ID Engine Please

mark99

Featured Posts

Would that be a Lister FR6M?

Fair to say you don't see too many of those in a NB? lol

I assume the blue cylinder is a fuel tank of some sort. (I recognise the Panda Genny connections and panel/exhaust/raw water box).

Edited by mark99

Would that be a Lister FR6M?

Fair to say you don't see too many of those in a NB? lol

I assume the blue cylinder is a fuel tank of some sort. (I recognise the Panda Genny connections and panel/exhaust/raw water box).

The only FR6 I have seen in a narrow boat is in a very desirable tug built by Roger Fuller, Stone named HECTOR in 1988.

The only FR6 I have seen in a narrow boat is in a very desirable tug built by Roger Fuller, Stone named HECTOR in 1988.

Right, I looked at that carefully when it was for sale about 10 years ago, huge engine, separate lube oil tank, I decided altogether too big for canal use. - I really wanted a Gardner engine..........impressive boat though.

I steered his FR6 push-tug once. Even with a 50ft pan connected in front, at tickover speed it was doing over 4mph.

I steered his FR6 push-tug once. Even with a 50ft pan connected in front, at tickover speed it was doing over 4mph.

If you are talking about "The Gaffer", I'm pretty certain that had an HA6.

An FR6 is about 44HP, I think, but the HA6 will be 66HP.

Either is totally bonkers for use on canals in my view.

Ludicrous engine to have in a narrowboat.

I want one.

You would probably get fed up with it sooner than you think!

If you are talking about "The Gaffer", I'm pretty certain that had an HA6.

An FR6 is about 44HP, I think, but the HA6 will be 66HP.

Either is totally bonkers for use on canals in my view.

You would probably get fed up with it sooner than you think!

Yes you're quite right, a nice bottle of Sancerre made me confuse Gaffer's HA6 with Pathfinder's FR3 (and even that was bonkers enough)

Yes you're quite right, a nice bottle of Sancerre made me confuse Gaffer's HA6 with Pathfinder's FR3 (and even that was bonkers enough)

In fact, I now realise I'm wrong too.

It was "The Gaffer" it was pushing - the actual tug was "Growler".

Just actually looked at the rest of the advert for "Mother Ida".

1982 build

£65K

....... Yeah right! laugh.png

1936 build £110K yeah right squared. smile.png where unless you walk down a centre strip 18" wide you have to stoop.

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/feature.phtml?id=417211

Edited by mark99

Crazy price!

I wonder what it's like to hand crank an FR6 on a cold morning. I never could manage Pathfinder's FR3 in winter except by decompressing one until it was running on the other two!

What's this Pathfinder? we got Pathfinder Number 2. I recall seeing a Pathfinder in a GU Northants Marina as we slunk past recently.

Edited by mark99

Sorry, Pathfinder was built up at Langley Mill in the 80s from an old BCN Bantock dayboat hull (AFAIK) with the back end from an unknown motor and a new cabin top, plus an FR3. My mate owned it and we had lots of fun including loading 17 tons of coal at Sutton Stop and selling it down the South Oxford until we had only enough left to keep the stove burning. That was the run where I really learned how to steer!

The highlight was launch day. We all got on board, started the engine, untied, and shot off backwards down the canal. The engine/gearbox rotated the wrong way for the prop!

I last heard of Pathfinder on the K&A a few years ago.

I don't know about anyone else but i like my engine to have to think about what its doing, result is a nice clean exhaust and a purposeful sounding engine.

I'll stick with my HA2.

I almost bought a lister fr6m for my boat (62ft by 14ft,) but on reflection I decided it was too big.

Regards kris

it would fit in a widebeam, you would even have a little bit of space left over for a fuel tank, it would be an interesting arrangement getting it's output to a prop below the waterline (although without knowing the weight there might be a slight problem keeping any part of the boat above the waterline)

ETA

I'm being an idiot today...

on my first read of your post I though you meant the engine was 62x14

now I realise (or hope) that you meant your boat was that size

hope my idiocy for the day gives a few others a chuckle

Edited by Jess--