New Host - Post Any Issues Here.

Featured Posts

I'm rubbish at writing out instructions but try this:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

I'll have to look into this. Please don't be surprised if my reply isn't quickly forthcoming. If I can't find a fix, I know where to find you. In the mean time, it's one of those days when I haven't a great deal of time to spend on it. Thanks.

Hi is there a problem? Ive had awful time trying to get into CWF and threads then most peculiar format came up when I clicked view new content..Are we poorly again?

Sounds like a poor, or more accurately, a slow internet connection to me...

Sounds like a poor, or more accurately, a slow internet connection to me...

Yes, I've had that happen when on a slow conn. Had to clear the cache to get rid of the weird formatting, which presumably started because part of a template corrupted as it came down.

As an aside, I tutor people for the ECDL (European Computer Driving Lience). You would not believe the lack of knowledge amongst some of the participants. That includes people who may know one or more of the major applications. Word or Excel for instance.These people have never been shown how to do backups, housekeeping (defrag for instance), clearing junk files or old log files. I teach the advanced functionality, into the areas of sql, c++ routines. But even these people have never been through the foundation course. I find I have to spend time doing elements of a custom designed basic crammer to get these students in a position to be basically literate, before I cover what I would call middle elements. eg mailmerges, Excel Powerpoint data interchange, as for proper database design?. that really does cause some headaches.

I'm not surprised about browsers, they are only covered fleetingly (one 2 hr session), I usually offer a 2 hour course in addition to really get down into the mechanicals of them. But then I started off using Moziac, Netscape, and the early browsers, where you had to fiddle sometimes to actually get a connection to the web.

Even I still have some problems with Safari. its usually a problem about remembering were they have hidden such-and-such a switch or option.

still it makes a change to driving trucks !!!!

I actually hold an ECDL, as well as a GCSE in IT.

- Already has a fair working knowledge, but did pick up things like using if statement and filters in Excel as part of my GCSE, if not pivot tables. I basc understand of what a database could do for you.

Appeared to miss out using styles and getting a TOC to work well in Word (word 200p at this point) which i learnt from Dad and out to good use in my University time, later versions make styles much easier, and the TOC much more roubust but I still found it staggering that a number if my peer final year engineer students where entering their table of content, and references, by hand!

That said, defraging and doing a clear of logs does appear to have been consigned to the archives as something no longer needed, thank God.

For web design, see WIX online wysiwyg editor...

Daniel

I know what you mean,

defrag under NTFS is far better, and quicker, and is useful, especially if you ever get your drive above 60% full. Tip, decant anything you can to other media before operating defrag, and clear junk files. The more working space the better. It can take several passes to shift files before attempting to put them back into contigious space.

I run it as a weekly batch file, It also discovers flakey disk blocks quickly. I tend to use a third party defrag.

I know what you mean,

defrag under NTFS is far better, and quicker, and is useful, especially if you ever get your drive above 60% full. Tip, decant anything you can to other media before operating defrag, and clear junk files. The more working space the better. It can take several passes to shift files before attempting to put them back into contigious space.

I run it as a weekly batch file, It also discovers flakey disk blocks quickly. I tend to use a third party defrag.

Oh I hate to admit this but I still have a CP/M based system (runs Wordstar brill primitive WP program), runs a very early version of Mosaic, works fine with Canalforum front end provided I turn picture content off.

I know what you mean,

I used to, o&o defrag, but have stopped now and no real I'll effects.

site seems to be lagging today, anyone else notice?

Yes, but I thought it was down to a very poor mobile internet connection.

Often today clicking on links results in a long delay before I can see the thread or post.

My experience may not be relevant though given the crapness of Orange France in a very rural area.

This morning, when I look at the "New Content" page its format seems to have changed, and where there are normally blobs or stars to indicate new posts there are just little crosses.

Edit: have just visited again and it has returned to normal.

Edited by Athy