Widebeam to camp hill, brum.

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Hmmm, don't tell anyone....

You can see a long way beyond Shrewley when you are approaching it, probably two or three tunnel lengths (I'd give it a go without booking)

Richard

frusty.gif

Bit late telling him that. He's been doing it too long lol. The damage is done.

I hope you didn't read or act on the bit Maffi reported - it's misinformation and Not To Be tolerated apparently. Unlike personal abuse - that's OK here now

Richard

What is it with Shrewley that it needs booking? It's a fair bit shorter than the Bruce for example. Is it due to the amount of traffic?

It is a wide tunnel with two way working, so you have to book it for widebeam boats like you do Braunston and Blisworth, even though Shrewley is very much shorter than the others.

It is a wide tunnel with two way working, so you have to book it for widebeam boats like you do Braunston and Blisworth, even though Shrewley is very much shorter than the others.

Which makes a certain amount of sense. OK, it's short enough that you can easily see if there's a boat coming before you enter it, but not necessarily if said boat is wide. You have to assume that only narrow boats will be coming the other way, unless a "don't enter the tunnel when there's a boat in it" rule applies.

MP.

Which makes a certain amount of sense. OK, it's short enough that you can easily see if there's a boat coming before you enter it, but not necessarily if said boat is wide. You have to assume that only narrow boats will be coming the other way, unless a "don't enter the tunnel when there's a boat in it" rule applies.

MP.

I had a boater shouting abuse at me for "daring" to enter Newbold tunnel on the North Oxford while he was in it coming the other way.

We were both on narrowboats and passed easily.

George ex nb Alton retired

I've used the Bruce (Savernake) tunnel several times in my 'beamer. The tunnel is slightly longer at 502yds so technically I don't think you even need lights. I've never met another boat, but if I did I reckon it's a case of "first come, first served". There are plenty of widebeams including hireboats that go that way. You'd see them entering so I'd just carry on with repeated long blasts on my horn. Obviously when I get to Shrewley, I shall obey the local rules.

I had a boater shouting abuse at me for "daring" to enter Newbold tunnel on the North Oxford while he was in it coming the other way.

We were both on narrowboats and passed easily.

George ex nb Alton retired

Snap,

My explanation that it was a prototype for Netherton Tunnel, and this wide enough for two boats was wasted on him. He just wanted of rant, not a history lesson :)

I've used the Bruce (Savernake) tunnel several times in my 'beamer. The tunnel is slightly longer at 502yds so technically I don't think you even need lights.

But you think wrongly - the bye laws require a light for tunnels in excess of 440 yards.

So technically in Bruce it is required, (but at Shrewley it is not).

But you think wrongly - the bye laws require a light for tunnels in excess of 440 yards.

So technically in Bruce it is required, (but at Shrewley it is not).

Ok. Thanks for that info Mr Fincher.