To The Leicester Ring

Pennie

Featured Posts

After my engine is serviced next week I'm off on my first proper cruise round the Leicester ring. Setting off anti-clockwise from Kegworth. Is there any thing I should know before heading off?

No - just relax and enjoy a really nice route.

One word of warning if the river has a bit of fresh in it take a look at Barrow bridge before leaving the lock moorings. It can be quite tricky work out how to get safely through before commiting yourself. Wave at Tyto as you pass through Sileby. Diesel is OK there.

If you want to overnight in leicester itself, moor at Castle gardens.

is that near castle park? going to treat Ben and I to sushi at Little Tokyo as its sooo good and the only decent sushi I've found in Derby/lecister/notthinghamshire but I HATE leicester normally so never go just to go for sushi.

After my engine is serviced next week I'm off on my first proper cruise round the Leicester ring. Setting off anti-clockwise from Kegworth. Is there any thing I should know before heading off?

I hope you have listed all the things you want fixed

We did the ring last year and loved it we went anti clockwise too but from Coventry one place we stopped over night was market Harborough it was very nice it cost's to stop in the basin so we pulled just out side it ninja.gif

Graham

That's quite a hike!

castle gardens moorings are secured moorings on the edge of Castle gardens, just near the holiday inn. I'm guessing you are thinking of the same place. C&rt key let's you in and out.

Castle moorings are secure but every time I have been there has been crap and overflowing bins there , I prefer mooring on opposite side at next bridge , shops on your doorstep and a nice park , a few students knocking about but no hassles , its a nice pleasant ring.

• 2 months later...

We are on the outskirts of Leicester at Blaby or thereabouts.

Our Nics guide is a few years old and doesn't show any water points. This may of course be the way it is, but,does anyone know the whereabouts off water points in the immediate Leicester vicinity?

If we run out I'll have to start drinking beer!!

There is another, or was, in leicester on the non towpath side. BW made us aware of it a while back. I forget the lock name but it's the one leicester side of Belgrave lock. Lime kiln lock? The one above the one near the space station. There is a cut on the right just above the lock, and a piece of land by that with a water point.....little known and I can't be certain it's still there now. It's hidden in a post.

And.....If you're coming through barrow upon soar soon, look out for us! N/b Hallyth, tug style on barrow cut just now!

There is another, or was, in leicester on the non towpath side. BW made us aware of it a while back. I forget the lock name but it's the one leicester side of Belgrave lock. Lime kiln lock? The one above the one near the space station. There is a cut on the right just above the lock, and a piece of land by that with a water point.....little known and I can't be certain it's still there now. It's hidden in a post.

And.....If you're coming through barrow upon soar soon, look out for us! N/b Hallyth, tug style on barrow cut just now!

you are not far from me ally, I am on proctors park, just off the main river.

• 2 weeks later...