Minimum distance? The enforcement officers have it in black and white.

Doodlebug

Featured Posts

It would be interesting to know whether the boating community as a whole are happier since CRT started introducing more rules/policies. I'm guessing not...

If I'm right, then why do they persist wasting our money on it?

Good point!

It would be interesting to know whether the boating community as a whole are happier since CRT started introducing more rules/policies. I'm guessing not...

The trouble is that your idea of the "boating community" is I suspect rather stilted. CCers, who make up a relatively small percentage of total boat owners, are the ones mostly affected by the increased enforcement. But the vast majority of boats live in marinas and just pop out for the odd sunny weekend are probably glad of the increased enforcement because they find fewer instances of moorings clogged up with scruffy CMers.

The trouble is that your idea of the "boating community" is I suspect rather stilted. CCers, who make up a relatively small percentage of total boat owners, are the ones mostly affected by the increased enforcement. But the vast majority of boats live in marinas and just pop out for the odd sunny weekend are probably glad of the increased enforcement because they find fewer instances of moorings clogged up with scruffy CMers.

Possibly replaced by grounded Hudson's wink.pngtongue.png

The small number of forum members regularly posting on this form are probably not representative of the boating community as a whole.

I suspect that the majority of the boating community are happy that CRT are tightening up on their rules and policies

although marina boaters who "pop out" for a few months, are not so happy with the "new" "feel" of the waterways.

although marina boaters who "pop out" for a few months, are not so happy with the "new" "feel" of the waterways.

A boater myself and Stan were talking to today was very unhappy he has a home mooring in Stourport and spends 3 months of summer just cruising a 10 mile stretch between Kidderminster and kinver

spends 3 months of summer just cruising a 10 mile stretch between Kidderminster and kinver

while looking over his shoulder every week and wandering if he'll receive a norty letter come re-licensing time.

I feel this thread helps to demonstrate why the canal system will at some point be broken up and sold off ;)

If someone moors for ages and ages in the middle of nowhere on the north Oxford nobody is going to be bothered. Do that in Hackney and someone is going to smell the £££ at some point surely.

You sell the north oxford type areas to marina operators to sort it out and sell the Hackney type areas to people who like making money out of other people's need to have shelter :)

Seems like a winwin situation.

Boaters get leisure canals with marinas at each end to go boating on and residential boat dwellers get moorings. BTL moorings anyone :lol:

Edit t

Edited by magnetman

Presumably you had a pm from the mod concerned if it is the one about a Kidder not sure what was wrong with it what did the mod say?

Had some news. Paul stated he was doing a background database copy, and feels the forum may have ate my post. He is going to look into it.

Hopefully, if he can solve it, he can come around and look at my washing machine. That has the habit of eating socks, leaving me with odd ones.

• Greenie 1

Speak for yourself!

Personally I am happy that CRT are finally cracking down.

I don't see a "new feel" to the waterways in the slightest.

• Greenie 1

Had some news. Paul stated he was doing a background database copy, and feels the forum may have ate my post. He is going to look into it.

Hopefully, if he can solve it, he can come around and look at my washing machine. That has the habit of eating socks, leaving me with odd ones.

I have the answer to that I think the odd ones end up at the laundrette as I seem to end up with more socks than I started with.

Weird though that it chose your post to delete in the middle of a debate with Paul C

I have the answer to that I think the odd ones end up at the laundrette as I seem to end up with more socks than I started with.

Weird though that it chose your post to delete in the middle of a debate with Paul C

Yes, odd indeed.

I feel this thread helps to demonstrate why the canal system will at some point be broken up and sold off wink.png

If someone moors for ages and ages in the middle of nowhere on the north Oxford nobody is going to be bothered. Do that in Hackney and someone is going to smell the £££ at some point surely.

You sell the north oxford type areas to marina operators to sort it out and sell the Hackney type areas to people who like making money out of other people's need to have shelter smile.png

That reminds me of a joke. Michael O'Leary, boss of Ryanair goes into a pub and asks for a pint.

"Certainly Sir", says the bartender, "that be 30p". Michael gets his wallet out, happy as you like.

"Would you be wanting a head on your pint, Mr. O'Leary", ask the barkeep.

"Yeah, sure", says Michael.

"That'll be five pounds then".

"Er, okay" says the Ryanair head.

"Grand", says the man behind the bar, "and would you like glass with your pint, sir?"

"Of course" says Michael O'Leary.

"That'll be a round tenner then, Mr. O'Leary", "enjoy your evening."

Canals may be going the same way. They'll probably charge boaters for the volume of water they're displacing. Weekly.

If that means you, in what way are you unhappy with the new feel of the waterways other than what you have heard on here and/or third hand? Surely your only "enforcement" was on the bridgewater?

"They'll probably charge boaters for the volume of water they're displacing. Weekly."

I'm moored on a short pound where I am regularly sitting on the bottom, will they pay me?

Speak for yourself!

Personally I am happy that CRT are finally cracking down.

I don't see a "new feel" to the waterways in the slightest.

If that means you, in what way are you unhappy with the new feel of the waterways other than what you have heard on here and/or third hand? Surely your only "enforcement" was on the bridgewater?

When I first bought a boat...4yrs ago...and CC-ed a lot of the northern canals........I sped along from one elsan to another.....for 8 months....never saw an enforcement officer...hardly saw a CMer...and life was grand......then moved into a marina in central Manchester...and BW became CRT,,,,heard rumours about the K&A enforcement....lived through the creation of "roaming permits"....the creation of "winter moorings"...and noticed that data loggers were routinely walking around the marina tagging boats....so the feeling of "enforcement pressure" grew....and then the new T&Cs were released....and due to my boat size and location...I thought...that doesn't leave me with many options.....so I tried the Bridgewater...for 12 days....and realised...bad idea...enforcement officer apparently not all above board....recently fired......but anyway...after some re-assurance from those of this parish...decided I'd give the Rochdale a go...expecting low water levels...lots of litter....etc....but I'm sitting on the Summit at the moment...absolute bliss....and you'd think of course...that on the Summit...there's hardly any boats....certainly not a situation such as London...but...my boat has been tagged twice so far while being up here....in the area...and I have no idea what that will mean come licencing time...because I'm on my way to Tod, where I'll turn around and retrace my steps...so he'll tag me in the same area again....but I've decided not to worry...it's too beautiful....but the point was that it is very different now...than 4 yrs back.....a lot more men in black asking for my boat index number....

Obviously we don't live aboard, but we do spend quite a bit of time on the boat. Having just returned from 2 week trip I haven't been aware of being logged at all, other than by the Trent lock-keepers as we went through. In fact I can only recall noticing a logger on the towpath once since we got the boat 4.5 years ago, and that was as we chugged out of a Cheshire lock. I asked if he was logging moving boats as well as static ones, the answer being yes.

So perhaps it depends on how hard one looks for these loggers? And that may in turn be linked to having a guilty conscience. Not that you have any reason to have a guilty conscience of course, but you do seem to - a bit!

Edited by nicknorman

When I first bought a boat...4yrs ago...and CC-ed a lot of the northern canals........I sped along from one elsan to another.....for 8 months....never saw an enforcement officer...hardly saw a CMer...and life was grand......then moved into a marina in central Manchester...and BW became CRT,,,,heard rumours about the K&A enforcement....lived through the creation of "roaming permits"....the creation of "winter moorings"...and noticed that data loggers were routinely walking around the marina tagging boats....so the feeling of "enforcement pressure" grew....and then the new T&Cs were released....and due to my boat size and location...I thought...that doesn't leave me with many options.....so I tried the Bridgewater...for 12 days....and realised...bad idea...enforcement officer apparently not all above board....recently fired......but anyway...after some re-assurance from those of this parish...decided I'd give the Rochdale a go...expecting low water levels...lots of litter....etc....but I'm sitting on the Summit at the moment...absolute bliss....and you'd think of course...that on the Summit...there's hardly any boats....certainly not a situation such as London...but...my boat has been tagged twice so far while being up here....in the area...and I have no idea what that will mean come licencing time...because I'm on my way to Tod, where I'll turn around and retrace my steps...so he'll tag me in the same area again....but I've decided not to worry...it's too beautiful....but the point was that it is very different now...than 4 yrs back.....a lot more men in black asking for my boat index number....

I can't see it meaning anything come licencing time. You already have a mooring,don't you?

Keith