Gas pipe

Featured Posts

Good to hear...

Just to add some balance to the length debate on qualifications, sometimes professionals with the right bits of paper don't always do the best job: sad.png

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55653

With any flueless or open flue appliance on boats, gas or solid fuel, it's well worth having 2 different CO alarms, one with a digital readout... plus the obligatory smoke alarms of course...

cheers, Pete.

~smpt~

Edited by smileypete

well, you'd hope so really, blowing up a boat is one thing, blowing up a whole street quite a different barrel of herring

There you go again, subverting the innocent into thinking explosion is the main risk.

CO poisoning from gas appliances kills roughly 30 people a year. Hardly anyone gets killed by explosions.

MtB

As I said as the original op of this thread I am sorted now so can we have closure with no more arguing.

Neil

Not really arguing, more like debating (well, with a couple of exceptions). Thing is, stuff often comes out of such debates that helps everyone else - the thread is not just for your benefit. Observe the number of views, vs the number of replies.

Except for me of course, I already know it all so there is nothing to be learnt.

Edited by nicknorman

Neil, it's common for threads where the OPs question has been answered, to continue for many more pages as differing ideas are discussed. I say discussed, because if things escalate to nastiness or constant arguing, mods will step in. Don't let it bother you too much...;-)

Not really arguing, more like debating (well, with a couple of exceptions). Thing is, stuff often comes out of such debates that helps everyone else - the thread is not just for your benefit. Observe the number of views, vs the number of replies.

Except for me of course, I already know it all so there is nothing to be learnt.

I agree. Gas fitting is a bit like flying an aircraft. Once you get the hang of the controls (analogous to fitting the pipes with no leaks), all the rest is just b*ll*cks. yes?

MtB

If we could put a limit in any thread that only one person who believes this is allowed in, then there should never be a problem of course! :lol:

nobody should consider themselves competent. READ and LEARN:

The Satnav - by Pam Ayres

I have a little Satnav,

It sits there in my car

A Satnav is a driver's friend,

it tells you where you are.

I have a little Satnav,

I've had it all my life

It's better than the normal ones,

My Satnav is my wife.

It gives me full instructions,

Especially how to drive

"It's sixty miles an hour", it says,

"You're doing sixty five".

It tells me when to stop and start,

And when to use the brake

And tells me that it's never ever,

Safe to overtake.

It tells me when a light is red,

And when it goes to green

It seems to know instinctively,

Just when to intervene.

It lists the vehicles just in front,

And all those to the rear

And taking this into account,

It specifies my gear.

I'm sure no other driver,

Has so helpful a device

For when we leave and lock the car,

It still gives its advice.

It fills me up with counselling,

Each journey's pretty fraught

So why don't I exchange it,

And get a quieter sort?

Ah well, you see, it cleans the house,

Makes sure I'm properly fed

It washes all my shirts and things,

And keeps me warm in bed!

Despite all these advantages,

And my tendency to scoff,

I only wish that now and then,

I could turn the bugger off.

Edited by Murflynn

Just to counter Alf's assertion that I never help anyone and keep all my cards close to my chest, here's an unsolicited email I received this morning:

Dear Mike

This note is just to say "Thank You".

Our hot water/heating system, which we (actually our plumber) installed when we built our house in 1993, suddenly stopped delivering hot water through the hot tap last Sunday, although the heating continued to operate fine. (The hot water from the taps and, particularly, the shower had been behaving somewhat strangely in recent times, but had been quite adequate up until the hot water suddenly stopped and we got just a few cups full of hot water which then ran cold very quickly).

I found your Website using Google (looked up "Boilermate" and your page came up). I read what you said about the things that can go wrong with Boilermates - ours is an original - and printed-off what you wrote - 2 pages.

My wife was somewhat sceptical and decided to advertise on "Rated People" for someone who could deal with a Boilermate problem. Rated People said they'd got 279 plumbers who were within range and might consider our repair job. After two days - nothing.

Meanwhile my confidence in what you had written and, being a well-practiced DIY man and one who used to own an engineering company, I thought in detail about the problem and decided that one of your " frequently encountered faults" namely a failure of the Blender Valve might well be the cause - so I contacted Gledhill and ordered one. Fortunately - because Gledhill won't deal direct with members of the public, my company still exists, although I rarely use it - I was able to order a replacement Blender Valve - £125 including delivery. The valve came yesterday and, having totally failed to find a plumber who seemed to know what he was talking about when discussing Boilermates, I decided to 'have a go' myself. (My wife and I are both pensioners and don't have unlimited to funds to throw at a problem)

Having worked out what valves I needed to shut in order not to have too big a flood, I managed to unscrew the old Blender Valve (had to visit Screwfix to buy an adjustable spanner big enough to tackle the nuts without making a mess of them with a wrench - £12.99) and replaced the Valve. Got a bit wet, but having covered all the electrics with piles of towels (the cubicle containing the Boilermate is rather constrained in size) I did the job. Put it all back together again. Went to the hot tap..... steaming hot water. Even hotter and flowing more freely than before. Wonderful!

In the process I discovered what a Blender valve actually does. The plumber set the valve at max when he installed it 22 year s ago and I didn't know it existed. So we'd always had water that was far too hot coming out of the taps. Now I've adjusted the temperature of the water coming out of the hot taps so that it is just right. A big bonus. And .... I've won some Browny Points off my wife ... not an easy job believe me!

So, this is a big thank you, Mike.

I much appreciate your generosity of spirit in publishing your experiences with these excellent, but difficult, pieces of kit. You have done much, in doing so, to restore my belief in human nature. Thank you again, very much.

best wishes

Peter

MtB

• Greenie 3

I too recieved a message from a punter.

To Mr Bizzard consultant and MD of ''Bizzards Tonic DIY Remedies Unlimited''. I was reccomended to you Mr Bizzard by a Mrs Fiona Gamble of Bognor who said that your suggestion for fixing her too stiff toilet roll holder worked beautifuly and that she was certain that you'd give me sound and professional advice also, for a small fee, about my dead battery. The diabolical test that you suggested blew my boat to bits.

Thanks a million, Yours Acidly Mrs Mabel Doubtfire. mad.gif

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 2

what a hero.

I hope that all your knowledge about things to look out for when fitting a gas pipe in a boat can also be found on your website.

No, they are not. I don't presume to be able to write it all out. A task without end. You, on the other hand clearly know it all. Why don't YOU do it?

Besides, for completeness I'd have to copy and paste the whole of the rules and regulations which are, I imagine, copyright.

MtB

The number of times i have hit the multiQuote button and then cancelled is unbelievable.

Going back to early post's, pipe sizing is primarily insuring that there is sufficient pressure to all burners in the system when all burners are turned on without spending excess on oversized pipes where not necessary. where the pressure drop is too great two things may result, an inefficient flame producing carbon monoxide, or an extinguished flame leaking gas into the boat. The BSS who are not in the business of installing gas systems cover this by ensuring that with all appliances running, each burner has a proper fllame. The tightness test of course speaks for itself.

It took 62 posts before somebody mentioned "reward". This is crucial. The examiner is working for reward, and removing the screw of a test point is considered to be working on the system. Working on gas systems in residential or commercial properties if done for reward requires GSIUR certification. The Registered gas fitter is also insured for the work he is qualified to do, so, get a registered fitter to do the job and your widow gets to be comfortably of, getfriend to do the job on the cheap your widow ends up with nowt!

PSS non GSIUR registered examiners ARE insured for all examination work including manometer testing on private boats.

There you go again, subverting the innocent into thinking explosion is the main risk.

CO poisoning from gas appliances kills roughly 30 people a year. Hardly anyone gets killed by explosions.

MtB

From cookers

well, you'd hope so really, blowing up a boat is one thing, blowing up a whole street quite a different barrel of herring

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-18078303