Dunkirk Little Ships

Theo

Featured Posts

Called in at the Royal Docks yesterday to see the Little Ships arrive. I took some pictures:

2015-05-16%2018.11.21_zpsznvlxao8.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.09.52_zpswkx3qtff.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.09.36_zpsp3no1oo1.jpg

I have photos of, I think, all that were there. There are 15 more but I thought that uploading them all in the same post would be a bit much.

More later.

N

4 - 6

2015-05-16%2018.09.13_zpspwpnxz2u.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.08.35_zpstutwdzru.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.08.03_zps0kbhuefz.jpg

The board is adding them all to the same post anyway!

7 - 9

2015-05-16%2018.07.44_zpsrpk0ybma.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.07.17_zpscg9c6li1.jpg

2015-05-16%2018.06.58_zpswpnhmioq.jpg

10 - 12

... Sorry. My computer is progressing with all the haste of continental drift. I send the rest later if anyone is interested.

N

And how similar in appearance. Did all small pleasure boats of the time have white painted hulls and varnished cabins?

Hi,

The smaller boats were all pretty well standard Thames pleasure launches, quite well documented in the B&W film 'Dunkirk'.

One, L'Orange, used to be moored just above Shiplake lock, Henley and was owned by the late,great Raymond Baxter. We shared a few locks with it on it's way down to a re-union crossing years ago. Now these launches can be identified by the flag Dunkirk 'Little ships' are permitted to fly and a brass plaque internally.

There are probably more details on the Historic Boats register.

L

http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/content/75th-anniversary-return-dunkirk-21st-25th-may-2015

Itinerary for the events, and list of Little Ships taking part.

Sorely tempted to throw suitcase ....and dog.....into car and head for Ramsgate !

Thanks to Theo for posting this topic, and for the inspiring photographs.

Hi,

The smaller boats were all pretty well standard Thames pleasure launches, quite well documented in the B&W film 'Dunkirk'.

One, L'Orange, used to be moored just above Shiplake lock, Henley and was owned by the late,great Raymond Baxter. We shared a few locks with it on it's way down to a re-union crossing years ago. Now these launches can be identified by the flag Dunkirk 'Little ships' are permitted to fly and a brass plaque internally.

There are probably more details on the Historic Boats register.

L

L'Orage (the storm) I think. I saw her going down the Thames a couple of days ago, beatifully restored by her new custodian, she fell into a bit of a state of disrepair when Raymond passed away.

Friends of mine have just bought a little ship and had her restored; an eye watering amount of money for a small cruiser, and I think they have no idea of what it will take to keep her in that condition.

http://www.adls.org.uk/t1/content/75th-anniversary-return-dunkirk-21st-25th-may-2015

Itinerary for the events, and list of Little Ships taking part.

Sorely tempted to throw suitcase ....and dog.....into car and head for Ramsgate !

Thanks to Theo for posting this topic, and for the inspiring photographs.

Brilliant website -------lots of background == see you at Ramsgate;

Bacchus - you are correct on the spelling .

Hope the weather is kind to them.

L.

But do not forget all the others who went too and remember the loss of life. All Boaters who stop at Alrewas should take the opportunity to go to the National Memorial Arboretum.

Always have a look at Nyula when we go to Sileby Mill to do anything with Tyto. She is Alex's pride and joy - he has spent many many hours working on her. I've witnessed his woodworking/boat building skills when he fitted a new stem post and scarfed in some new plank ends a couple of winters ago - very difficult work but well done. Nyula is the only boat at Sileby to have its own covered dock!!

Has Alex and Nyula arrived yet?

Sorry not to have relied sooner. I am in the process of reinstalling W7 and it is taking ages!

I was disappointed not to see them both.

N

I admire the 'Little Ships' and their owners but I believe they were crewed by RN sailors on the rescue from Dunkerque.

Alan

That would make sense but it's the first I've heard of it having known a few 'Dunkirk Boat' owners over the years.

Got any independent evidence?

I admire the 'Little Ships' and their owners but I believe they were crewed by RN sailors on the rescue from Dunkerque.

Most of them were. In many cases the boats were simply requisitioned by the military from where they lay.

A number did sail with their own crews, though. One was the Thames sailing barge Tollesbury, which as it happens we lived on until quite recently.

The story goes that she was sailing up the Thames when a navy boat came alongside and ordered the skipper and his young mate to either hand over the ship or volunteer to take her to Dunkirk. They volunteered, but once en route were told that the sailing barges were going to be abandoned on the beach to provide cover for evacuation by other vessels.

The skipper, Lem Webb, was having none of that. They did beach her but managed to refloat on the next tide and sailed back with 273 soldiers aboard.