The Rochdale Versus The Bridgewater

DeanS

Featured Posts

Well...what can I say :)

I was wrong. I believed the stories about widebeams not being able to get up the Rochdale...no water...kids throwing stones...

but.

I love this canal ! It may be a lot rougher going than the Bridgewater, with it's no locks, pristine landscaped canalside properties, deep water etc etc.......but the Rochdale is wonderful. It tests all your skills as a boater.....navigating around huge rocks, between metal poles, shopping trolleys, for the first 10 locks, but then...past Failsworth, starts to take on an "off the beaten track" feeling...large trees hanging over the offside...deep locks....cobbled towpaths and bridges....and eventually you make it to the Rose of Lancaster...which works so well as an eating venue till 9pm and then open throughout the night as a drinking pub, with a quiz night tonight...and a bowl of icecream for £1.....we had a fantastic night out.....peaceful...no factories in sight...horses on the offside.....and boaters who have "made it" over the summit, and are on their way down...a special breed..not those who've just popped out the marina for a weekend cruise...but a bunch who have just tackled 100 locks in 5 days.......I take my hat off to them....

in short....I'm not missing the Bridgewater, and what with a trainline which seems to follow the Rochdale all the way to the summit and over the other side....it is VERY tempting to pop over to the other side...for a while....;-)

We are on the Rochdale at the moment wife did all 18 locks on the Ashton every one had to be set and all anti vandal , we then set of onto the Rochdale a further 7 locks and called it a day , I will never go on the Ashton again full of crap and we never seen another boat all day in one lock if we had been full length 70 ft we would not been abel to go in as the ground and gate paddle would not close it was belting water in would of sunk a 70 ft boat, very hard day for my good lady she did all the leak locks yesterday again had to set every lock, will keep our eyes open for you dean

't got to

Well...what can I say smile.png

I was wrong. I believed the stories about widebeams not being able to get up the Rochdale...no water...kids throwing stones...

but.

I love this canal ! It may be a lot rougher going than the Bridgewater, with it's no locks, pristine landscaped canalside properties, deep water etc etc.......but the Rochdale is wonderful. It tests all your skills as a boater.....navigating around huge rocks, between metal poles, shopping trolleys, for the first 10 locks, but then...past Failsworth, starts to take on an "off the beaten track" feeling...large trees hanging over the offside...deep locks....cobbled towpaths and bridges....and eventually you make it to the Rose of Lancaster...which works so well as an eating venue till 9pm and then open throughout the night as a drinking pub, with a quiz night tonight...and a bowl of icecream for £1.....we had a fantastic night out.....peaceful...no factories in sight...horses on the offside.....and boaters who have "made it" over the summit, and are on their way down...a special breed..not those who've just popped out the marina for a weekend cruise...but a bunch who have just tackled 100 locks in 5 days.......I take my hat off to them....

in short....I'm not missing the Bridgewater, and what with a trainline which seems to follow the Rochdale all the way to the summit and over the other side....it is VERY tempting to pop over to the other side...for a while....;-)

And you haven't got to the great bits yet. I think you have done it before but must have forgotten. You can go as far as Dewsbury and still be able to commute. See you on the way over.

And you haven't got to the great bits yet. I think you have done it before but must have forgotten. You can go as far as Dewsbury and still be able to commute. See you on the way over.

You're still on the canals ???? That's great news!

Yep came over 4yrs ago in a narrowboat...but it was a 5 day rush trip...this time I'm taking it sloowwww and appreciating being out of da city...;-)

Hey nice yo hear from you. I agree some great parts on the Rochdale I think the summit view is one of the best on the system

Yay I love The Rochdale ,last time up at the Summit

I saw... 1 chap walking his dog and 1 boat go past in

2 days; all that splendid scenery !

go on ...go to Tod smile.png

I have fond memories of pairing up with an old time boater doing the Tod to Manchester trip..and we shared locks on the way down.....he went out drinking in Tod, and at 2am , himself and a helpful woman who was trying to pull his boat in or something, both ended up in the cut....:) He had a dog who would jump off his boat at the top of every lock, and then jump back on when the boat exited.......he was an inspiration....had been boating for 20yrs....I thought he was the coolest dude everrrrrrr....

He's not got to the gritty bit yet. It's OK where he is at the moment up to the M62 and then things go down hill until you get through Rochdale town.

You have to ignore the rough bits, and just get through them...;-)

I've got 3 hrs travel left to get to Littleborough...which I'll do in the morning....

Quite. Yes, getting out of Manchester is a bit of a chore, and the stretch through Rochdale itself is not too pleasant, but you're talking about a few hours cruising through "rough bits" here and there vs. (potentially) many weeks enjoying some beautiful stretches and convenient mooring spots. I've dipped into some of your threads and so am roughly aware of the sort of issues you have with wanting to get out of your marina and moor in commuter-friendly spots nearby - hopefully you'll now soon discover a few favourite spots on the Rochdale that fit the bill. And be sure to head up to and over the summit some time - as I recall, that whole stretch from Littleborough to Sowerby Bridge is lovely.

I've got 3 hrs travel left to get to Littleborough...which I'll do in the morning....

Our paths will cross then. Presently sitting out the weather in Littleborough.

You must be on the move again then because there are upwards of 20 locks from the Rose of Lancaster to Littleborough.

I've just noticed that on Google Earth the bit where you were moored is completely dewatered. It must have been photographed at the time when the Irk aquaduct failed.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.5525431,-2.1673271,482m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en-GB

Rochdale isn't as bad as newton heath. Just after the motorway after Castleton through the 2 locks near Oldham Rd, there's often a "Bible study" group gathered near there, then you are onto the long pound to Littleborough. Nowt to worry about really. My boat is currently sat near the dry dock in hebden bridge, surveyed, blacked, wooden top stripped off, awaiting a steel top, will be ready in a couple of weeks to come back up the hill. Will call on you when you are in Littleborough.

2 locks near Oldham Rd, there's often a "Bible study" group gathered near there,

They really are quite friendly. One offered to get me anything as he was popping along to the corner shop for 'supplies'. Another insisted on helping me through the lock, and was astounded when I left him a bottle of proper beer as opposed to the cans they were quaffing.

The state of the canal below these locks is however simply awful.

We are on the Rochdale at the moment wife did all 18 locks on the Ashton every one had to be set and all anti vandal , we then set of onto the Rochdale a further 7 locks and called it a day , I will never go on the Ashton again full of crap and we never seen another boat all day in one lock if we had been full length 70 ft we would not been abel to go in as the ground and gate paddle would not close it was belting water in would of sunk a 70 ft boat, very hard day for my good lady she did all the leak locks yesterday again had to set every lock, will keep our eyes open for you dean

Has your missus glued you to the boat or something?

I wouldn't put up with it, if I want to get off & work the locks, I damn well will.

We've gotten to Castleton thus far (mainly because each day I cruise to the next railway station and stop..go to work..come back by train..chill overnight...and in the morning move on.

Reaching Littleborough tomorrow will be the end of the line and give us time to relax....for a while.....and become accustomed to this new cruising area.........I've really enjoyed the trip thus far......and feel it beats the Bridgewater by far....simply because in my mind, nature and canals go hand in hand....so cruising and seeing animals alongside,....is great......and the Bridgewater doesn't offer that.....

I'll still chase getting a Bridgewater licence...but actually their increase in enforcement has been a blessing in disguise...I may never have taken my widebeam up the Rochdale other wise...and I'm thrilled I have

Well...what can I say :)

but.

Now you believe us!! A few of us have told you before that the Rochdale Canal is all easily commutable to Manchester (I did Hebden Bridge to Manchester for several years).

You've done the worst section - worst both in terms of the condition of the channel and the neighbourhoods it passes through. Rose of Lancaster to beyond Slattocks is OK, Rochdale is a bit grim, but from Smithy Bridge on its all fine.

Come and have a pint with those of us on the Yorkshire side!

I live next to the Bridgewater and work next to the Rochdale, well, within a mile. They are chalk and cheese and ever likely to remain so. There's plenty of friendly folk as well as wildlife up on the Rochdale, but it's a shame the locals don't make more of their canal.

There's plenty of wildlife on the Bridgewater too, but I'll admit there's not the same kind of scenery that you get from Littleborough onwards. I hope you've got your passports for when you pass through Walsden.

Spotted you yesterday by the Rose of Lancashire at lunchtime. There was a guy taking photograph's of your boat. At first I thought he was an enforcement officer but I now think he'd never seen a widebeam with a kennel on the roof before.

Just remember the bad parts of the journey make you appreciate the good even more. It must be 5 years or so since we did this stretch but I will always remember it with the best of memories.. it's not where you go in this world but the people you meet along the way that makes it special.

Hi Dean.

A somewhat brief meeting, but it was in a lock in Rochdale, a town that does not value its waterway it seems. Pity about the litter in the canal, it could be lovely, like the rest of the canal.

Made the Irk aqueduct today for the final descent.

You will love Littleborough. We moored in the pound above lock 48. Local boaters and indeed CRT seem to have a very relaxed attitude. Boats moor on lock landings and on the services, indeed one chap had a garden, paddling pool and bird feeders out on the water/Elsan point and seems set to stay for the duration. With so little passing traffic, it is not a problem, so different to canals elsewhere.

So enjoy your rural retreat. It is a stunning canal. :)