Cheshire Ring Overnight Stops

Cruising Mike

Featured Posts

Hi guys

Considering the feedback from everyone on here and from Claymoore i have considered the option of going Clockwise. Below is the drafted schedule i have come up with.

Day 1 - Friday

Preston Brook Wharf to Agden Pipebridge Olde No.3 Pub Little Bollington (3hrs 50mins, 12 miles, 0 locks)

Day 2 - Saturday

Agden Pipebridge to Droyslden Marina at Fairfield Junction (10hrs 34mins, 15 miles, 27 locks)

Day 3 - Sunday

Droylsden Marina to Bugsworth Basin (9hrs 58mins, 17 miles, 16 locks)

Day 4 - Monday

Bugsworth Basin to Hag Footbridge No.16 High Poynton (5hrs 6mins, 11 miles, 0 locks)

Day 5 - Tuesday

hag Footbridge No.16 to Scholar Green Visitor Moorings Bleeding Wolf Pub (10hrs 21mins, 20 miles, 12 locks)

Day 6 - Wednesday

Scholar Green Visitor Moorings to Rookery Bridge No. 159 Stud Green (8hrs 50mins, 10 miles, 27 locks)

Day 7 - Thursday

Rookery Bridge No.159 to Moorfield Winding Hole (11hrs 6mins, 23 miles, 10 locks)

Day 8 - Friday

Moorfield Winding Hole to Preston Brook Wharf (41mins, 2 miles, 0 locks)

The last day is deliberately long as we wish to make the most of it after last year's disappointment in not making it as long as possible. Likewise, day 4 is deliberately short to allow us to enjoy the night before in the Navigation as well as spending the morning looking around the area. Also gives us time to pass by the Tesco at Whaley junction.

So do you have any feedback or suggestions to the above plan?

Appreciate all the help!

Doylsden has absolutely nothing going for it, and I say that as somebody born there Carry on to Ashton if you have the daylight and tie up in the landscaped area between the aquaduct and the lift bridge. At least you will have a nice view and a quiet night.

Edited due to predictive text

Edited by captain birdseye

I'd go a little bit further on the first day to Bollington Underbridge. The Swam with Two Nicks pub is just under the bridge and even if don't want the pub the mooring is much nicer than at the Olde Number 3 which is close to the road.

I don't know how good a mooring Fairfield junction will be - others will be better informed. I would personally move on to Portland Basin or just on to the top of the Peak Forest. It's also very close to Asda in Ashton for supplies. It will make for a long day but allow you an easier third day and plenty of time at Bugsworth.

I would personally go a bit further on day 4 to say Bollington. That will allow you to comfortably get to Red Bull junction on Day 5 with the chance to visit the Blue Bell, one of the great real beer pubs on the network, if that's your thing. The best mooring is on the Macc just before the "flyover" the Trent & Mersey although the moorings between locks 41 and 42 are also fine.

Getting to Red Bull would allow you to get right down Heartbreak Hill to Middlewich on day 6. Admittedly that would shorten your last day but I'd just take it slowly instead - it's a beautiful stretch (apart from just round Northwich). It would also allow you plenty of time to have a look at the Anderson Boat Lift.

If you like beer press on to Bollington on day 4 and walk across the recreation ground to the Vale, Bollington Brewerys tap. Good food too. If you don't make it to Red Bull the next day the Rising Sun at scholar Green is ok : or stop at Congleton Station and nip up the steps to the Queens

Just to add, we had a good night at Bugsworth last night. The food and beer in the Navigation were on form

Edited by captain birdseye

Day 7 - Thursday

Rookery Bridge No.159 to Moorfield Winding Hole (11hrs 6mins, 23 miles, 10 locks)

Day 8 - Friday

The last day is deliberately long as we wish to make the most of it after last year's disappointment in not making it as long as possible.

Planning your last full day to be so long does mean an increased risk that any holdup will require you to start off very early on the final Friday if you are not to be late back to the hire base.

Obviously there are 101 permutations for where you might stop, but I would be inclined to agree with CB, droylsden looked a bit grim when we passed it last year (mind you, it was bucketing with rain which never helps!). It's an easy run on to Dukinfield Jn, quite deep.

Obviously there are 101 permutations for where you might stop, but I would be inclined to agree with CB, droylsden looked a bit grim when we passed it last year (mind you, it was bucketing with rain which never helps!). It's an easy run on to Dukinfield Jn, quite deep.

Droylsden (Fairfield Junction) is probably a good mooring only when it's chucking it down. Guy Holden of Portland Basin does NOT recommend mooring there unless in the marina (which he also runs, but that's not the reason, as it's often full, so you'd have to phone him first).

Droylsden (Fairfield Junction) is probably a good mooring only when it's chucking it down. Guy Holden of Portland Basin does NOT recommend mooring there unless in the marina (which he also runs, but that's not the reason, as it's often full, so you'd have to phone him first).

I would echo the sentiment. Mooring outside Droylsden marina isn't a good move.

Press on to Just past Portland Basin (between bridges A and 1)

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I did have my doubts about Droylsden marina, but i thought it i'd check on here. I did have Dukinfield Lift Brdige 1 just after portland basin down as a stopping point on the anti-clockwise route and if time permits we can always keep going to this point.

The other stopping points i chose as me and my mate love pool and darts and the pubs at those points have either or both available. Mind you, we are not too fussed about pubs but we like to have the option there if desired. Furthermore, we are also not fussed about noise/roads as we wouldnt be bothered by it.

Droylsden Marina is pretty full these days and it may not be possible to get onto a (paid-for) secure pontoon and, as others have said, it is not a good idea to moor outside the marina.

I would suggest pressing on to Ashton, turning right onto the Peak Forest and then, either mooring alongside the grassed area before the lift bridge, as Dave suggests (which should be fine if other boats are moored there), or going through the lift bridge and mooring about 150 yards further on, which is a quieter spot (fewer people walking along that bit of towpath) and there are often other boats there.

Some have commented on the Rochdale Nine. Going up the flight, you may find the bottom gates hard to open if there is a lot of water pouring over the top gates. One solution is to open a paddle at the top end as well and allow some water to run through the lock. When the pound above has lowered a little, close the top paddle and get the bottom gates open before the water starts over-topping the top gate again.

At the moment we are both undecided on which way round to do it. We are weighing up the pro and cons.

For going clockwise, the biggest pro is that we do the city scape and major locks first and spend the remaining time in relative countryside. The biggest con is doing the 3 tunnels at the very end with no time to stop at Anderton Boat lift.

Anticlockwise, the biggest pro is we get the tunnels out of the way first and any waiting time lost at these can be gained later on. The biggest con is the potential risk of hold ups in Manchester/Rochdale. Also doing the cityscape at the end.

Edited to add, we are also looking at other options as a diversion instead of the Peak Forest to Bugsworth to see what the options are.

Edited by Cruising Mike

Just a couple of points :-

1.The Olde Number 3 is closed and to let ( again) so no point stopping there

2. You cannot do the stretch between Saltersford and Preston Brook tunnels in less than an hour so always have to wait up to 30-35 minutes at one or other of them. Just something to bear in mind for that very long final day.

Just a couple of points :-

1.The Olde Number 3 is closed and to let ( again) so no point stopping there

2. You cannot do the stretch between Saltersford and Preston Brook tunnels in less than an hour so always have to wait up to 30-35 minutes at one or other of them. Just something to bear in mind for that very long final day.

Actually, if you enter the first tunnel at the end of the allotted times, it gives you about an hour and a half to get to the second for the start of the allotted time, which should be just comfortable. Either way, give or take a couple of minutes.

Tim

At this point we are going to take Claymoore's advice on going clockwise. After talking about it between us, we decided it makes more sense to do the city first.

Pete of Ebor - Actually their website has to Weaver down as a navigation route from their base so i assume there is no issue there. Going clockwise, it is unlikely we will be doing this now anyway.

I will make some modifications to the route plan based on some of the feedback from our crew.

Edited by Cruising Mike

Thanks for all the advice. Sorry forgot to mention, we pick the boat up Friday 4th September, return on Friday 11th. If i'm not mistaken, school restarts on Monday 7th.

We are set on doing anti-clockwise. Timings seem to fit better when we consider an overnight stop at Bugsworth Basin.

Actually using the Anderton lift is not a must do, if time permits then we will consider it but otherwise we will just moor up and admire it from foot.

We do understand that some may be surprised that we will be missing out some popular stops. Our view is we are paying for the boat so we might as well spend as much time on it. After all, a week flies by!

As for Bosley, it's sound advice and i will discuss with my mate and see what he thinks. After all, if he hears 'more time in the Navigation' i think i know what he will say!

Edited to ask:- does anyone know if the Navigation has a either a dart board or pool table. Or even both?

One of the reasons the day after leaving Bugsworth is as short as it is gives us less pressure to get up so early in the morning as we plan to have a good night in the Navigation, a meal and everything. Also in the morning we will have a look around the area as it looks rather interesting.

Looking at the maps of the basin, it seems rather big and has multiple options for mooring up. How does one turn around?

The Rochdale 9 can be hard work and slow but I'm not aware of a lot of instances of closures. It can always happen on the Ashton that kids can drain a pound overnight. It happened to us, albeit about 25 years ago, when the pound above the Ardwick locks was drained and we were stuck for a day whilst it was filled up. That sort of thing has been a perennial problem in Wigan over the last couple of years but I'm not aware that it particularly has been on the Ashton.

It was valid 30 years ago when the Rochdale was barely navigable, cost a kings ransom to make the passage and would close without warning - I really can't see why that way would be risky now.

In fact, in the last few years, a breach at Dutton has proved considerably more likely!

Hi guys

Considering the feedback from everyone on here and from Claymoore i have considered the option of going Clockwise. Below is the drafted schedule i have come up with.

Day 1 - Friday

Preston Brook Wharf to Agden Pipebridge Olde No.3 Pub Little Bollington (3hrs 50mins, 12 miles, 0 locks)

Day 2 - Saturday

Agden Pipebridge to Droyslden Marina at Fairfield Junction (10hrs 34mins, 15 miles, 27 locks)

Day 3 - Sunday

Droylsden Marina to Bugsworth Basin (9hrs 58mins, 17 miles, 16 locks)

Day 4 - Monday

Bugsworth Basin to Hag Footbridge No.16 High Poynton (5hrs 6mins, 11 miles, 0 locks)

Day 5 - Tuesday

hag Footbridge No.16 to Scholar Green Visitor Moorings Bleeding Wolf Pub (10hrs 21mins, 20 miles, 12 locks)

Day 6 - Wednesday

Scholar Green Visitor Moorings to Rookery Bridge No. 159 Stud Green (8hrs 50mins, 10 miles, 27 locks)

Day 7 - Thursday

Day 8 - Friday

The last day is deliberately long as we wish to make the most of it after last year's disappointment in not making it as long as possible. Likewise, day 4 is deliberately short to allow us to enjoy the night before in the Navigation as well as spending the morning looking around the area. Also gives us time to pass by the Tesco at Whaley junction.

So do you have any feedback or suggestions to the above plan?

Appreciate all the help!

At this point we are going to take Claymoore's advice on going clockwise. After talking about it between us, we decided it makes more sense to do the city first.

Pete of Ebor - Actually their website has to Weaver down as a navigation route from their base so i assume there is no issue there. Going clockwise, it is unlikely we will be doing this now anyway.

I will make some modifications to the route plan based on some of the feedback from our crew.

We have done the Ring in May & August, my advice re the Macclesfield & Peak Forest Canals is to say you will be doing not much more than 2 mph due to moored boats & canal depth.

We met a couple last year who had to abandon doing the Cheshire Ring due to stoppages, they closed Marple Flight for a week. We took nine days in total

But if you are looking for a nice place to stop on the Bridgewater, try Dunham Massey - there is a pub about two minutes from the bridge, or Bridge 30 in Broadheath. Lovely pub food at the Packet House or in Sale.

I would also recommend doing Manchester mud week or first thing in the morning, we got stuck on the Rochdale Nine both times with things blocking the lock gates and of course the inevitable weedhatch foul ups.

• 1 month later...

I can't comment on up to date pricing or quality (or even if it's still there, as I haven't stopped there for a year or two), but there used to be a very good butchers in Lymm. Stockton Heath would be another likely place to find a butchers but I don't know of one myself.

It was on the same side of the road as the Golden Fleece, about 100 yards away from the canal. Lyme has a large number of places to eat out. Last time I was there there were an Italian, Turkish, Thai, Chinese, Indian, Bistro and a number of pubs, all within 200 yards of the canal.