Piper Narrowboat ramming a lock gate

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

It's quite obvious that the lock water is down 6". That is until the idiot rams the gate and opens it. There can be no excuse at all. If for any reason the gate will not open he should seek help and advise not simply ram the gate. He ought to be struck off forever. Hopefully he reads this thread and learns a lesson.

It's quite obvious that the lock water is down 6". That is until the idiot rams the gate and opens it. There can be no excuse at all. If for any reason the gate will not open he should seek help and advise not simply ram the gate. He ought to be struck off forever. Hopefully he reads this thread and learns a lesson.

That type won't read this thread, would any of us do something like that?

shocking, - i see the gate still never opened - i wonder if there was a problem with it so he thought ram it to get it open? - if there wasnt a problem there might be now -

i also see he has a flag on the back of the boat? but cant make it out.

Came down this lock today. No excuse for the behaviour, but water was pouring over the top gate as we descended. No sightings of the offender as we travelled down from Rodley.

I notice that FB has a quota claiming that people are condemning unfairly.

Even if we were talking about a lock that wouldn't make a level, there are reasonable ways of doing it. This was not it!

• Greenie 1

well I sure as hell hope nobody films any of my cock ups! ....is the guy going to get lynched I wonder.

We've all made cock ups, some of us more spectacular than others. This guy didn't do that though, he rammed the gates. Twice. If the video uploader is to be believed.

The thing I don't quite grasp is why he did it, there was someone there helping him get them open, nosing up and pushing seems to be an easier way to achieve opening them and kinder to both the gates and the boat.

well I sure as hell hope nobody films any of my cock ups! ....is the guy going to get lynched I wonder.

There is a difference between an accidental cock up and being deliberately reckless.....

Two totally different things. No he doesn't deserve a lynching but he deserves a pretty stiff talking to and a lesson in practical boating. Even as a novice hire boater many years ago I knew this was completely the wrong way to approach that situation.

I wish somebody from the authorities still reads these posts (there used to be a couple of BW staff who read them and occasionally comment) and actively searches down the perpetrator. In their shoes I would and prosecute.

Red Duster?

Yep Red Duster for one and looks like a boating / yacht club burgee above it on their tiller post.

Not really an ambassador for the waterway......

As none of us know the reason why he done what he did there could be a reasonable experlation. I think (wait for it) the lock was losing water faster than it could fill, he then needed to "snatch" the gate in order for it to open. I also think there would be less damage to the gates then if you (as some people have said) put a line on the balance beam and tried pulling on it. No worse I think than a set of partially opened gates slamming shut.

Darren

In the not too distant past it was very common for powered commercial boats to push lock gates open, varying from leaving the boat in gear against the top gate and it opening once the water levels had equalised to bumping the top gates fairly hard in order to place a wedge into the gap between the gates / gate and bank. The former was to save on physical effort whilst the latter was to save time.

The subject of bumping and wedging top gates open has been discussed at some length in the History and Heritage section of this Forum. The link below demonstrates this practice at 8 minutes and 30 seconds captain.gif

I would suggest those of a critical disposition do not watch this film.