whatever they come up with in their bluesky meetings, breakout sessions and thinktanks developed from in depth IWA complaints about access to certain pub moorings.

Streamlining the teams by adding to personnel on a logarithmic basis will ensure there is consistency in processes, such as boat licensing, and in communications to all boaters. The role is focused on putting the customer first, and Mike will report to the executive head of customer services.

Ian Rogers, executive head of customer services at the Trust, said: “Boaters, of all types, contribute so much to the waterways, in fact if they weren' there, the waterways would not exist, however, we don;t want them there all the time. It’s important that we can listen to them and pretend to pander to their needs, whilst looking after voles, cyclistas and fisherfolk. It makes sense to have both private and business boating under the same banner, so any improvements are for the greatest good for all, especially bertyh for Wyvern boats at pubs(please delete for press release due to sperling mistake). Mike’s background is in building and maintaining excellent relationships with customers and ensuring that their needs are listened to and acted upon. I’m delighted to welcome him to the role.”

Mike Grimes was been appointed as the Trust’s head of business boating in April 2015. He spent a large part of his career working for British Airways, most recently as head of customer operations at Gatwick which has seen BA remove it's transatlantic flights from the base and sell off it's slots to EasyJet., before leaving last year to restore a historic property in the Fens

Your application for head of corporate PR has been rejected.......;)