Validating That A CRT Volunteer Is A CRT Volunteer.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Volunteers wear BW shirts according to its CaRT's response to a FOI request -

I'm not sure what this sentence is trying to say, but it doesn't look plain English to me as written!

Edited to -

Volunteers wear BW shirts according to CaRT's response to a FOI request ...

That information would appear to be out of date, even if it were ever true, and doesn't really help now.

FMC steamer captains allegedly wear bowler hats, though I'm not sure that helps here either!

Whilst I think there is nothing wrong with injecting a bit of humour into this topic, I am uncomfortable that people are carrying out activities claiming to be CRT volunteers, but CRT seem not immediately able to work out either who those people are, or what they are supposed to be doing.

As it is not just me that is uncomfortable about it, but also some of those encountering it, I think it is worth trying to establish what is going on, and whether it is "legit" or not.

If CRT don't actually know someone is doing it, but they are "badged" as CRT, this has toi be wrong, surely?

Whilst I think there is nothing wrong with injecting a bit of humour into this topic, I am uncomfortable that people are carrying out activities claiming to be CRT volunteers, but CRT seem not immediately able to work out either who those people are, or what they are supposed to be doing.

As it is not just me that is uncomfortable about it, but also some of those encountering it, I think it is worth trying to establish what is going on, and whether it is "legit" or not.

If CRT don't actually know someone is doing it, but they are "badged" as CRT, this has toi be wrong, surely?

I totally agree. They should be able to provide you with a phone number to confirm their identity. In view of what I have heard on here, I think it's better to be safe and check.

What makes you think I was trying to be humorous, Alan ?

I think this is just a very good example of like attracting like. A strange and unworldly organization like C&RT attracts some sad weirdo's who get a thrill out of pretending that they're part of it . . . . . . not really very surprising at all !

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Alan, I am finding this all a little far fetched. There is a funny smell with it. Do you seriously believe that someone is going to all the trouble of getting uniforms and fabricating id badges? (As starry states they were pretty pukka).

Someone somewhere is telling porkies I think.

Alan, I am finding this all a little far fetched. There is a funny smell with it. Do you seriously believe that someone is going to all the trouble of getting uniforms and fabricating id badges? (As starry states they were pretty pukka).

This happened to some friends of mine last summer up NE. They were abused and threatened by someone in CRT wear, then offered out for a fight by another man the 1st one phoned.

Turns out he used to be the fishing baliif, but not at the time of the incident.

This happened to some friends of mine last summer up NE. They were abused and threatened by someone in CRT wear, then offered out for a fight by another man the 1st one phoned.

Turns out he used to be the fishing baliif, but not at the time of the incident.

Has he been relocated to whilton?

I have no idea, nor am I in the habit of guessing.

Any number of things are possible.

For example, it may be somebody who is genuinely registered with CRT as a volunteer, issued with a uniform and badge, but who has decided to go and carry out an activity CRT know nothing about. For example a "mooring ranger" from a site where CRT do have them, acting without authority at one where they do not.

I'm not saying that is the case, but it is one of many possibilities.

It seems worth trying to nail it to me, because I would prefer those doing this were doing it with CRT's knowledge. (I would prefer even more that they were not doing it at all, but that is a different issue!).

People who rattle tins and ask for money while pretending to be acting for a charity certainly go to the trouble of uniform and fake badges , I know they do it for the cash but weirdo,s may do it for other reasons , maybe just for laughs as they read these forums.

I have no idea, nor am I in the habit of guessing.

Any number of things are possible.

For example, it may be somebody who is genuinely registered with CRT as a volunteer, issued with a uniform and badge, but who has decided to go and carry out an activity CRT know nothing about. For example a "mooring ranger" from a site where CRT do have them, acting without authority at one where they do not.

I'm not saying that is the case, but it is one of many possibilities.

It seems worth trying to nail it to me, because I would prefer those doing this were doing it with CRT's knowledge. (I would prefer even more that they were not doing it at all, but that is a different issue!).

I think "someone" at CRT knows something, but are perhaps being a little coy about it.

The idea of someone wearing fake ID and recording boat numbers/asking people when they're going to move is frankly ridiculous. These people are clearly CRT volunteers and the chap who says they're not is either a reflection of the shambles of the organisation or an outright liar. Possibly both.

Far more likely they are CRT (staff or volunteers) and CRT management don't know they are doing it even if those on the ground do. From CRTs perspective I am sure they are not going to understand what the problem is.

• Greenie 1

The idea of someone wearing fake ID and recording boat numbers/asking people when they're going to move is frankly ridiculous. These people are clearly CRT volunteers and the chap who says they're not is either a reflection of the shambles of the organisation or an outright liar. Possibly both.

Sorry, but it is FAR from ridiculous.

There are a number of cases in other walks of life where people will go to some lengths to give themselves the appearance of being a legitimate authority, for a variety of reasons, whether financial, or to engage in enforcement of behaviour in others that the legitimate authority declines to pursue.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/306925/Fake-traffic-warden-issued-35-fines-to-150-of-his-neighbours

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/updated-bogus-traffic-warden-targeting-drivers-in-north-lincolnshire-has-he-got-you-2297702.html

• Greenie 2

I'd like one and all to know I am now a volunteer for The Mafia.

I am authorised to measure up anyone who interrupts me during my early morning scratch for a new uniform as made by Blue Circle.

Edited it once times to remove my dabs

Edited by zenataomm

It is none the less entirely possible that this is someone who is legitimately a CRT volunteer at other times, (or who has been one in the past, and not returned the T-shirt), operating somewhere they are not supposed to be, and without CRT's knowledge.

I'm not in the game of calling anybody a liar with no supporting evidence to that effect. I would like to get to the bottom of it though, so strongly suggest that anybody who sees somebody recording boats at Whilton asks for that person to give them identification, (or takes a picture of them, if they will not provide any).

Sorry, but it is FAR from ridiculous.

There are a number of cases in other walks of life where people will go to some lengths to give themselves the appearance of being a legitimate authority, for a variety of reasons, whether financial, or to engage in enforcement of behaviour in others that the legitimate authority declines to pursue.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/306925/Fake-traffic-warden-issued-35-fines-to-150-of-his-neighbours

http://www.newsrt.co.uk/news/updated-bogus-traffic-warden-targeting-drivers-in-north-lincolnshire-has-he-got-you-2297702.html

If I remember correctly the individual in question was wearing exact "uniform" down to volunteer on the arm which isn't quite the same as the two reports in the links. One appears to have been done at the dead of night and the other just relied on all black clothing.

I admit I haven't looked back to see what the OP said about clothing but CRT "uniform" isn't as easily subconsciously registered as all black for Police, traffic wardens, security staff etc goes into the brain as automatically "official".

If I remember correctly the individual in question was wearing exact "uniform" down to volunteer on the arm which isn't quite the same as the two reports in the links. One appears to have been done at the dead of night and the other just relied on all black clothing.

I admit I haven't looked back to see what the OP said about clothing but CRT "uniform" isn't as easily subconsciously registered as all black for Police, traffic wardens, security staff etc goes into the brain as automatically "official".

Now you've got me thinking. When I met the volunteer lock keeper at Littleborough, he was with another guy dressed in a black uniforum (black pants, white shirt) holding a clipboard....bit less friendly than the bubbly volunteer guy in his hi-vis top etc...and blue CRT shirt. I thought the guy in black was from CRT, but then the next day the official CRT data logger walked by and asked me for my index number, as I was on the offside getting water.

So who knows who the guy in black was.

I did also have 2 CRT guys wheel a very loud lawnmower past my boat at 8am....only to wheel it back again 10mins later...to their van...and they left. None of the towpath between my boat and their van had been trimmed, so I'm not sure what all that was about either....

all very confusing/amusing

Now you've got me thinking. When I met the volunteer lock keeper at Littleborough, he was with another guy dressed in a black uniforum (black pants, white shirt) holding a clipboard....bit less friendly than the bubbly volunteer guy in his hi-vis top etc...and blue CRT shirt. I thought the guy in black was from CRT, but then the next day the official CRT data logger walked by and asked me for my index number, as I was on the offside getting water.

So who knows who the guy in black was.

Some years ago there was a BW chap who was regularly seen in the Hebden Bridge and Todmorden area. I don't know what his job was, but his uniform consisted of black military style sweater with white BW logo, crisp white shirt, black trousers with razor creases, and black boots polished until you could see your face in them. His whole manner and bearing was military. Could this be the same chap?