Boat Names

Ginaa_x

Featured Posts

Let's hope it stays there! The Dogs picture is a wonderful example of vile vinyl, soulless stick on lettering and the shading is bloody horrible. I expect someone loves it though....I'd find it hard!!

Exit, muttering grumpily....especially after being described as a " veteran signwriter " in the last issue of Waterways World....

Dave

Quick, quick, quick, I've just searched the boat register and noticed that nobody has yet named a boat "Norfolk Enchants". smile.png

But a search for 'Norfolk' brings up variants on the theme which include the words 'chance','good' and 'Wey', as well as the somewhat surprisng 'Bare Naked Norfolk Lady'.

I saw a boat named Tom Bombadil when we travelled to Reading, being a massive fan of the Lord of the Rings books I thought that was a wonderful name.

That's how you can tell a real Lord of the Rings fan from someone who just watched the film!

Pretty sure I saw 2 different boats called Tom Bombadil on my recent journey up to Yorkshire from the bottom of the GU, boat index lists 4 boats with that exact name as well as 2 similar so it's a popular name.

..................................I do need to come up with a name for my new car..

Back in the 1980's there were three of us in the office where I worked with Austin Allegros, I had a red one, the other guys had yellow and blue. We used to park them side by side and called them Buttercup, Bluebell, and Poppy.

It's not just a girl thing.

I agree with the funny-for-five-minutes view on punny names and if I see a boat with a name such as "Meander" "Narrow Escape" etc I endeavour to give the owners a wide berth but I did see a cruiser once with the moniker "Slipper 1" which I have to admit still makes me smile.

my son once owned (for 3 weeks) a plastic boat called "Fying Enterprise" ,Older members of this forum might remember it, others might google it.almost as bad as calling it Titanic. nora

I saw a boat named Tom Bombadil when we travelled to Reading, being a massive fan of the Lord of the Rings books I thought that was a wonderful name.

I do need to come up with a name for my new car..

When I had my first canal boat holiday in 1973 I was reading The Lord Of The Rings for the first time, and decided if I ever got to own a boat it would be called Lothlorien.

Last year I finally got to buy my own boat, but found that there were already 4 Lothloriens.

Never mind, I'll rename her after my favourite song, Little Wing. Looked that up on Canàlplan to find there were 8 Little Wings, so we left the boat with its original name of Delta Queen. There are 2 of them but only one on the canals. The other is a historic paddle steamer in the States.

My folks came to an agreement near 50yrs ago. Dad got to make/buy the boat. Mum got to name it. All came from LOTR. A dawncraft 25 called lisaboo got renamed aragorn. Had a frodo, gandalf etc. Currently another boat on the cut with our name. As long as crt etc know, name her whatever you like so long as you would be happy shouting it across a bar/marina pontoon/vhf

• 2 weeks later...

From a boating background there is nothing wrong with changing a ships name whilst in the water ( or out for that matter!). Have been on two ships over the years where the name ( and flag) was changed whilst I was still signed on as a member of the crew. The only unlucky thing is if you don't mark the change correctly in all the paperwork and ships certificates otherwise you will have no end of problems with Customs officers, port state inspectors etc etc. luckily on a canal boat there is a lot less paperwork to deal with !

Ref names of cars etc, my camper van had the number plate "LS 56 D.." And even though it now has a private plate has always been known as " LUCY".

There's nothing wrong with changing a boat's name, I would do the same if I bought a boat which had a naff name. My own boat is called Desiree, and while it is probably not the name I would give a boat which I had commissioned myself, she is named after the wife of the original owner, the very well known boat fitter-outer Malcolm Rhodes who did the beautiful fit-out himself and owned the boat for its first twenty years of life. Because of this I feel that the name is part of the history of the boat and wouldn't change it.

Was his wife named after a potato?

• 3 weeks later...

Still wondering what we will call ours

these are a few

Brassed Off

The Bismark

Chuckle Box

The Cookoo's Nest - quite suitable in my case

so many choices arrrghhh !

I rather like the last word of your post as a boat name. It conveys the mélange of euphoria and blind panic when one takes the tiller of a new boat for the first time. 'Cookoos' sound like those demented celebs (most of whom I have never heard of) hurtling around the Masterchef studio braying at John and Greg!

OT: you may have set a new record for the number if different avatars used in a week on here. I'm sure that so far there's been a King Charles spaniel, a portrait of a young lady, and a grey cartoon face. Whatever next?

Edited by Athy

I rather like the last word of your post as a boat name. It conveys the mélange of euphoria and blind panic when one takes the tiller of a new boat for the first time. Cookoos sound like those demented celebs (most of whom I have never heard of) hurtling around the Masterchef studio braying at John and Greg!

OT: you may have set a new record for the number if different avatars used in a week on here. I'm sure that so far there's been a King Charles spaniel, a portrait of a young lady, and a grey cartoon face. Whatever next?

The Cookoo's Nest i like, i doubt my dad would approve he wants something more relaxed and contemporaryly Boring !

I will keep this Avatar now Athy sorry if i confused you lol, the young lady was me 5 years ago, how quick life takes it toll closedeyes.gif

'What Ever Next' hmm yer catchy lol

Edited by brassedoff

All day?

I think I have seen a boat called 'Whatever Next', not a bad name.

Well lets take one day at a time and not jump into avatar control too quickly

ps i like the name Cirosis of the River that was a corker.

Edited by brassedoff

Seen a lot of "Festina Lente"s this trip.

Seen one or two on the Oxford also. My O level Latin does not quite stretch to a translation, but I like to think that it's the Northern expression "Make Haste Slowly".

There's a number of theories as to why/how this superstition originated. No-one knows for certain but sailors are notoriously a superstitious bunch and will blame anything to hand for bad fortune. Doubtless many centuries ago a boat came to grief and many drowned immediately following a name change and henceforth it was regarded as bad luck.

I am sure you may be correct, but in the early 19th century is was not uncommn for boats chartered by groups of people emigrating to America to have the name of the boat changed to reflect their perticular associations. In 1821 a Brig chartered by the Bristol and Somerset Quakers taking them to Baltimore, was re-named "The Friend" for the voyage. They all arrived safel;y.