How NOT to moor up at the local pub

bigste

Featured Posts

So what exactly which bit of the helicoptor failed first? From the video it looked as though the tail rotor failed, causing the fuselage to spin around and hit the pub. But the tail rotor is one of those enclosed ones so is quite protected.

Amazing the two occupants had only minor injuries.

So what exactly which bit of the helicoptor failed first? From the video it looked as though the tail rotor failed, causing the fuselage to spin around and hit the pub. But the tail rotor is one of those enclosed ones so is quite protected.

Amazing the two occupants had only minor injuries.

The video is a bit fuzzy, but I got the impression that as he rotated anticlockwise the tail clipped a lamp post.

Clearly that stopped the tail rotor and caused a more violent anticlockwise rotation which would have caused either the tail section or the lamp post to give way, and allow the remains of the tail to rotate into the pub.

What on earth he was doing trying to land where there were uprights like that is a mystery.

How well does the pilot fly after he's had a drink?

Given the general tendency of pilots not to make stupid, life threatening decisions when flying (or more specifically, when landing), I wonder if he had an overwhelmingly urgent need to land there specifically.

(That we know nothing about, I mean.)

Given the general tendency of pilots not to make stupid, life threatening decisions when flying (or more specifically, when landing), I wonder if he had an overwhelmingly urgent need to land there specifically.

(That we know nothing about, I mean.)

It appears he hovered, then went around to try again. To me, that suggests he was where he intended to be

There's something missing from this story to do with why the helicopter was where it was. Is it even clear he was attempting to land?

Richard

Given the general tendency of pilots not to make stupid, life threatening decisions when flying (or more specifically, when landing)

Really? It's funny how there are lots of this type of crash, rich person with shiny new PPL(H) in his hands, thinks he can land anywhere!

Anyway, if I was on one of those boats I'd have been pretty peed off even if he hadn't crashed, the down-wash from even a fairly small helicopter is very destructive and I bet lots of small debris would have been hitting the boats, even before the large debris from the disintegrating helicopter!

Ah yes, that old chestnut. What's the most dangerous nut on a helicopter?

The one flying it...

I always thought the most dangerous part was the jesus nut (so called because that's the first thing said when it fails)

Really? It's funny how there are lots of this type of crash, rich person with shiny new PPL(H) in his hands, thinks he can land anywhere!

Ahhh, now I was wondering if that could be behind it.

OFF-TOPIC If it is a Gazelle, will it be an ex military aircraft?

Richard

Richard

Yes I think so, quite a lot were sold off to private owners. They don't have civilian certification so they're operate on a "permit to fly" which is the same set of rules used by homebuilts etc.

Edit: there's a better video here, if you can make it past the adverts!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/11744843/Helicopter-crashes-while-landing-at-pub-in-Ireland.html

Edited by nicknorman

Ahhh, now I was wondering if that could be behind it.

Richard

The Aircraft is G-BXTH, ex-RAF XW866

Owned by Mannifest Live, an Isle of Man registered company, which appears to be a concert promoter.

Reported as having a maintenance Check on 9th July at Blackpool, and to be flying over the IOM on 10th July

Yes I think so, quite a lot were sold off to private owners. They don't have civilian certification so they're operate on a "permit to fly" which is the same set of rules used by homebuilts etc.

Edit: there's a better video here, if you can make it past the adverts!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/11744843/Helicopter-crashes-while-landing-at-pub-in-Ireland.html

So, the lamp post in the first video isn't actually where it looked to be!

Looking at the second video, at 27 seconds, there is a white object framed in the doorway that appears suddenly and appears to be moving away from the tail. Immediately after this, the tail section starts to distort, bending upwards and the helicopter dips forwards,

Are we seeing catastrophic structural failure of the tail section here?

Anyway, if I was on one of those boats I'd have been pretty peed off even if he hadn't crashed, the down-wash from even a fairly small helicopter is very destructive and I bet lots of small debris would have been hitting the boats, even before the large debris from the disintegrating helicopter!

Indeed! The local air ambulance landed at an RTA on the A6 and managed to clear the entire roof contents of a liveaboard on the nearby canal.

George ex nb Alton retired

Indeed! The local air ambulance landed at an RTA on the A6 and managed to clear the entire roof contents of a liveaboard on the nearby canal.

George ex nb Alton retired

Oh well, something good came out of it then! Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

I reckon they were landing to go to the pub as the airfield is only about a mile away.Abbeyshrule is only a tiny village with nothing but two pubs as far as i can remember and the place is rural,surrounded by farm land.

https://www.google.ie/maps/place/Abbeyshrule,+Co.+Longford/@53.5825134,-7.6575535,1810m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x485dced474eb07dd:0x746ced34c84d3d39