Sea sick

Pennie

Featured Posts

Embaressed to say that last night I was feeling very ill from the wind tossing and jerking Rose around.sick.gif

Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a constant rocking and rolling like when on the Trent but it was very intermittant and I didn't have a chance to aclimatise to the movement. Wouldn't have been so bad if we were tied at both end but I'm just tied at the bow and then tied across to both boats either side of me.

On the good side, no one in the yard lost anything, even though the place next door lost part of his roof on his outbuildings.

How was everyone elses night?

Conversely I felt a bit land sick yesterday after having been on the boat for nine days!

The boat is constantly moving when moored on the coast, usually just a small nodding motion. My body must have gotten used to it rolleyes.gif

Feel fine again now.

Fortunately I have never suffered with seasickness, even when the boat is moving around like this: (We were in bed when the weather picked up and she starting jumping!)

Edited by Naughty Cal

For anyone who has not been sea sick and would like to experience it, may I recommend a sea survival course that involves sitting inside a enclosed survival raft with the curtain closed in any sort of sea.

The total lack of any rigid section and the subsequent lack of visual reference is pretty well guaranteed to induce motion sickness.

The only time I have ever felt it was in such a raft off the end of Southend pier on a fairly calm day and that includes 50 plus years of seafaring in all types of craft.

Embaressed to say that last night I was feeling very ill from the wind tossing and jerking Rose around.sick.gif

Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a constant rocking and rolling like when on the Trent but it was very intermittant and I didn't have a chance to aclimatise to the movement. Wouldn't have been so bad if we were tied at both end but I'm just tied at the bow and then tied across to both boats either side of me.

On the good side, no one in the yard lost anything, even though the place next door lost part of his roof on his outbuildings.

How was everyone elses night?

Sounds like your mooring arrangements are just like mine. I make a point of tightening the bow ropes on my boat and the boats either side of me when windy weather is forecast. You could also try tying with the centre lines from one roof to the next to reduce the sideways rocking motion.

I can get seasick in the bath! Unless of course I'm driving the boat, in which case it's all "ya-hoo, bring it on!"

Weird huh?

Not weird at all. Motion sickness comes mostly from the disconnect between the movements you're experiencing and your brain's expectations. When what you're feeling doesn't seem to have any connection to what you're doing.

Even more obvious with flying - it's almost impossible for most people to make themselves airsick when at the controls, but even very experienced pilots can get queasy pretty quickly when it's someone else doing the flying.

I've found the same at sea. Up on deck steering a big ship through large swells in a force 7? Happy as larry. Down below in the galley, in much lighter conditions, trying to make some food? Hopeless. And being towed, which I've done a couple of times, is particularly bad, because you can't even get used to the rhythm of the motion - keeps getting interrupted by the sudden jerk of the towline taking up slack.

Not weird at all. Motion sickness comes mostly from the disconnect between the movements you're experiencing and your brain's expectations. When what you're feeling doesn't seem to have any connection to what you're doing.

Even more obvious with flying - it's almost impossible for most people to make themselves airsick when at the controls, but even very experienced pilots can get queasy pretty quickly when it's someone else doing the flying.

I've found the same at sea. Up on deck steering a big ship through large swells in a force 7? Happy as larry. Down below in the galley, in much lighter conditions, trying to make some food? Hopeless. And being towed, which I've done a couple of times, is particularly bad, because you can't even get used to the rhythm of the motion - keeps getting interrupted by the sudden jerk of the towline taking up slack.

I can relate to all the above 100%, Especially At Displacement speeds, it's NOT only the Up & Down, Left & Right, Surging Fwd, then The slowing down,,But it's also the Corkscrew motion whilst all the other stuff is going on as well that can get me especially on the longer open water trips when we take turns at the helm. Yes much happier in the Helm seat where you can make visual sense of it all !. And it's then not too much of a shock when you stuff the nose in a trough, & that big Snotty green wave hits the Bow Door occasionally...

Edited by Paul's Nulife4-2
  • Greenie 1

You could also try tying with the centre lines from one roof to the next to reduce the sideways rocking motion.

We are tied by the centre line which really does help.

As I said initially I could cope with the movement however extreme it was if only it was consistent. 3 mins on no movement followed by a roller coaster in all directions with sudden jerks as the wind changes it mind about which way to push us all.

Just been out on deck and watching the waves on the river cresting. Also saw some poor couple stuck in a lock as they were not able get out as only one person on land holding just one gate open and the boat/wind deciding it wanted to go out the other way. Think they were grateful for a hand

We have had gusts of wind in the last half hour that have made me aware that the boat is not just going side to side and backwards and forwards but also up and down. To add,we are tied up securely as well.

At about the same time a boat went past with a small radio on the rear hatch. He cleared the protection of the off side trees and plop , in went the radio.

He knocked the boat out of gear for about ten seconds but gave up the rescue attempt as he was heading towards the nearby water tap.

Calming a little now. Blossom all over the boat. Nice!

In my gliding days I once spent an hour struggling to find lift, my eyes were glued to the instruments with an occasional glance outside, consequently the horizon just wheeled past in my peripheral vision, unable to click my eyes from one point to the next and forced to constantly turn for almost the entire hour. Though I was solo and therefore in control I felt really ill but reluctant to give up, I was quite relieved when the lift finally died and I was able to land.

Monday evening and night was indeed very windy, but I slept pretty well, perhaps because I'd had a tiring day of locking.

I was on nb Wyrd on the Trent & Mersey, which hughc had moored using what I think is the standard method of a bow and stern line plus a line running back from the bow (a spring?). The boat didn't move much at all, although the weather outside was nasty; the thing which kept me awake a little while was the ticking of a clock, which I don't have at home.

Seasickness seems a bit random to me, maybe depending on a number of factors including the person. I've always been fine except that once on a Southampton to Cherbourg ferry on a modestly choppy sea I was starting to feel queasy but a bit of walking up and down cured it. It seemed to help that I was letting the ship throw me side to side a bit as I went rather than trying to walk a perfect straight line. My sickness free record may be helped by the fact that I've only once been out on the open sea on anything smaller than the Solent ferry; that was in an open boat mackerel fishing trip off Lyme Regis where the boat was rocking a lot, but maybe there the clear view of the sea was crucial.

Yup !!! if you can see the horizon it gives the eyes a reference point and then the brain can start ignoring the information coming from the inner ear

I would have thought it was the opposite effect...

if you can not see the horizon but only the inside of the boat (that is moving with you) the eyes say nothing is moving while the ears say everything is, so the eyes and ears are battling it out with each other and you get seasickness

When you can see the horizon the eyes and ears agree that things really are moving

if you can not see the horizon but only the inside of the boat (that is moving with you) the eyes say nothing is moving while the ears say everything is, so the eyes and ears are battling it out with each other and you get seasickness

When you can see the horizon the eyes and ears agree that things really are moving

Er isn't that what John just said? or have I misread your post.

Phil

Once read an interesting theory of seasickness which may or may not be true. The author suggested that the problem of the disconnect between what your eye is seeing and what your inner ear is telling the brain is one of the symptoms of being poisoned (I suppose you could call alcohol a poison and the effect is the same!). The brain becomes convinced the body has been poisoned and reverts to the usual means of trying to deal with it, ejecting the stomach contents. Seemed feasible to me unsure.png

I love it when the boat is bobbing about like a pea in a tin can, but then I also like rough ferry crossings and will stand out on the deck giggling like a loon. :D

All of the above, on a boat trip in NO as we left the bay we hit the open sea and we were bouncing around all over the place.

bloody amazing, I loved it stood at the front being drenched crashing through the waves.

Unfortunately the boss man decided to turn back after half hour of so and got me dragged back into the cabin with everyone else, sick everywhere green faces and worried faces filled the cabin, stuff this I said and went back outside.

Yup !!! if you can see the horizon it gives the eyes a reference point and then the brain can start ignoring the information coming from the inner ear

Jess the post you quoted should really have been read in conjunction with my first post (below)

For anyone who has not been sea sick and would like to experience it, may I recommend a sea survival course that involves sitting inside a enclosed survival raft with the curtain closed in any sort of sea.

The total lack of any rigid section and the subsequent lack of visual reference is pretty well guaranteed to induce motion sickness.

The only time I have ever felt it was in such a raft off the end of Southend pier on a fairly calm day and that includes 50 plus years of seafaring in all types of craft.

When you are below decks your ears say you are moving your eyes say you are not = sick.gif , on deck when the brain is being told by your ears that it is swaying and it's time to be sick.gif you can glance at the sea and your brain then knows everything is not moving round it's only the boat, the horizon is a nice fixed point of reference socool.png the real grief with this system of course is in a pea souper biggrin.png Its all about disorientation

Edited by John V

I took to my bed for 4 days once with awful sea sickness but as years past began to enjoy up and down movement of the sea whilst laying in my bunk. This enjoyment of sea motion progressed even further until big storm where I sat in a lounge on a ship during force 12 and marvelled at awesome sight.

Sea legs come, be patient.