New Host - Post Any Issues Here.

Featured Posts

Yes. If you tell us what sort of computer and what sort of browser you are using, it will be easier to help you! But basically you have to clear the cache of web page data.

OMG now it gets technical lol, i can tell you the eay bit i have a DELL lap top and google...i think

Google is not a browser! Perhaps you are using Internet Explorer? Anyway, when you get the error message try this:

hold down the Ctrl key and press F5 key. This should reload the page from the server, rather than using the cached version. If that doesn't work come back and I'll tell you how to clear the cache.

The ones in particular are dynamically created (by the error handler) but this isn't a reason it iself not to send a no-cache header. AFAIK IP.Board doesn't dynamically cache error message pages (or any others) but it does cache certain fast-changing data in a couple of tables to speed up access. I know MySQL caches info but the way it does it is fairly robust, not sure what the previous host might have changed on the Apache server regarding caching options.

I am fairly confident that the above problems of getting old data are due to the user's browser or ISP caching protocol. The browser should check the date/time of the source and update the content if it is different to the cached version.

As most web pages (particularly forum pages) are now dynamically created by server-side code the date/time is always the current time and different from the cached version. So, the browser will always reload a page unless the ISP returns a valid date/time stamp from its cache.

It would be interesting to know what ISPs those with problems are using. As I mentioned above, I have no problem via Vodafone - not the brightest of ISPs. OTOH, AOL is infamous for their 'shortcuts' to a cheap service.

Alan

I am fairly confident that the above problems of getting old data are due to the user's browser or ISP caching protocol. The browser should check the date/time of the source and update the content if it is different to the cached version.

As most web pages (particularly forum pages) are now dynamically created by server-side code the date/time is always the current time and different from the cached version. So, the browser will always reload a page unless the ISP returns a valid date/time stamp from its cache.

It would be interesting to know what ISPs those with problems are using. As I mentioned above, I have no problem via Vodafone - not the brightest of ISPs. OTOH, AOL is infamous for their 'shortcuts' to a cheap service.

Alan

I've certainly had no problems so it is not a universal issue. On the subject of ISP caching, surely if the host has changed (ie a different IP address) then the system is not going to deliver a webpage cached from a different IP address? But then what do I know! Quite why browsers don't realise the page has changed, with a new date tag, escapes me.

Alan

Me too, but having never actually looked at the source code of the error message (just pressed refresh!) I don't know if its no-caching etc. I guess if someone is still getting them, they could email me the source code and I could look? Its quicker than reverse-engineering the source code of IP.Board.

Just noticed the members on individual threads is no longer displayed.

Yeah there's a bunch of things like this missing, which were took off to eek out the last bit of performance on the old server/host.

Members viewing said thread/topic now turned back on.

Daniel

Shouldn't there be a no-cache header on the error page ...

You would have thought so, and clearly the pages of the site are not cached, but while I will not pretend to have fully understood or bottomed out the situation there does very much appear to be some undesirable caching going on.

Daniel

I've had a mare of a time logging in. I haven't read the rest of this thread but I assume I'm not the only one. My password kept being rejected. Sorted now. All I've got to do is change my password from the one I received via email back to one that I can remember.

Fudd

Sorry not to respond sooner to your helpful emails but if I can't get on the forum I can't read what you say and can't answer. So I am on via another computer and will try what you suggest just as soon as I find out what clear- the- cashe means and how it is achieved.

I've had to close my internet connection and open it again to write this.

I am finding it impossible to sign out. If I can't sign out, I get 'no new contents' in New Contents section. I cannot follow other threads. I cannot see my posts posted. It sometimes allows me to sign out once only. But, if I enter a thread to post something, that's likely to result in the above. From that point it's to frustrating to keep turning off my internet connection each time I wish to see new contents showing up.

I am finding it impossible to sign out. If I can't sign out, I get 'no new contents' in New Contents section. I cannot follow other threads. I cannot see my posts posted. It sometimes allows me to sign out once only. But, if I enter a thread to post something, that's likely to result in the above. From that point it's to frustrating to keep turning off my internet connection each time I wish to see new contents showing up.

For a start, try only closing and reopening your browser without switching off your internet connection.

Have you cleared your cache?

For a start, try only closing and reopening your browser without switching off your internet connection.

Whilst I'm signed in, I've found that I can navigate to the forums and to the technical forum. Unfortunately I'm linked through a marina supplied network and have to open a portal before I can access the internet. I've tried doing what you suggest and it results in the same problem; I remain signed in and unable to get anything showing in the New Contents. Well I get - Sorry, no new contents found. This problem happened after the last but one renew of site software, but the lack of ability to sign out is an issue with this current period of renewal of forum update.

Edited by Higgs

Have you cleared your cache?

I'll have to look into this. Please don't be surprised if my reply isn't quickly forthcoming. If I can't find a fix, I know where to find you. In the mean time, it's one of those days when I haven't a great deal of time to spend on it. Thanks.