diesel heating systems

Featured Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Just a quick question for you to consider - are you a liveaboard ?

You need a different level of qualified / approved "gas-man" to work (including removing or capping-off pipework) on your boat if you are a liveaboard to a leisure boater. (its the law)

You may be lucky and find a qualified fitter in Gas and also experienced in Diesel heaters.

Hi, yes liveaboard, boat is mainly in a marina, some weeks and weekends cruising. As I am still not retired..and out to work daily.. I need showers daily, heating at night and weekends, I get home too late to rely on lighting the wood burner. Currently have a Alde, but not enough radiators and doesnt work off a timer. David

Ok - you need to find a GSIUR (Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations) registered installer (even tho' you are uninstalling).

You need to ensure that he has LPG authorisation, and Boat authorisation (example a domestic or a caravan installer is not licensed to work on boats)

The relevant authorisation will be shown on his 'ticket' (like a driving licence with various categories shown)

The main reasons for this is that as a liveaboard you cannot have the standard BSS survey, it must be conducted to a higher standard. A BSS examiner who does not have the GSIUR approval (which many do not) cannot even do your pressure test and can only observe a GSIUR examiner doing it. The rest of the BSS is then conducted by the BSS examiner.

A terrible questions - and the answers will depend on folks own experiences.

I had an eberspacher (blown hot air) on our sea going cruiser, and I've had Eberspacher (water heaters) on two narrowboats. Non of these have caused a moments problems, never failed to ignite and never cost a penny in repairs (thats done it now !!!!!)

Other folks on here have disasterous history with eberspachers.

No advice on diesel boilers since ours is obsolete, but just a point on your stove - if you burn only wood, it is pretty hard to keep it lit whilst you are at work for a day, but if you burn smokeless coal nuggets it is quite easy - at least for our Morco squirrel. It will easily go for 12 hrs without refuelling and you would then get back from work to a cosy boat. Presuming it is a multi fuel stove of course.

Also just to mention that if you do go for the evaporator type diesel heater, you could consider fitting a GSM remote control so that you can start it by sending it a text (presuming your boat is moored in a phone signal area).

Edited by nicknorman

Hi,

What length boat?.

I have a 48 ft boat, heating system incorporates Kabola OD4 'old Dutch' runs for weeks quite happily on a low setting, has fitted boiler for hot water.

Make sure you get one with a fuel filter between oil storage tank and fire and the stove has on over boil cut out.

Runs an Ecofan and I have a 50 gallon dedicated fuel storage tank (gravity feed).

Runs on this low setting on a thermal circulation, with a CH pump fitted if you need a higher water temperature.

Needs a really thorough clean out about once a month.

Hope that helps.

L

Do you have 240V shore power. Running an electric fan heater might be an option?

Oh no, too many people on our marina choose to do this, with the consequence that at week ends the power is is always tripping out. When this happens they then moan on the marina Facebook page that they can't even make a cu of tea (electric kettles) Hook up should in the main be used for battery chargers, maybe TV.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

Oh no, too many people on our marina choose to do this, with the consequence that at week ends the power is is always tripping out. When this happens they then moan on the marina Facebook page that they can't even make a cu of tea (electric kettles) Hook up should in the main be used for battery chargers, maybe TV.

Phil

totally agree. When we move aboard we will not be taking an electric kettle.240 will be for tv and phone/laptop charger.

Cheers. Any thoughts of make of diesel boiler?

Hi

Solid fuel stoves are the best long term but as back up and ocasional use diesel is ok. I have had Mikuni which worked brill for ages then went tits up and cost me eighteen million pounds to repair/replace I have just sold a boat with a webasto thermo jobby which was brill and nearly silent but again tempremental and replaced with new the day before I sold boat!!

This boat I have owned two weeks and it has a thing called a Hurricane on it, so far it is massively superior in the way it performs BUT I think its called a Hurricane because it sounds like one also they are hugely more expensive than webasto ebbersplogger jobbies. Remember all diesel heaters also consume copius quantities of lecricity.

Tim

Hi,

Not overly popular on here but a harworth heating pressure jet boiler has performed faultlessly for us as our primary source of heating, best thing since sliced bread.

Redeye

Agree. On demand heating and water and fully programmable

Depends on budget rather.

I don't know the Harworth one but I'm sure it's fine.

We have had Kabolas and would again if I had the cash.

The drip feed ones don't use any leccy though, do they?

No, but neither do they heat radiators or water or indeed the other end of the boat. For The OP. A pressure jet boiler with its higher cost and size limitations for install is always the best option if it suits your boat and budget. Second and assuming your user pattern is suitable then a Webasto Thermo top (size dependant on load) properly installed to Webasto specifications is a good alternative, as it is more economical in capital outlay and does not have the size restrictions, but it must be correctly installed, serviced and used correctly if a lengthy service life is to be assured.

No, but neither do they heat radiators or water or indeed the other end of the boat. For The OP. A pressure jet boiler with its higher cost and size limitations for install is always the best option if it suits your boat and budget. Second and assuming your user pattern is suitable then a Webasto Thermo top (size dependant on load) properly installed to Webasto specifications is a good alternative, as it is more economical in capital outlay and does not have the size restrictions, but it must be correctly installed, serviced and used correctly if a lengthy service life is to be assured.

Hi

What the hell is this hurricane jobby I have fitted? Is it a pressure jet doobrey or what. It does seem damned efficient as well as damned noisey.

Tim

You keep pushing out this message and I am prepared to take notice.

Is there a register of suitably qualified people/ companies. It's a bit far to get to London so you can take a look.biggrin.png

A pressure jet boiler with its higher cost and size limitations for install is always the best option if it suits your boat and budget. Second and assuming your user pattern is suitable then a Webasto Thermo top (size dependant on load) properly installed to Webasto specifications is a good alternative

How many different technologies are used in diesel fired boat heaters?

I gather that the Hurricane is a Pressure Jet type, what type is a Webasto Thermo Top?

Is there a list somewhere of which brand/model uses which technologies?