Favourite mooring spots on our Waterways

Cruising Mike

Featured Posts

This

http://goo.gl/maps/ltzRy

is where my favorite mooring is.

haven't been there for 2 years but it was a leisurly day from Jones marina where we kept the boat.

Every time we stopped there, a barn owl was hunting through the trees at about at 6pm. Very much in the middle of nowhere.

about 2 miles west of where I was last weekend - amazing view of the stars as well.

Here's another favourite - just east of March on the Middle level, near the junction with the Twenty Foot (you can see the sign in the background).

dscf9140_w01198.jpg?w=1000&h=

Bendover Wendover........... you're prolly too young to remember that.

Searching for that on Google got some interesting results...

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Here's another favourite - just east of March on the Middle level, near the junction with the Twenty Foot (you can see the sign in the background).

dscf9140_w01198.jpg?w=1000&h=

We prefer bit further towards Popham's Eau, in the shadow of the wind turbines.

MP.

This is probably a bit unadventurous, but my home mooring is, I think, my favourite. I have been to lots of other, lovely moorings, but none of them are home, or rather have the surroundings of home, or near friends or favourite pubs, or near this beautiful city.

It is hard to say in terms of a short list as there are many places on the system I really enjoy.

Almost any part of the summit section of the South Oxford is good as is some parts of the last few miles into Foxton. Mooring somewhere before getting Atherstone is a pleasant place. I like mooring at Tixhall wide even though we usually moor away from other boats.

This year we moored at Ellesmere Port lower basin over night after visiting the museum which felt special in those surroundings.

Having moved the boat last year to a new location we are now navigating less familiar waters but we have already have found some new places we like and are looking forward to finding more this year and beyond.

About the same here, I would think...

dscf9158.jpg?w=1000&h=

I won't tell if you don't.

As a general point, if you want to moor somewhere really quiet, I recommend going along a section which is officially designated as unnavigable.

Funny that no-one has yet mentioned the centre of Banbury on the southern Oxford Canal. BHS right next door for 10-items breakfasts for 4 Quid. Yum Yum!

A photo would be useful - of the plate, I know what Banbury looks like!

I love this picture.... Did you ever have trouble with mosquitoes?

Not too bad.

The boys went for a swim and then we noticed the outlet from the (very small) sewage works. The bank was surprisingly firm under all the foliage, the plank did its job.