Sunken boat, Wyrley & Essington

springy

Featured Posts

A bit of unofficial 'enforcement action' by people frustrated at CRT's inability to do anything about a boat appearing to be a blatant piss-taker, are you suggesting?

Perhaps it was the militant arm of that well known organisation - the Provisional IWA?

• Greenie 1

The Notice on the C&RT website is a wonderful example of just how stupid, inadequate and inexperienced the C&RT administration and management are. . . .

. . . quote :

" 50m west of Olinthus Bridge there is a sunken, burnt out, boat in the middle of the channel. The main cabin is above water and can be clearly seen. We have tried to move the boat but it is firmly grounded and we are now waiting for the owner to arrange for its removal. Until then boats can pass on either side, with caution, and it is advised that deeper drafted boats avoid the towpath side when passing.

Until its removal we will check the boat daily for any movement."

Edited by Tony Dunkley

I was quite surprised to see a boat moored there when I came past just before Christmas, looked to be in use.

Nowhere near visitor moorings, it was the only boat towpath side between the main line and Sneyd Junction, hardly impinging on anyones cruising or mooring rights.

From the local Express & Star newspaper, published 12 January 2015.

Narrowboat destroyed in suspected arson attack

A narrowboat was destroyed in a suspected arson attack while moored for the winter on a Wednesfield canal.

Firefighters from Willenhall were alerted around 12.45am after neighbours spotted the blaze on the stretch of water at the back of their homes in Lichwood Road.

Watch Commander Andy Morgan said: "It was well alight when we arrived. It had not sunk but it was unsalvageable."

The crew had to go through the back gardens of homes to reach the scene and extinguished the flames with a hose reel jet.

Firefighters were at the scene for almost two and a half hours yesterday and believe that the blaze had been started deliberately.

The value of the narrowboat is unknown but it is believed that the owner regularly moors it in the area.

The Notice on the C&RT website is a wonderful example of just how stupid, inadequate and inexperienced the C&RT administration and management are. . . .

. . . quote :

" 50m west of Olinthus Bridge there is a sunken, burnt out, boat in the middle of the channel. The main cabin is above water and can be clearly seen. We have tried to move the boat but it is firmly grounded and we are now waiting for the owner to arrange for its removal. Until then boats can pass on either side, with caution, and it is advised that deeper drafted boats avoid the towpath side when passing.

So the ownus is on the owner to move it, which seems not unreasonable from a good use of CRT funds point of view. CRT have tried to move it, but it's grounded and so, until such times as it's moved, they are going to check it regularly for movement presumably to make sure that it's not a navigation issue. None of that seems bad to me. They could, I suppose, move it now and bill the owner, but if it were our boat we'd probably prefer to have the first shout, wouldn't we?

The press report seems to suggest the owner moors the boat in that area regularly, and Matty has seen it in use too, so it does not like CRT are waiting for the fairies to come and move an abandoned boat.

I think we should have sympathy for the owner, who is probably having a nightmare, and give the CRT a break unless something pops up to show that to be misguided.

• Greenie 4

So the ownus is on the owner to move it, which seems not unreasonable from a good use of CRT funds point of view. CRT have tried to move it, but it's grounded and so, until such times as it's moved, they are going to check it regularly for movement presumably to make sure that it's not a navigation issue. None of that seems bad to me. They could, I suppose, move it now and bill the owner, but if it were our boat we'd probably prefer to have the first shout, wouldn't we?

The press report seems to suggest the owner moors the boat in that area regularly, and Matty has seen it in use too, so it does not like CRT are waiting for the fairies to come and move an abandoned boat.

I think we should have sympathy for the owner, who is probably having a nightmare, and give the CRT a break unless something pops up to show that to be misguided.

I was referring to C&RT saying they had tried to move it and were then, apparently, taken by surprise that the boat was 'grounded', and now they're going to check it daily in case it moves . . . . perhaps they think it's a submarine. You have to wonder what they'll come up with next . . . . weight (displacement) limits on aqueducts or something similar maybe.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

. . . quote :

We had exactly the same thing from CRT on the Peak Forest some months ago with advice to "pass on the towpath side".

Unfortunately, no-one from CRT had even bothered to dip this side. Although it looks good, submerged rocks made passing impossible. It took a number of call outs for assistance from boaters to CRT before the penny dropped.

George ex nb Alton retired

That's not an area in which I'd want to moor except in an emergency. If it's the boat I think it is, then it's often to be seen around there. I imagine any would-be arsonist would have had plenty of time to plan their attack. It doesn't excuse arson at all, but it does fall upon boaters to use some common sense and protect their own boat.

Is this a wooden cabin boat which is not full length and has a nice looking steel hull.

I'm very sad for the owners, there's too much mindless destruction and lack of respect for the property of others . It will only get worse as the divide between rich and poor widens . There's nobody so dangerous as a person with nothing to lose.

On subject of sunk boats;-

Horton Fields Swingbridge

Notice Details
From Date:
16th December 2014 at 16:30
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Restriction
Reason:
Boat damage
Notice updates:
19/12/2014 @ 17:14

Craft remains in-situ in the navigation; boat owner and CRT are in talks to have the boat removed as soon as possible,

Description:

A craft has sunk in the navigation adjacent to Bridge 131 Horton Fields Swingbridge. Narrow beam boats can pass with caution, wide beam boats will be unable to pass.

An update notice will be issued on the 19th December

Starts At:
Culvert 44 Horton
Ends At:
Culvert 44 Horton

Several weeks gone by no update.

Fat boats no navigation?

Still it us CMers!clapping.gif

[before the abuse I do have a winter permit, just jesting]

On subject of sunk boats;-

Horton Fields Swingbridge

Notice Details
From Date:
16th December 2014 at 16:30
To Date:
until further notice
Type:
Navigation Restriction
Reason:
Boat damage
Notice updates:
19/12/2014 @ 17:14

Craft remains in-situ in the navigation; boat owner and CRT are in talks to have the boat removed as soon as possible,

Description:

A craft has sunk in the navigation adjacent to Bridge 131 Horton Fields Swingbridge. Narrow beam boats can pass with caution, wide beam boats will be unable to pass.

An update notice will be issued on the 19th December

Starts At:
Culvert 44 Horton
Ends At:
Culvert 44 Horton

Several weeks gone by no update.

Fat boats no navigation?

Still it us CMers!clapping.gif

[before the abuse I do have a winter permit, just jesting]

Sorry meant to start new topic.

Early mornings! Pah!!