Canal & River Trust appoints head of boating

Ray T

Featured Posts

But CRT does not have a Marketing Director it does have a Head of Fundraising

Isn't Simon Salem both Fundraising and Marketing, or has he already moved on?

(As you may gather - I may not be keeping up here!....)

EDIT:

Forget that - I'm assuming he has already gone!.......

Edited by alan_fincher

Then you don't understand CRT's role as a charity.

A navigation authority (pure and simple) wouldn't need one (and if BW had one I would suggest their role would be superfluous) however as a charity things have changed........as I keep saying.

In fact, It's C&RT who don't understand their role, which is clearly defined in the Articles of Association.

Judging by the manner in which they conduct themselves, not one single member of C&RT's 'management team' from Parry upwards has either heard of, or read, this document.

The most up to date and current structure does seem pretty hard to locate if as is being said the 2014 one is already outdated, it's a tad concerning that something so important seems to shrouded in mystery.

Edited by MJG

Isn't Simon Salem both Fundraising and Marketing, or has he already moved on?

(As you may gather - I may not be keeping up here!....)

EDIT:

Forget that - I'm assuming he has already gone!.......

Seems you are not Simon has retired and is currently enjoying himself in Southern Italy

CRT currently only have 3 directors it is really just a one man band

That is what i would have expected, but I made the mistake of taking somebody else's word for it that they had one.

In fact, It's C&RT who don't understand their role, which is clearly defined in the Articles of Association.

Judging by the manner in which they conduct themselves, not one single member of C&RT's 'management team' from Parry upwards has either heard of, or read, this document.

It is not the purpose of the Articles of Association to define an organisation's role.

The Memorandum defines the objects of the operation, but that is a separate document.

That is what i would have expected, but I made the mistake of taking somebody else's word for it that they had one.

Well according to the link posted earlier they certainly had one last year. But there is no clarity around whether he was replaced or not.

UVZfFcT.jpg

I would say, just think about that question by coming at it from the opposite direction . . . . what prevents them from all doing the same thing, and what's the relevance of such positions within a navigation authority, . . . . . . . particularly when you consider the fact than none of them could direct piss into a canal, even if they knew what a canal is.

For example ...

A finance director would (or should) be CIMA qualified. He or she would know a little (but not enough) about marketing and property.

A person looking after the property portfolio (drawing up leases, receiving rents, paying rates, insuring the estate etc) would not have the necessary financial qualifications to do the FD's job, but might be a chartered surveyor.

A marketing or fundraising director in the third sector wouldn't have the first idea how to deal with the estate, or how to draw up accounts.

I could go on...

Could YOU do any of those jobs?

For those that don't 'do' Dropbox

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/9295-governance-handbook-30-march-2015.pdf

Ed. - not sure if that helps TBH as it makes no reference to the detail of the management structure.

Edited by MJG

Well according to the link posted earlier they certainly had one last year. But there is no clarity around whether he was replaced or not.

UVZfFcT.jpg

What clarity are you missing? He handed his notice in in January and left in July giving CRT 6 month to find a replacement but at this stage it would seem 6 months was not long enough for Richard Parry as he has not replaced him yet.

The Memorandum defines the objects of the operation, but that is a separate document.

So am I understanding this correctly? Page 3 points 2.1 to page 4 - 2.7 of the Articles of Association of the Canal and River Trust under the heading "Objects" aren't actually the objects?

I am more confused than usual!

For example ...

A finance director would (or should) be CIMA qualified. He or she would know a little (but not enough) about marketing and property.

A person looking after the property portfolio (drawing up leases, receiving rents, paying rates, insuring the estate etc) would not have the necessary financial qualifications to do the FD's job, but might be a chartered surveyor.

A marketing or fundraising director in the third sector wouldn't have the first idea how to deal with the estate, or how to draw up accounts.

I could go on...

Could YOU do any of those jobs?

No, but apparently, neither can any of C&RT's non-directorial Directors, as they farm all that sort of stuff out to outside agencies and companies, along with non-maintenance and anything else that they can avoid getting involved with.

What clarity are you missing? He handed his notice in in January and left in July giving CRT 6 month to find a replacement but at this stage it would seem 6 months was not long enough for Richard Parry as he has not replaced him yet.

I wasn't aware of that.

I meant I was unable to find any up to date information about whether the post still existed or if it had been appointed to.

For a body in part funded by the tax payer there seems to be a lamentable lack of current and up to date information in the public domain about who holds what post currently or even what posts exist, I would have expected to be able to find the management structure, at least at Board/exec. level and those who report to them in a readily available link on their web site but seemingly not.

I wasn't aware of that.

I meant I was unable to find any up to date information about whether the post still existed or if it had been appointed to.

For a body in part funded by the tax payer there seems to be a lamentable lack of current and up to date information in the public domain about who holds what post currently or even what posts exist, I would have expected to be able to find the management structure, at least at Board/exec. level and those who report to them in a readily available link on their web site but seemingly not.

Now you're being hopeful. Surely if they did that then someone might actually be found to be inadequate.

Bob

Now you're being hopeful. Surely if they did that then someone might actually be found to be inadequate.

Bob

It certainly doesn't give an impression of transparency.

When I worked for the NHS the management structure of the NHS Trust I worked for was easily and readily found on the 'net, I seem to recall we were obliged to and it had to include a bit of background info. about each board member and exec/non exec.

It certainly doesn't give an impression of transparency.

When I worked for the NHS the management structure of the NHS Trust I worked for was easily and readily found on the 'net, I seem to recall we were obliged to and it had to include a bit of background info. about each board member and exec/non exec.

How the trust sees itself, and what it actually is, has, and will be a problem for some time I suspect.

This role is all about spin. RP tried the nice 'I'm a boater like the rest of you' approach (and failed), now he's trying to delagate the concept and we're paying.

Mr Parry, the canals are bigger than you. Let it go and just help everyone keep it alive. One day you might enjoy retiring here...

• Greenie 2

This role is all about spin. RP tried the nice 'I'm a boater like the rest of you' approach (and failed), now he's trying to delagate the concept and we're paying.

Mr Parry, the canals are bigger than you. Let it go and just help everyone keep it alive. One day you might enjoy retiring here...

Greenie. That is a very good post.

Retire? Maybe another £500,000 pay off

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/exclusive-all-aboard-the-gravy-train--tfl-pays-100000-to-365-staff-7836062.html

He was paid £503,271, including £367,534 compensation for loss of office after being forced to make way for current Tube boss Mike Brown. Mr Parry, now a director with First Group, refused to comment.

Retire? Maybe another £500,000 pay off

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/exclusive-all-aboard-the-gravy-train--tfl-pays-100000-to-365-staff-7836062.html

He was paid £503,271, including £367,534 compensation for loss of office after being forced to make way for current Tube boss Mike Brown. Mr Parry, now a director with First Group, refused to comment.

Eventually we all learn that time and quality with those you love is more important than money...