See post # ?

Ange

Featured Posts

Can we lose this please? There are a lot of users on the mobile app who can't see the post number and I have to say I've only ever seen it used for point scoring.

I know what you mean, but I treat such a post like any other point scoring one and just ignore it. Just as I seldom bother to click through on an initial post that's solely a link to some bandwidth guzzling news site.

If the poster can't be assed to say what he/she is on about, I can't be assed to start loading extra pages.

Theres also lots of people still using computers,

What would you propose to use in its place when wishing to bring posters attention to previous comments? something like " see page 4, 6 comments down"

That will not work, as you can configure how many posts appear on a page, so if you use 20 per page, and I use 40 per page, I would be saying "see page 2, 26 comments down"!

I know what you mean, but I treat such a post like any other point scoring one and just ignore it. Just as I seldom bother to click through on an initial post that's solely a link to some bandwidth guzzling news site.

If the poster can't be assed to say what he/she is on about, I can't be assed to start loading extra pages.

Sometimes though it isn't to score points it is just to say 'please see what I said earlier'. If doing this though it is easy (on a PC and often on a tablet too) just to insert a 'clickable' link to the post in question which I normally remember to try to do.

Then all users can go back easily if they wish to see what was previously said.

(That said it's harder to insert clickable links when using the mobile version of the site, the reason being that a post number, which you can use to bring up the 'address' of the post doesn't, as pointed out in the OP, appear in the mobile app.)

Edited by MJG

right, so all computer based web systems should be dumbed down so that those peeps that walk along the streets and towpaths gazing lovingly at their smartphone and punching away at the keyboard with their thumb, while glibly ignoring the outside world, can now extend their activities to responding in detail on the forum. Probably explains why there are so many inane posts on some threads.

I think not. Smartphones are evil and should not have access to the WWW. Personally I use a clamshell which never breaks, never suffers from a cracked screen or does not have buttons that can be inadvertently pressed. Phone development was at its peak when they were perfected, and I have been using one for 15 years no probs.

:judge::rolleyes:

from a happy luddite.

I thought it was because some people understandably find a phone or a tablet more convenient to use for Internet access on a boat.

right, so all computer based web systems should be dumbed down so that those peeps that walk along the streets and towpaths gazing lovingly at their smartphone and punching away at the keyboard with their thumb, while glibly ignoring the outside world, can now extend their activities to responding in detail on the forum. Probably explains why there are so many inane posts on some threads.

I think not. Smartphones are evil and should not have access to the WWW. Personally I use a clamshell which never breaks, never suffers from a cracked screen or does not have buttons that can be inadvertently pressed. Phone development was at its peak when they were perfected, and I have been using one for 15 years no probs.

judge.gifrolleyes.gif

from a happy luddite.

I tend to agree. I have a damned smartfone as I needed a cheap easy way to connect tut tinternet but 90 percent of the other stuff it does is just crap for 12 year olds and yes the stupid thing reacts far too easily to being merely touched.

Tim

• Greenie 1

Can we lose this please? There are a lot of users on the mobile app who can't see the post number and I have to say I've only ever seen it used for point scoring.

I find it quite useful (admittedly I only view the forum via a PC and do, like Bruce, ignore it when it's used for point scoring). Is it possible to include it on a quoted response? especially useful if someone is only copying part of a previous post.

It seems to me a perfectly natural thing to write - just as in a book a remark might be suffixed by "See P. 94" to avoid repeating a point already made.

What I do find rude and lazy is a thread which starts with a link to a web site - with no word of explanation or introduction. Surely, if a topic is worth starting, the topic starter must be interested enough to make a comment himself rather than just pointing the way to somebody else's work.

:judge::rolleyes:

from a happy luddite.

Never in my day etc.

6TMxN0w.png

I am fed up with frequent comments about users being on their phone.

Why not wait until you have access to a tablet, laptop or desktop computer?

I tend to agree. I have a damned smartfone as I needed a cheap easy way to connect tut tinternet but 90 percent of the other stuff it does is just crap for 12 year olds and yes the stupid thing reacts far too easily to being merely touched.

Tim

Here here!!

Have a greenie :)

I mostly look at the forum on my iPad, but if I have to use the iPhone I always click at the bottom to view the full, as opposed to mobile, version of the site. I dislike the limited functionality of the mobile version. The full version can be zoomed and panned so that even I can see it without my glasses (if I make it REALLY big!).

I suggest you consider doing the same, then you will not have a problem. I sometimes use the "see post x" but it is not to score points, it is merely to point out that a question or point being posed has already been answered earlier in the thread, and it saves repitition of what might be quite a long earlier post.