One Hell Of A Stoppage - Grand Union - Bridge 84 - Milton Keynes 7th january to 13th March

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We have just found any plans to move boats for several months likely to be thwarted by this stoppage.

Does anybody know more detail, as by any measure over 9 weeks for such a stoppage seems excessive, unless they allow navigation at some points during the works.

And yes, I am trying to contact the waterways office for the region, but it seems they are not contactable until the New Year, by which time the stoppage is within days of starting anyway.

Bridge 84, Milton Keynes, Grand Union CanalNotice Details
From Date:
7th January 2015 at 08:00
To Date:
13th March 2015 at 18:00 inclusive
Type:
Navigation Closure
Reason:
(Re)Construction
Is Towpath Closed?
Yes
Notice updates:
10/12/2014 @ 09:34

Please be aware that the stoppage dates have been amended to commence from 19th January to 13th March 2015.

Description:

Repairs to stabilise the bridge which is known to be moving.

We believe a stoppage is required for these works but are currently investigating the delivery methods with our contractor.

The towpath will be closed during the works. A towpath diversion will be in place and more details will be provided when finalised.

Alan - I understand Jules and Richard have moved Bideford and either Towcester or Southern Cross to be south of the stoppage to enable continuation of their services with the other motor staying north of the stoppage again to continue to serve their customers.

Edited by Leo No2

Alan - I understand Jules and Richard have moved Bideford and either Towcester or Southern Cross to be south of the stoppage to enable continuation of her services with the other motor staying north of the stoppage again to continue to serve their customers.

Thanks,

Sadly, I have just tried ringing CRT, who were less use than a chocolate teapot!

It does read, last few lines, that there might be room for navigation occasionally but this has not been finalised with contractor.

So pleasing to read of Jules, unusual to find any customer service in this country.

Not much use though, if stoppage start on 7th January, (start of), and absolutely nobody has yet made that decision, and local offices completely closed down until 5th January.

It seems a bit odd if they are unable to come to a decision about whether it is a full closure until 2 days before it starts, (assuming anybody will be able to tell you then).

Agree though about Jules - not the first time she has positioned boats both South and North of a long stoppage to keep supplies flowing.

I'm looking forward to all the posts of support for CRT from those folk who think they don't do enough maintenance

Richard

Yebbut.....

Do they really need a total closure in excess of 9 weeks to stabilise a bridge?

And, even if that can really be justified from a civil engineering viewpoint, will there really be no point in that 9 weeks where they can let people through in a controlled manner?

Even if there are good reasons why they can't allow passage for 9 weeks, surely they could have updated the stoppage by now to say that? It appears that it will only imply "we are assuming this to be the case" right up to two days before the scheduled start. I can't believe they don't by now have some better idea.

" Please be aware that the stoppage dates have been amended to commence from 19th January to 13th March 2015"

If one reads it more carefully? So 4 weeks?

Confused

Yes, I agree it says that - just that it apparently hasn't been!

Not sure where 4 weeks comes into it though - that would still be in excess of 7, surely?

It's in a bit of a state, so needs doing. They had a go at it in the summer, to stabilise it a little I think. I just hope this time, they remove the rubble from the canal bed when they finish.

Yes,

It's one of the more worrying ones.....

3682287_3830f29a.jpg

Copyright Nigel Cox and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.

I think some of the recent "repairs" used either Wrigley's Gum or BluTack!

That said, even on a 3 foot draft, it is not one we usually ground in - In my recent experience there is far more rubble in some of the ones a few down from Stoke Bruerne.

EDIT:

To acknowledge you may not be suggesting there is a lot of rubble in there yet - perhaps only that there may be by the time they finish!

As (miraculously!) nothing major has fallen in yet, it might explain why it is not as bad as those that have lost a parapet into the cut, and had some of it left there!

Edited by alan_fincher

We have just found any plans to move boats for several months likely to be thwarted by this stoppage.

Does anybody know more detail, as by any measure over 9 weeks for such a stoppage seems excessive, unless they allow navigation at some points during the works.

Alan, you should try moving to the fens, where this sort of thing is common-place. Ely and Cambridge are cut-off from the rest of the system from 5th January to 27th March this year, but at least that was announced with plenty of warning. The EA announced closures of three Nene locks from 9th February to 22nd March in mid December.

MP.

Yes,

It's one of the more worrying ones.....3682287_3830f29a.jpg

I think some of the recent "repairs" used either Wrigley's Gum or BluTack!

That said, even on a 3 foot draft, it is not one we usually ground in - In my recent experience there is far more rubble in some of the ones a few down from Stoke Bruerne.

EDIT:

To acknowledge you may not be suggesting there is a lot of rubble in there yet - perhaps only that there may be by the time they finish!

As (miraculously!) nothing major has fallen in yet, it might explain why it is not as bad as those that have lost a parapet into the cut, and had some of it left there!

Yes, the one where the innards fell in mid summer. They didn't clear it, and we hopped over, rather than went under.

I can't see what is to complain about. The stoppage was confirmed back in October and then last month they reduced the length of time by 2 weeks. You don't really expect them to remove all the scaffolding to allow a handfull of boats through and rebuild it again afterwards, do you? Most of us know that CRT shut down until the 5 the so on this occasion I won't be criticising them.

The bridge stoppage that kept us in Salthouse Dock last winter was 11 weeks and that was only to repair the wing walls.

Oh fiddle sticks, that puts a real kink in our winter cruising plans. When this closure was first announce way back when, it was only the tow path that was going to be fully closed and "some slight restriction" to navigation as in, giving the contractors time to move out of the way on occasion.

Funny enough, I still haven't received a notice for the new full closure details??

When did you pick up the notification Alan if you don't mind me asking?

Ta

B~

ETA - don't get me wrong, not complaining at all about CRT doing repairs, just a little miffed I didn't receive the an updated notice and we'll just re-gig our cruising plans, no problem for us.

Edited by Bettie Boo

Leighton lock has a stoppage 12-28 January. Perhaps if CRT had got the contractors to do the MK bridge 12Jan while CRT did Leighton then the through navigation would have been 2 weeks less.

Possibly reasons why this is not possible. Anyway as others have said the stoppage has been published for some time. I want to pass through these stoppages and as I am unable to get through before they start then it`s just a case of a very slow journey north hitting MK when all is open again, no big deal.

Oh fiddle sticks, that puts a real kink in our winter cruising plans. When this closure was first announce way back when, it was only the tow path that was going to be fully closed and "some slight restriction" to navigation as in, giving the contractors time to move out of the way on occasion.

Funny enough, I still haven't received a notice for the new full closure details??

When did you pick up the notification Alan if you don't mind me asking?

Ta

B~

Not sure of your plans BB but could you not get through both in the next couple of weeks?

The notification system of e mail for stoppages works well but it is also best to check the CRT site if it`s important for your journey.

Best of luck in re planning your cruise.

I can't see what is to complain about. The stoppage was confirmed back in October and then last month they reduced the length of time by 2 weeks.

Well if that is actually what has happened, then I suggest they have cocked up in the way they have made any amendments, because the actual times on the stoppage itself remain unaltered as starting from the 7th, not the 19th.

In my experience, in the past, when they change a stoppage details, then they update the main information with the new details - that has not happened here, and to anybody reading it, it is just as possible that the appended comment, (which incidentally is not as long ago as "last month") could be wrong, or now superseded, as the main details on the notice.

It seems to be a retrograde move from the way it used to work, where you first got presented with the current situation, but if you wanted to could also scroll back through the more historic ones.

How is anybody supposed to be totally confident from the way it now treads that it will start on the 19th, not the 7th - after all CRT don't seem to be able to confirm that if you ring them up to ask!

You don't really expect them to remove all the scaffolding to allow a handfull of boats through and rebuild it again afterwards, do you?

Well as the notice still says....

We believe a stoppage is required for these works but are currently investigating the delivery methods with our contractor.

do you have the definite knowledge that whatever is required will involve a scaffold blocking the canal for the duration. Perhaps if you can confirm that to CRT, then they can update their notice accordingly.

Edited by alan_fincher

Not sure of your plans BB but could you not get through both in the next couple of weeks?

The notification system of e mail for stoppages works well but it is also best to check the CRT site if it`s important for your journey.

Best of luck in re planning your cruise.

Thanks for that, it's not really a "major" issue for us; we had planned on getting past the Leighton Buzz closure just before it happened and then spending the remainder of Jan and all of Feb slowly making our way up to Great Linford, then March would have taken us to the top of the Braunston flight. Not to worry, we'll have a rethink :)

Yes I like the email notification system CRT has in place, works well for us and our needs. And I do normally check the actual stoppages page every couple of weeks. Not sure how I either missed this or misunderstood it.

I was sure it was just the tow path that was going to be closed and not the navigation itself. Oh well :)

Yes,

It's one of the more worrying ones.....

3682287_3830f29a.jpg

I

Need a closer look to give a firm opinion, but that is heading for a shear failure on the left hand side of the arch. the foundation on that side has either dropped or moved outwards, which may indicate another shear failure where abutment meets the invert. That in turn may indicate trouble with the invert.

Given enough budget I'd take the entire thing down and rebuild it - my guess is there isn't enough budget for that.

Not only will the basic movement need to be stabilised, but where the shearing has started in needs to be secured - the movement of the arch could gather a momentum all of it's own once it's started!

9 weeks seems a bit excessive, but not totally OTT to be honest

edited to add - parapets are not usually structural: a structural failure may make them fall off but they can manage this without such assistance if leant on hard enough, equally they occasionally stay put after a bridge has disappeared from beneath them.

Edited by magpie patrick