Grease Gun Recommendations?

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend a reasonable quality grease gun?

Do I need to buy a selection of attachments, or are nappies fairly standard?

Currently, it's for the rudder stock bearing at deck level, and the bearing that the prop shaft goes through, between gearbox and stern gland.

Certainly on older cars the nipples were a standard size, although on my old grease gun the end is removable, presumably to enable different sized adaptors to be used.

Greasing is not at all scary, (unless you are under a car and the jack slips) so no need for nappies :)

If the grease nipple end resembles an air gun pellet in shape, one of the better grease guns( if still available ) was marketed under the brand name Wanner

Would that be a pointed, domed or hollow nose airgun pellet?

Just acquired a Wanner from my grandpa, yet to use use, but it looks a good piece of kit.

- That said, I have used a whole range of cheap 400g guns and not real issue with any one of them to be honest.

Basically all nipples are standard, the only exception being the infamous slide on DIN button head which I have yet to see in person!

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=grease+nipple&espv=2&biw=1422&bih=1010&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OX1oVe2hIcaZ7AaF8oHoDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&dpr=0.9

Daniel

I bought my Wanner in 1964 and it's still going strong after greasing literally thousands of nipples. For example the old Fords E93A, 7W, Y type, E83W ect, ect, ect had near enough 30 grease nipples on em.

If you take a nipple to the shop and try snapping it into a new Wanner grease gun type claw collet you will need pliers to pull it out again and the shopkeeper may object if you don't go ahead and buy it.

I bought my Wanner in 1964 and it's still going strong after greasing literally thousands of nipples.

Slight spin off, but what size grease cartage is it, 85g I presume?

Daniel

That's a job I have been putting off because I don't know how to tell when you've put enough in. I don't want to damage any seals on my rudder bearing assuming it has some. How do you tell?

(I have one of those guns pictured, it has been unused for at least 40 years.)