Piper Narrowboat ramming a lock gate

StarUKKiwi

Featured Posts

I think it is badly written. I think it refers to the total cost of gates due for replacement this winter on a particular region, section or canal (or maybe the whole system but this seems less likely)

From https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/our-work/major-works/building-lock-gates

"The programme usually requires the manufacture of around 180 lock gate leaves per annum, at a cost of approximately £1.8m."

So around ten grand each gate, but that could be a range of about 5k to 20k depending on the gate size. Plus the costs of teams, cranes, pumps etc.

I agree that 80k sounds a bit steep for one gate, but that might well be the total budgeted cost for replacing gates on lock 83.

Edited to add:

It is certainly not the total spend for lock gates in the North West this winter looking at the draft stoppages list - they are listing a lot of work in Blackburn that didn't get done last year.

Edited by TheBiscuits

500 quid? He must have friends in high places! Got off lightly, eh?

As for the other berserker, yes, CRT should claim off his insurance company. Otherwise - why am I paying insurance? CRT insists on it...

Both boaters to have licences revoked for 1 year I'd say as a suitable side punishment.

Or they could choose to sit in a set of stocks at Foxton Locks for one month with an ample supply of squashy tomatoes nearby in a box.