New Host - Post Any Issues Here.

Featured Posts

If I had the faintest idea how, I would try to do so. I followed previous instructions as best I could and thought that I had cleared what I needed to clear - but caches were never mentioned in the various instructions which appeared on my screen.

I have no idea what they are, except that they are presumably hidden.

In IE11, when you click Internet Options... on the resulting form there is a section about browsing history and a "delete..." button. When you click that it opens a new form which has a load of items, some of which are ticked and some not. You need to tick the box that says "cookies and website data" and then click delete at the bottom.

If that doesn't work you could always flush the DNS cache, click start...run and in the resulting box type cmd click OK then type ipconfig /flushdns in the resulting window. Be careful to put the space in the right place and the correct direction of / (ie not \). It should then report that the DNS resolver cache has been successfully flushed.

Edited by nicknorman

Thanks for the suggestions. I have installed CCleaner (which used to go by the name of Crap Cleaner, I think - had it once before), but still get the fatal error message. I followed NN's suggestion and deleted my cookies. I still get the fatal error message. I'll not be trying his second suggestion, as I'm afraid that level of jargon goes way over my head.

Oh well...

IOS8.3 is current. Have you done a cold start, power completely down then up again phone and iPad.? This clears a common memory area, which seems to help.

I won't ask why you have a second phone, pimping hadn't even crossed my mind til you mentioned it. But I am surprised it's not updated itself to version 8 are you running some customised software? If not I suggest you do update it. You can force this under the settings app. Again make sure you cold start. The device first.

I daren't update the one phone which is working because there is speculation ios8 brought in WiFi problems on some iPhones.

Maybe I should take up some vice activities to help fund this forum...won't it be a bit obvious running the operation from a boat though?

I'll not be trying his second suggestion, as I'm afraid that level of jargon goes way over my head.

Oh well...

It's always looks much harder when its written down, than it is to actually do it! You can't really go too far wrong, if you mistype the command it will just be rejected without causing any "damage"

I daren't update the one phone which is working because there is speculation ios8 brought in WiFi problems on some iPhones.

Maybe I should take up some vice activities to help fund this forum...won't it be a bit obvious running the operation from a boat though?

iOS updates do sometimes cause various issues. However they are normally easily(but admittedly not quickly) resolved by doing a full reset and then completely re install the last iOS update.

You need of course to back your iPhone up to either a PC or 'the cloud' before you do this.

Normally Apple quickly patch any updates that are known to cause any probs so as a general rule its best to stick with the latest one but hang back a couple of days after you get notification an update to your IOS is available.

It's always looks much harder when its written down, than it is to actually do it! You can't really go too far wrong, if you mistype the command it will just be rejected without causing any "damage"

Well, I have been running the C Cleaner and amongst the list of things which it kindly offered to delete for me were "DNS caches" and "Font caches". The latter I thought I might need so, though I have no idea what DNS is, I selected that one. Lo! and behold, I have just pressed the View New Content Button and yes, I'm viewing new content, not a fatal error message.

There's no guarantee that it will have the same effect next time, of course.

Well, I have been running the C Cleaner and amongst the list of things which it kindly offered to delete for me were "DNS caches" and "Font caches". The latter I thought I might need so, though I have no idea what DNS is, I selected that one. Lo! and behold, I have just pressed the View New Content Button and yes, I'm viewing new content, not a fatal error message.

There's no guarantee that it will have the same effect next time, of course.

Deleting the DNS cache is exactly what ipconfig /flushdns does.

DNS = Domain Name Server which is a remote lookup process where the name in the url eg canalworld.net is translated into an IP address using one of a few servers dotted around the world. Rather than look up the IP address over the Internet each time you click a new page on the same website, the computer keeps a local copy in the DNS cache. With the host move, the actual IP address is now different whilst the name of course remains the same, but in your case the computer probably didn't realise it had changed.

iOS updates do sometimes cause various issues. However they are normally easily(but admittedly not quickly) resolved by doing a full reset and then completely re install the last iOS update.

You need of course to back your iPhone up to either a PC or 'the cloud' before you do this.

Normally Apple quickly patch any updates that are known to cause any probs so as a general rule its best to stick with the latest one but hang back a couple of days after you get notification an update to your IOS is available.

Unfortunately not this fault. It's all over the Internet. Search on 'iPhone wifi freezer' ...or hair dryer....

WTF indeed...and it does actually work for a day or so...

New issue:

On clicking VNC I just got this!

"An error occured with the SQL server:

This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with your SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above."

Happened once only so I imagine it really was my PC playing up, as the message says...

Looking at the timing of your message with emails from the hosts, I believe this was/is a one-off due to some optimisation work done just tweaking a small number of background database settings, which need a MySQL server restart to take effect. It normally restarts in seconds, so is very unlikely to affect many members but obviously it affected (more than) one. Thanks for the info.

Deleting the DNS cache is exactly what ipconfig /flushdns does.

DNS = Domain Name Server which is a remote lookup process where the name in the url eg canalworld.net is translated into an IP address using one of a few servers dotted around the world. Rather than look up the IP address over the Internet each time you click a new page on the same website, the computer keeps a local copy in the DNS cache. With the host move, the actual IP address is now different whilst the name of course remains the same, but in your case the computer probably didn't realise it had changed.

Isn't the English language marvellous? Despite having a degree in English and having taught languages for a living fir many years, I've just read your reply three times and have only a vague idea what it means.

That does not mean that I'm not grateful for your proffered assistance - quite the contrary. More by luck than judgement I seem to have arrived at the desired result!

Of course, one side effect is that the various web sites of which I'm a member now think that I'm a guest, so I hav eto enter my user name and password, which I do confidently, and which they unerringly reject. Back to the drawing board...

Isn't the English language marvellous? Despite having a degree in English and having taught languages for a living fir many years, I've just read your reply three times and have only a vague idea what it means.

That does not mean that I'm not grateful for your proffered assistance - quite the contrary. More by luck than judgement I seem to have arrived at the desired result!

Of course, one side effect is that the various web sites of which I'm a member now think that I'm a guest, so I hav eto enter my user name and password, which I do confidently, and which they unerringly reject. Back to the drawing board...

Think of it like making a phone call. You know the name or the person you want to call, but not their number. So you look up the number in the phone book. Now you know you will be calling this chap often so you decide to put the number into your phone's contacts list, so now you just have to select the chap's name from the list and ring him. Much easier than looking it up in the phone book each time.

Well that is of course until the chap gets a new phone number, so now the number you have for him doesn't work and if you don't realise that, you have a problem until you look up his new number in the phone book and change the number stored against his name in your phone.

In all that the chap you want to phone is the CWDF database, the phone book is the DNS server and your phone is your computer's browser. The database moved to a new "number" but you were still trying to "ring" it using the old "number".

An adjunct to this exciting cache-cleansing exercise is that I now have to sign in to CWF each time I visit it - even though I have ticked the box saying "Remember me", it doesn't.

Edited by DHutch

An adjunct to this exciting cache-cleansing exercise is that I now have to sign in to CWF each time I visit it - even though I have ticked the box saying "Remember me", it doesn't.

Re-tick the remember me box on the sign in page.

I still can't sign out without re-booting. I don't like Boots, I once opened their door, shouted Sandals and ran off. I'll try Freeman Hardy and Willis' or the Army & Navy store instead.

Edited by DHutch

Signing in and out and in and out, and even shaking it all about, seems to work fine for me.

You have to allow cookies, perhaps you have either changed the security settings to disallow cookies, or you haven't acknowledged the message that you may get on a first visit (since a cache clear) that warns you of the intention to put cookies on your computer (one of those annoying and interfering EU rules that, IMO, has backfired somewhat).

Well, this is a bit of a disaster. The "remember me" function doesn't, so each time I visit the site I have to sign in all over again - which I used not to have to do. After briefly behaving itself, the "View new content" feature has started giving me fatal error massages again. So I guess I'll be taking a break from CWF - it's just too much of a nuisance to jump through these hoops every time. I might try it in a day or two to see if things have improved.

I don't think anyone has mentioned this:- When I mark community read, specifically Forums, they are not marked read; the New Content lists are not greyed out.

Edit. I've just noticed that if I "Mark All As Read" the lists are greyed out, so no problem so far as I'm concerned.

Edited by journeyperson

I'm rubbish at writing out instructions but try this:

http://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/

However, you might have got it right! Somewhere in there for IE it says to press cntrl+shift+F5 but as far as I can tell, that doesn't work, you can do either cntrl+F5 or shift+F5 but not all 3 keys.

Oh Hokey Cokey Cokey, Oh Hokey Cokey Cokey, Oh Hokey Cokey Cokey, knees bend, arm stretch, Ra! Ra! Ra!.

Your instructions are poo too! Please define which arm to stretch...and I'm sure there's too many Cokey's in there...(it was fun trying though...)

Edit to keep Inglish teachers off my back.

Edited by bassplayer

Well, this is a bit of a disaster. The "remember me" function doesn't, so each time I visit the site I have to sign in all over again - which I used not to have to do. After briefly behaving itself, the "View new content" feature has started giving me fatal error massages again. So I guess I'll be taking a break from CWF - it's just too much of a nuisance to jump through these hoops every time. I might try it in a day or two to see if things have improved.

I've had the same problem in the past occasionally. I use both the full version of the site (on laptop) and mobile version (on blackberry). When the signin gets confused (or I get the moobile version on the laptop or vice versa) I find that signing out on both devices and then signing in again sorts everything out.

The ISP change was totally transparent for me on Windows 7 with both Chrome and Firefox. Except for the excellent, better than ever response times on my Vodafone Mobile Broadband (slow 4G)! CWDF is now faster than other sites that I use, even with several large images.

I have not used Internet Explorer for years but I keep IE11 up-to-date. Accessing CWDF worked as expected; I had to sign in but it kept me logged in through an IE close/open and allowed me to sign out and remembered that through another IE close/open.

It may seem odd that an ex English teacher cannot understand the simplest of 'technical language', it is probably a mental block. Dyslexics often make good programmers - spelling and punctuation is more important than in natural languages but is better, unambiguously defined. It is difficult for the technically inclined to understand the problem of e.g. clicking 'Start', entering 'cmd' then keying a simple command or better copying and pasting it.

Alan

It may seem odd that an ex English teacher cannot understand the simplest of 'technical language', it is probably a mental block.

Yes I thought that too.

There seems to be some sort of social 'one-upmanship' game played in the UK where claiming not to 'understand computers' is regarded as a Good Thing amongst people edumacated in humanities rather than engineering.

BBC presenters are horrors at this. So often I hear on the radio "Oh I'm dreadful at maths", or "I have no idea what my computer does" followed by approving laughter and supporting comments from the co-presenters. Makes me cringe.

• Greenie 1

It may seem odd that an ex English teacher cannot understand the simplest of 'technical language', it is probably a mental block.

Alan

You are too kind. I did not consider NN's advice to be couched in "the simplest of technical language", I found it rather complicated in fact. There is no reverse one-upmanship involved, I have simply always been on the arts rather than the science side educationally. Computers are science, so it is natural that their technology is a mystery to me.

This morning I had to sign in again and the "View new content" button still leads to a fatal error message. I'll have a look at Paul's link and see if that helps (thanks, Paul), as long as my alleged mental block does not render it incomprehensible to me.

EDIT: I followed the (clear English) instructions in Paul's link. I then went back to CWF. I did not need to sign in, and the View New Content button enabled me to, er, view new content. So, fingers crossed, job done,

Edited by Athy