New Host - Post Any Issues Here.

Featured Posts

. So often I hear on the radio "I have no idea what my computer does" followed by approving laughter and supporting comments from the co-presenters. Makes me cringe.

Why? To me, as doubtless to many other people, a computer is a combined typewriter and reference library, with an occasional side order of shopping arcade. I don't mind how it performs these functions, as long as it does.

For some strange reason I still can't sign out of the forum without re-booting, Firefox on Vista. I can sign out if I use IE on the same machine though.

Though on my notebook computer, windows 8.1 I can sign out on Firefox. Any ideas please?

For some strange reason I still can't sign out of the forum without re-booting, Firefox on Vista. I can sign out if I use IE on the same machine though.

Though on my notebook computer, windows 8.1 I can sign out on Firefox. Any ideas please?

I would flush the DNS cache first, and then clear the web data cache. See above for how to flush the DNS cache. I'm not familiar with Firefox but there will be a means to clear the cache, web data, cookies etc (not browsing history, that will achieve nothing). The downside is that you will lose any cookies that auto-logged you in so you would have to re-enter login details for each site that auto-logged in for you the first time you visit that site.

Have a look here for firefo, but it may depend on your version : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

Edit just to point out that the DNS cache is general to the computer, the data cache will be specific to the browser (ie IE and Firefox will have different web data caches.

Edited by nicknorman

I would flush the DNS cache first, and then clear the web data cache. See above for how to flush the DNS cache. I'm not familiar with Firefox but there will be a means to clear the cache, web data, cookies etc (not browsing history, that will achieve nothing). The downside is that you will lose any cookies that auto-logged you in so you would have to re-enter login details for each site that auto-logged in for you the first time you visit that site.

Have a look here for firefo, but it may depend on your version : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-clear-firefox-cache

Thanks Nick. I've done all that, but will try re-entering my log in details. It does try to sign out, the whirly thing starts and the text gives a little jump and then sign out reappears again.

Thanks Nick. I've done all that, but will try re-entering my log in details. It does try to sign out, the whirly thing starts and the text gives a little jump and then sign out reappears again.

Presumably you've tried rebooting the computer?

Edit: I see you mentioned rebooting earlier. FWIW I always found Vista to be a disaster. Windows 7 is a million times better, if you have an opportunity to upgrade I would definitely go for it.

Edited by nicknorman

On my ASUS notepad which is usually rubbish at most things, CWDF works very well. If I try to log on with my newer LENOVO desktop, which it used to work on very well, I get "Out of Memory" followed by a line of text at the top of the screen. Both use IE and Windows 8.

Any ideas?

On my ASUS notepad which is usually rubbish at most things, CWDF works very well. If I try to log on with my newer LENOVO desktop, which it used to work on very well, I get "Out of Memory" followed by a line of text at the top of the screen. Both use IE and Windows 8.

Any ideas?

And have you cleared the browser cache?

Any ideas?

Let me have a stab at this one. When you use a browser to access a webpage, it has to download a load of stuff to your computer - the text, pictures, stuff to do with how the bits fit together on your screen and so on. Once upon a time, the internet was slow over your telephone modem, so browser folk came up with a neat trick. When you visited a page on a website, the browser checked to see if you had visited it before. If you had, it said 'Oho - I've got that stuff already' and bunged it back on your screen from your computer rather than downloading it all again

Web browsers still do this as it makes things quicker. They take the web page contents and put it into a cache, then retrieve it if you revisit a web page. Every thread on this forum is a new web page

What is going wrong for you is that you are visiting a page you visited in the past. The browser checks the cache, finds the old content and puts up what it already has. Unfortunately for you, it has the error message in the cache from when things went wrong on the old webhost, so it shows you that instead of the latest content

You need to clear out all those old downloaded pages on every computer. This is what all this waffle about clearing the cache in your browser is about

Next week - sucking eggs, a guide for senior citizens

Richard

Edited by RLWP

Any ideas?

As said clear the cache but in the short term, for each page that won't load properly try holding down the Ctrl key and pressing the F5 key. This forces a reload of the page. Once you have fixed that page in this way, it should be OK from then on.

Or, click the "Reload current page" button next to the address URL box at the top of most browsers...

That is like pressing F5. There is a difference between pressing F5, and Cntrl+F5 - the latter is a "hard" reload, although exactly what the difference is I'm not sure.

Edit: F5 on some browsers doesn't force a reload over the internet, just a reload perhaps from the cache. That is for IE, whereas it does seem to force a reload over the internet for Firefox and Chrome.

Edited by nicknorman

Yes I thought that too.

There seems to be some sort of social 'one-upmanship' game played in the UK where claiming not to 'understand computers' is regarded as a Good Thing amongst people edumacated in humanities rather than engineering.

BBC presenters are horrors at this. So often I hear on the radio "Oh I'm dreadful at maths", or "I have no idea what my computer does" followed by approving laughter and supporting comments from the co-presenters. Makes me cringe.

I don't believe it is anything to do with one upmanship at all. I worked with lots of people who just didn't grasp even the basics of how computers work. I genuinely believe some people are just not 'wired' in way that allows them to understand how they do. It's much the same as some people just don't grasp basic mechanical and engineering concepts, frustrating sometimes definitely. Plus here we have the additional problem of trying explain things via a text based one dimensional medium.

I always find trying to explain how to do or fix something to do with technology is usually much more quickly achieved if you are sat next to them walking them through it. The next best thing in my experience is by using pictures which is why when I am trying to explain to somebody how to do something on the forum I use them to support a text based description.

Edited by MJG

I don't believe it is anything to do with one upmanship at all. I worked with lots of people who just didn't grasp even the basics of how computers work. I genuinely believe some people are just not 'wired' in way that allows them to understand how they do. It's much the same as some people just don't grasp basic mechanical and engineering concepts, frustrating sometimes definitely. Plus here we have the additional problem of trying explain things via a text based one dimensional medium.

I always find trying to explain how to do or fix something to do with technology is usually much more quickly achieved if you are sat next to them walking them through it. The next best thing into experience is by using pictures which is why when I am trying to explain to somebody how to do something on the for I use them to support a text based description.

However I agree with MtB's sentiment that it can be a badge of honour to not understand technology. It was always a problem in my former job as a helicopter training captain. The old guys would be proud of their lack of knowledge of how "wiggly amps" as they called them, worked. This was certainly a problem when moving to higher tech aircraft such as the EC225 which had lots of computers and digital data buses. One can't blame them for struggling to understand it (although in reality, that skill is a prerequisite for that job these days!) but one can blame them for being proud of their ignorance.

However I agree with MtB's sentiment that it can be a badge of honour to not understand technology. It was always a problem in my former job as a helicopter training captain. The old guys would be proud of their lack of knowledge of how "wiggly amps" as they called them, worked. This was certainly a problem when moving to higher tech aircraft such as the EC225 which had lots of computers and digital data buses. One can't blame them for struggling to understand it (although in reality, that skill is a prerequisite for that job these days!) but one can blame them for being proud of their ignorance.

They were/are perhaps compensating for feeling concerned about being left behind in an ever increasingly technologically advancing workplace??

I used to see similar with some older staff as we increasingly computerised things like patient records and shift rotas.

However I agree with MtB's sentiment that it can be a badge of honour to not understand technology.

Yes, my point exactly. when you hear BBC presenters say it, they seem proud of the fact, and that it illustrates that their minds are tuned in to higher things.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

They were/are perhaps compensating for feeling concerned about being left behind in an ever increasingly technologically advancing workplace??

I used to see similar with some older staff as we increasingly computerised things like patient records and shift rotas.

I'm sure you are right, but less sure it's a valid excuse! The way to not feel left behind is to move with the times and out a little bit of effort in, rather than get stuck in some prehistoric rut! Hiding behind an ignorance badge of honour is not going to help one bit, especially when it is your job, and other people's lives, at stake. Being willing to listen and asking for help on the other hand, would seem to be the way to go.

Yes, my point exactly. when you hear BBC presenters say it, they seem proud of the fact, and that it illustrates that their minds are tuned in to higher things.

I am not sure it's much different than someone who drives but proclaims they wouldn't have a clue how to fix their car if it goes wrong. As long as you are able and willing to fork out the dosh to pay someone to fix it why worry about what some would just see as trivia?

Personally I find trying to find solutions to PC problems very interesting and invariably the solution to just about anything can be found with the help of Google but others perhaps just find it doesn't hold their interest enough to see it worth delving into too deep?

We are all different.

I'm sure you are right, but less sure it's a valid excuse! The way to not feel left behind is to move with the times and out a little bit of effort in, rather than get stuck in some prehistoric rut! Hiding behind an ignorance badge of honour is not going to help one bit, especially when it is your job, and other people's lives, at stake. Being willing to listen and asking for help on the other hand, would seem to be the way to go.

Actually I agree 100% where working environments are concerned particularly in the examples cited such as aircraft and patient safety. People do need to know how to safely operate related systems of that there is no doubt.

But in the case of somebodies own leisure time I think they can safely trumpet they are proud to be a technophobe as long as they are willing to rely on others being either willing to help or be paid to do so. In the case of unpaid help of course that might not always be forthcoming, which also has to be accepted.

Edited by MJG

That the error pages are cacheable is an issue in itself - I'm going to look into being able to tweak the error page displayed, so it isn't cached. If its the case that these Fatal Error pages are being cached inadvertently then historically it puts a different slant on when the forum has had minor issues in the past. The major issues (of the previous host, up until Tuesday) were a different kettle of fish though!

Colonies for the Feeble Minded, as they were originally called, only became necessary during the Industrial Revolution. Before then, there were lots of jobs in the rural community for people who were less well endowed intellectually, but as agriculture became less labour intensive and more mechanised they disappeared.

That the error pages are cacheable is an issue in itself - I'm going to look into being able to tweak the error page displayed, so it isn't cached. If its the case that these Fatal Error pages are being cached inadvertently then historically it puts a different slant on when the forum has had minor issues in the past. The major issues (of the previous host, up until Tuesday) were a different kettle of fish though!

Shouldn't there be a no-cache header on the error page or are they dynamically created pages and then cached in an internal database cache table which is what Drupal does to speedup page loading...?

The ones in particular are dynamically created (by the error handler) but this isn't a reason it iself not to send a no-cache header. AFAIK IP.Board doesn't dynamically cache error message pages (or any others) but it does cache certain fast-changing data in a couple of tables to speed up access. I know MySQL caches info but the way it does it is fairly robust, not sure what the previous host might have changed on the Apache server regarding caching options.