Old lock keepers cottage in Middlewich

pandajulienne

Featured Posts

I am guessing that you are referring to the lock cottage by Wardle Lock at the start of the Middlewich arm of the Shroppie. Or there is an old cottage a couple of hundred yards North of the Wardle Canal Junction.

I asked because I have to meet with a CRT representative there. I have today found out that there is also a former lock keepers house by the old warehouse just past Andersen hire boats by the water point.

This is the one that I think is the one that they mean.

That's quite likely, it used to be a BW yard, IIRC.

Known to canal people as Joe Lowe's lock. I've never found out when it was 'his' lock.

Tim

Sorry don't know the answer to your question but H.N.B.O.C. newsletter

dated 2011/4 ran a piece on the lowe family with some cracking photos

of boats Apple & Ivy. Ask if the could put you in touch with the member

of the Lowe family who provided the photos you may get your answer that way .

Judging by the wealth of photos which he has taken, the new owner of Wardle's Lock Cottage has big plans for its renovation. He appears to have reduced most of the inside to a heap of rubble but I bet it will be superb when it's finished.

Judging by the wealth of photos which he has taken, the new owner of Wardle's Lock Cottage has big plans for its renovation. He appears to have reduced most of the inside to a heap of rubble but I bet it will be superb when it's finished.

They have had a certain number of problems in complying with the local heritage officer's demands, but are now hopefully on target to be living there in a few months time. They do have links to the L&LC, and may be pushing to have the T&MC locks widened so we can bring Kennet up to Middlewich. rolleyes.gif

They have had a certain number of problems in complying with the local heritage officer's demands, but are now hopefully on target to be living there in a few months time. They do have links to the L&LC, and may be pushing to have the T&MC locks widened so we can bring Kennet up to Middlewich. rolleyes.gif

It's not the locks that need widening, it's just Croxton Tank and a couple of bridge holes that would stop you getting there ;)

Tim

It's not the locks that need widening, it's just Croxton Tank and a couple of bridge holes that would stop you getting there wink.png

Tim

I was thinking about going up the Wardle Branch, which even I know is narrow! I was told about some work being done on Croxton, when an Irish workman complained that they let heavy narrow boats across, but wouldn't let him drive his dumper truck over it.