Who's frozen in then?

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

smiley_offtopic.gif Wow how cool is the pump out boat, Very convenient when not wanting to cruise (do the locks really) with the ice - and actually cheaper than some of the marina's & boat yards!! Warren is lovely :)

Frozen in again today - but weather report is calling for warmer temps overnight and tomorrow :)

Was in ice-free water this morning so set of through Loughborough and went through some thin ice but am now stuck by the moorings above Bishops Meadow lock in ice about 2'' thick. Got shouted at by a irate moorer. Thanks Chazza for helping me out.

Happy new year everybody

We set off from Fazeley at about 2pm, still some ice but all broken up by preceding boats. We haven't been shouted at, but what is it with people who object to others boating (in ice)? If they are that prissy about their boat they should keep it in a marina, rather than demanding that everyone else park up just because they have parked up. The arrogance!

Thanks for breaking up the ice this morning bastion! It had refrozen in places by the time we went...made it to Barrow though! There's some good thick bits....and frozen above Barrow deep too...ice in the lock even!

Glad to be of assistance.

We set off from Fazeley at about 2pm, still some ice but all broken up by preceding boats. We haven't been shouted at, but what is it with people who object to others boating (in ice)? If they are that prissy about their boat they should keep it in a marina, rather than demanding that everyone else park up just because they have parked up. The arrogance!

Yes

Watch out if you pass any plastic boats or corroded metal boats.

Would be an interesting claim if you sink them for who would be in the wrong ?

Plastic boats are stronger than you think. Corroded metal boats are un"seaworthy" and shouldn't be on the canals when it's icy. Since there is a long tradition of ice breaking, boats should be fit for purpose. Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

I'm not sure that GRP cruisers suffer 'no' damage with ice shards being ground against them. The surface Gelcoat isn't very proof against gouges and scratches and it can be an expensive repair. Does that mean that GRP cruisers are not fit for purpose, and should be removed from t'cut?

I agree about rusty metal hulls though.

Plastic boats are stronger than you think. Corroded metal boats are un"seaworthy" and shouldn't be on the canals when it's icy. Since there is a long tradition of ice breaking, boats should be fit for purpose.

I'm not sure that GRP cruisers suffer 'no' damage with ice shards being ground against them. The surface Gelcoat isn't very proof against gouges and scratches and it can be an expensive repair. Does that mean that GRP cruisers are not fit for purpose, and should be removed from t'cut?

In previous years we have crunched our way through ice in nc to get out of and also back into the marina when we have been caught out whilst out and about.

Sum damage. Some scuffed antifoul paint.

They don't disintegrate if you touch them with ice.

If a grp cruiser can't be moored on the towpath in ice without being damaged, then yes the owner should move it elsewhere such as a marina or onto dry land. You are implying that it's OK for someone to plonk a boat in the cut and then demand that nobody passes it. This is effectively blocking the navigation, which is contrary to the bylaws.

If a grp cruiser can't be moored on the towpath in ice without being damaged, then yes the owner should move it elsewhere such as a marina or onto dry land. You are implying that it's OK for someone to plonk a boat in the cut and then demand that nobody passes it. This is effectively blocking the navigation, which is contrary to the bylaws.

I wasn't implying anything. I was simply saying I was 'not sure about' GRP and gelcoat damage. NC says it doesn't, and my GRP hull never went through ice so I can't argue.

But if broken ice DID cause damage, then yes, you need to move your boat to somewhere safe. But it's still fit for purpose. I don't know of anyone who has demanded that you don't pass.

I wasn't implying anything. I was simply saying I was 'not sure about' GRP and gelcoat damage. NC says it doesn't, and my GRP hull never went through ice so I can't argue.

But if broken ice DID cause damage, then yes, you need to move your boat to somewhere safe. But it's still fit for purpose. I don't know of anyone who has demanded that you don't pass.

It would be fit for purpose to be on the canals when there was no ice, but unfit for purpose when there was ice. Presumably the folk shouting at the ice-breakers were attempting to stop them passing, or at least complaining vociferously when they did (ie when they did conduct themselves in an entirely legal and reasonable way).

Ice-breakers spring to mind, when discussing boats that are 'fit for purpose' in ice. I don't know of many other boats designed to operate in ice, so I'd say that no 'normal' boat is really fit for purpose in ice. Some will cope better than others. But they're all fit for purpose to operate in water, which is their purpose.

We came out of Calcutt Marina at about 3:00 this afternoon, and headed to Stockton, but after about half a mile I decided that the ice was getting a bit thick, perhaps an inch or so. So we stopped and shelved plans for a few drinks in the Boat Inn. Plan is to head for Braunston tomorrow which as there have been boats moving Napton to Brainston today, and the fact it is not as cold tonight, I hope we will be ok. So it's a quiet New Years eve just the 2 of us, not what we had planned!

W e came out off the lock at Sprotborough and hit ice 1 inch thick we were mooring there but still had to push through a 300 yards of the stuff before we moored.

Barometer has moved to change so expect ice to be gone tomorrow on the way back to Rotherham had no complaints yet from other boaters

Peter

Hi, On Monday we left the meadows marina at Calcutt around midday to head for Braunston as no ice was evident until we went through the bridge into the locks marina and hit around half inch of ice all the way to the locks, we decided to proceed as the hull is due a reblacking soon.

The weather was great and the going was reasonable until we lost the sun just before the puddlebanks section into Braunston. We winded at Braunston Marina and moored by the Marstons pub/restaurant (not too impressed by the food but the service was excellent).

We headed back for Calcutt the next day around 10.30AM and were pleased to see that we had been beaten to it as the ice was double thick as the previous day in places and some one must have had quite a smashing time as I could let our boat steer itself in many places, especially the puddlebanks section. It was a beautiful day again and I do not think I have seen so many sparrowhawks and buzzards hunting their prey ever and to cap it all, when berthing back at Calcutt we saw a red Kite fly by.

Despite the ice trying its best to eat the hull, it was one of the best couple of days boating we have had in 2014.

We wish everyone on the forum a happy and prosperous boating new year.