Stolen Boat on Ashby Canal

deckhand

Featured Posts

Can't answer then, eh?

Speculation is how we learn and understand unexpected situations. Or how I do anyway.

If the owner is offended by it he is free to say so. Doesn't need you to bat for him.

see below

It's beginning to look like as with most supposed stolen boats, the supposed victim isn't sure enough of their claim of 'boat stolen' to have reported it to the Police...

Was it before or after 27th July?

It's odd how the owner seems to feel no sense of urgency in seeking the missing boat. Well over a week before a crime number or photo emerges into the public domain. And an odd turn of phrase, being "forced to move on" from Shackerstone. I wonder why he said that and if/how it relates to the theft.

Yes. The arch turn of phrase makes me wonder if is she is actually back on that Shackerstone mooring again, put back perhaps by an unmentioned joint owner of the boat. Or person who considers themselves a joint owner.

Not wishing to upset anyone but...

Boat goes missing needing a new superstructure.

Boat is reported missing.

Delays happen in getting description of said boat out.

Time passes.

Boat found with no superstructure.

Does look like an insurance job on the outside as where's all the bits that came off it? Ashby to where it was found is not that far.

Of course the owner could have removed the superstructure previous to it going missing but that was never mentioned.

You still haven't explained why speculation is a Bad Thing.

I imagine this is because you can't.

because, with no evidence, you imply several times that the boat is not really stolen and therefore the owner is not being truthful

the owner posts an explanation

you do not apologise

It's posts like yours that make the forum an unfriendly place & unlikely keep new members

get it now? cos i'm done explaining

• Greenie 3

because, with no evidence, you imply several times that the boat is not really stolen and therefore the owner is not being truthful

you do not apologise

It's posts like yours that make the forum an unfriendly place & unlikely keep new members

100% agree. I'm deeply uncomfortable with the totally unfounded speculation that has occurred on this thread. If my boat was stolen then trashed I'd hope for a little more empathy from the boating community. But then my boat is scruffy, has junk on the roof, we're continuous cruisers and - oh hell - when we're working during the winter we sometimes wonder whether our cruising range is enough to satisfy the constantly shifting goalposts! Apparently that automatically makes us misstakers!

We're damned to hell! No chance of empathy here.

you do not apologise

Well frankly I disagree.

Taken in context as the story unfolded, and in the light of previous experiences of the board being taken for a ride by false reports of stolen boats, I don't think my comments were especially out of order.

Then victim the turned up, calmly answered each of my points in turn, I thanked him and he doesn't seem particularly offended.

I don't see a problem.

Your bad tempered accusations are every bit as off-putting to new members as my posts in this thread, in my personal opinion.

Reading the boat owners post they did not make it clear the superstructure had actually been removed - but if you read it again, all he talks about re id is that the hull is easily spotted. (If the superstructure was still there, he would have mentioned that as it's almost unique - but it's gone!).

I think it's just an omission of detail written as he is a newbie on forums.

Good luck with retrieving it. smile.png

Edited by mark99

you do not apologise

Greenie.

I'm deeply uncomfortable with the totally unfounded speculation that has occurred on this thread.

Why? Postulating various ideas of what may have happened to the boat shows that people are interested and concerned. Would you rather read threads which did not interest or concern anybody?

Hello all,

Well, unfortunately I was away checking out other areas and trying to spread the word when Cally got found and all these other posts appeared.

Firstly, and most importantly, thanks to all those who helped (or at least tried) with locating Cally.

Regarding how near to the Ashby she was found, I am very saddened and upset that I didn't go down there to make absolutely sure. Unfortunately the evening I found her missing (the day after she left the Ashby) I spoke to a boater and partner (moored a few miles from the end of the Ashby) about what had happened and tried to get any information they might have. I was informed that they'd just come from Coventry and had seen nothing like that at all, which in my shocked state I logged in my brain as being certain that she wasn't down that bit of the Coventry Canal. I have no reason to doubt that this information was given in complete good faith, but I ought to have checked it for myself.

Replacing the superstructure: Yes I was planning to do this, but the plan was to do this in sections in 3mm steel to closely match the original (bow topped) superstructure shape as accurately as possible. This was to be done by removing the zinc and plywood skin, then fitting the new section over the remaining timber structure (bulkheads, runners, ribs) prior to welding to the hull. That won't work now, so if I can still bring myself to tackle the job after so much damage has been done I will need a completely new plan.

Insurance: What insurance? Cally had Basic Boat Liability insurance only - innocent soul that I am I never expected the whole boat to be stolen and most of the stuff inside had far more sentimental value than cash value, or so I used to think anyway. When it comes to replacing it, I might change my mind! So if any of you were thinking this was a glorified insurance scam you are sadly mistaken.

I don't know whether or not the engine is still there yet. I have heard that there may be a photo out there showing her stern sitting far too high in the water. It could be that this was the whole point of the theft - someone was stealing a Lister SR2 to order? But that is speculation on my part of course. I can't see what anyone would have wanted with all the very poor condition plywood of the superstructure, but most of the copper wiring was up there and copper has a good scrap value.

As yet I'm unsure what actions the police have taken, they don't appear to have let me know as far as I can tell. Perhaps they don't want to jeopardise their investigations.

Oh yes, as you can probably tell from one of my comments above, the superstructure had not been removed by myself. My reason for highlighting the unusual shape of the hull was that I expected the thieves to modify the superstructure in some way, even if it was only by painting it a new colour (I wasn't quite expecting such extreme measures!). However regardless of any quick changes they could have made to the superstructure, altering the shape of the hull would require serious amounts of work so I was trying to get people to focus on that as a way of confirming Cally's identity.

I'm not going to comment too much on the speculation discussions, and now I've started writing this I can't see all of the previous posts to refer to. However, to re-iterate my first comment, thanks to all those who helped. I believe it was Mike the Bolierman who made the effort to improve and provide pictures? Mark 99 offers support. Lonewolf offers defensive support, supported by Ange. (Apologies to those I've missed, but these are the recent ones I can see). Any negative stuff is unlikely to tempt me to join in forum discussions much in the future, but then perhaps I'm just not the kind of person that enjoys it. May I suggest all working together folks, to try to make the boating world a better place?

In reponse to the member who offered to close this thread (if that's the right term) now that Cally has been found then I think that is probably a good idea, and thank you (sorry, I can't see you name whilst writing this with me being a "newbie"). However, perhaps give it another day to allow others their opportunity to contribute if they so desire, and close it tomorrow morning?

I'm glad Cally has been found, but very sad at her damaged state. What happens from here will depend on how good / bad things are. As I think I said before, in my opinion neither Cally or I deserved this.

• Greenie 2

Good morning, and thanks for taking the time to post that, as I'm sure your mind must be elsewhere at the moment. I hope you find a way of resurrecting Cally if that's what you want to do.

Yes thanks you from me too.

I apologise for the questions I asked earlier in the thread. They seemed reasonable at the time to me, but others here clearly think otherwise.

My commiserations on the fate of Cally Hanna. Somehow i feel it is still better to have found her in this state than never to find out what happened, as was the case with Que Sera Sera, and several other missing boats reported on here.

Bear in mind the people responsible for wrecking her may not be aware you've found her, and may yet return to continue their 'work'.

(Spelling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

As I think I said before, in my opinion neither Cally or I deserved this.

Agreed

And don't despair. We've seen these sorts of things here before, boats that have suffered complete disasters. It's amazing how often an event like this becomes a catalyst for kick starting some great rebuilds. Something to do with 'it can't possibly get any worse' perhaps

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Cally, thank you for taking the time to post, please ignore any negative stuff and take to heart the fact that within this forum is a wonderful group of caring and knowlegable individuals who, will go out of their way to help other boaters.

I appreciate you need some time to let the dust settle and work out where you go from here but, if you do decide that you want the boat to rise again then please come back here and share your hopes and plans with us.

People on this forum are very generous, with their technical knowledge and with their time and support. I also know that people who are upgrading an item on their boat may well be willing to offer the old one to another boater who has a genuine need at a bargain basement price.

The majority of people reading this thread will really be feeling it for you right now and will want to help in some way but feel helpless as there is nothing we can do but type a few words of support.

• Greenie 1

Yes Richard, I believe that, for example, one forum member has a quite splendid tug-style boat which he rebuilt from a burnt-out shell.

Heart of Gold. Luctor has sold that one. There's also Unicorn, and a vicar who had a vandalised boat - I can't remember his username

Richard

Your imagination is absolutely correct. I had forgotten that forum colleague Luctor & Emergo had done a similar job on a wrecked boat some time previously.

its ET! wink.png

Standards are dropping.

Latin standards that is.

Edited by mark99

I am glad you have found your boat. Sad that it is in the condition it is. I do hope that you can find a way to get it back to how you want it. I posted initially on the forum in the hope that someone in the area may possibly spot it. I hope that it was the right thing to do and that you ignore the negative parts and stay with the forum. There are a few nice people on here, some very helpful that may be able to help in the future. . Good Luck

We have electricity, aeroplanes, televisions, radio, radar, modern medicine, robots building cars and the Internet - because of speculation. "What if...?" Questions are asked, things are looked at from different angles, theories tested... and the truth reveals itself.

We are all curious to know what this (assumed/reported-as-such) theft is all about, are we not?

Personally I wonder what use is an old boat - is the hull still OK and within thickness limits? Has blacking been done? Can it really be rebuilt to a standard passing BSS regulations?

If a genuine theft, then the insurance company should pay what they promised, and any shortfalls could be seen to by everyone on here chipping in to help.