Widebeam to camp hill, brum.

jenlyn

Featured Posts

Right. At the moment, I am in Leamington spa. I'm looking at heading towards camp hill where there is on the map a winding hole just before camp hill narrow locks.
The problem is, I am on a 60x10ft widebeam. Will the bridges and winding hole accomodate me?

When I'm not boating I walk the dog on part of this route (Tyseley to Olton) every day.

While I agree with Lady Muck about the bridges, there is a significant amount of rubbish which your boat may stir up where a narrowboat would not. This may become something to watch in bridge holes.

I would recommend having a crew equipped to overcome this and to allow time accordingly.

If you say when you are doing the trip, I may be available to lend a hand.

When I'm not boating I walk the dog on part of this route (Tyseley to Olton) every day.

While I agree with Lady Muck about the bridges, there is a significant amount of rubbish which your boat may stir up where a narrowboat would not. This may become something to watch in bridge holes.

I would recommend having a crew equipped to overcome this and to allow time accordingly.

If you say when you are doing the trip, I may be available to lend a hand.

Thank you. I've just discovered I have to book shrewly tunnel as well, so I'll do that.

We never go over 1000 revs (2mph), and only have a 23 inch draft, so hopefully won't disturb too much rubbish, or scare the natives lol.

Hmmm, don't tell anyone....

You can see a long way beyond Shrewley when you are approaching it, probably two or three tunnel lengths

Richard

Edited by GoodGurl
edited out misinformation

Hmmm, don't tell anyone....

You can see a long way beyond Shrewley when you are approaching it, probably two or three tunnel lengths

Richard

Alex in the CRT office may get a bit peed off of I do that. Though I did think of getting Les to just go the other end and warn others.

Edited by GoodGurl
edited quote

There's some pretty big widebeams moored at Catherine De Barnes. Bigger than yours I think. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting to Camp Hill. Put's me in mind of a conversation I had with one of the guys working a Braunston marina. I asked if he had any widebeams for sale and his reply was that they hadn't because you couldn't get widebeams up as far as Braunston. I just gave him a quizzical look.

There's some pretty big widebeams moored at Catherine De Barnes. Bigger than yours I think. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting to Camp Hill. Put's me in mind of a conversation I had with one of the guys working a Braunston marina. I asked if he had any widebeams for sale and his reply was that they hadn't because you couldn't get widebeams up as far as Braunston. I just gave him a quizzical look.

I get to braunston fine, even managed the kink in the tunnel this year without scraping paint.

Calcutt to Leamington was time consuming. A couple of narrow angled bridges, and the offside even at this time of year was bad in a couple of places. Will be worse when the trees are flourishing later.

The depth is fine.

In all honesty, it's a bit tricky for widebeams, and you should allow extra time for doing the trip with one. Also be thoughtfull when mooring for the night.

Nice scenery though.

Edited by jenlyn

Make sure you've got a brolly in Shrewley. The wettest tunnel in the world !

Rog

Wetter than usual at the moment. The North end always has a few gushers, I don't remember the South part being wet for many years

Richard

Right. At the moment, I am in Leamington spa. I'm looking at heading towards camp hill where there is on the map a winding hole just before camp hill narrow locks.[/size]The problem is, I am on a 60x10ft widebeam. Will the bridges and winding hole accomodate me?[/size]

We went past you yesterday on our way back down South but nobody at home! Still not gone for a narrow boat yet then?

I am sure it could be done but I always find Camp Hill to Catherine de Barnes a really tedious stretch. Lots of rubbish under the bridges and no where safe to stop overnight ... I love it once you're into Birmingham and I love it when you are out of Birmingham , it's just the bit in between I don't like.

So my question would be "why bother?" .... but I suppose the answer is "because you can!"

Anyway have a good trip!

Edited by NickF

I agree CdeB to Camp hill is a bit dismal, but if I had a WB then I would do it is the spirit of because you can!

Anyway we will passs jenlyn sometime over the weekend, we are in Long Itchington at the moment (Beer festival good last night), and will be going up Hatton on Sunday or Monday depending of what the rain does over the weekend.

To baseplayer if you did not know there is a beer festival in Long Itchington as always over this bank holiday weekend, but perhaps you are here already?

To baseplayer if you did not know there is a beer festival in Long Itchington as always over this bank holiday weekend, but perhaps you are here already?

No I didn't, but I'm already past there now. Thanks for letting me know though. Maybe one for next year!

I am sure it could be done but I always find Camp Hill to Catherine de Barnes a really tedious stretch. Lots of rubbish under the bridges and no where safe to stop overnight ... I love it once your into Birmingham and I love it when you are out of Birmingham , it's just the bit in between I don't like.

So my question would be "why bother?" .... but I suppose the answer is "because you can!"

Anyway have a good trip!

There are rings just by Stockfield Road bridge (can't remember the bridge no.) where you can moor - there are three occupied offside moorings nearly opposite. I would not leave the boat but then there is no nearby pub or restaurant so you wouldn't want to anyway.

Manzil's for a curry - Mmmmm

Richard

Manzil's is ok. If you really want to eat well round there, try Rico Libre. Only open Thurs-Sun though. Or Karczma, for a slightly longer walk.

Edited by Dave_P

Manzil's is ok. If you really want to eat well round there, try Rico Libre. Only open Thurs-Sun though. Or Karczma, for a slightly longer walk.

Yebbut - not for a curry

Richard