Hackney CMers want to have a "CC Licence" and to remain in one place.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

On what do you base this assumption? Pure prejudice?

They said in the Hackney paper 'Affordable' that london boater talk for cheap and don't forget if the council ratify this idea there will be council tax to pay. Somehow I don't think that is part of the plan.

As Lady Muck has already said, any saving will be in return for the upkeep of the moorings. I am more than concerned at the weight of negativity aimed towards people who are trying to be a part of a solution.

Dave may have taken a dislike to Panda/Pamela but having lived in a shared house with her years ago and spoken at length with her on all sorts of things I have nothing but respect for her integrity.

All of this nonsense boils down to an inbuilt intolerance to anything or anyone different. Ultimately it will be this attitude that plays right into the hands of those that would sooner concrete over the cut.

Edited by Wanted
  • Greenie 4

Sorwar has now responded to the original newspaper article. Looks like a big misunderstanding to me, sounds as if - unknown to the boaters mooring there and wanting to create community moorings there - that another group has already prepared a proposal some time ago and CRT is working with them already.

As for affordable - I pay about £3k a year and that's affordable to me. I wouldn't call it cheap. These moorings will probably be a similar price or slightly more. But if it gets to the point we have to pay £12k a year on the Lee, I don't think many of us wll be able to afford it. I don't see how this makes us bad people, trying to get away with not paying.

London is becoming unaffordable for ordinary people isn't it?

As for affordable - I pay about £3k a year and that's affordable to me. I wouldn't call it cheap.

Personally I'd call that very cheap when you have residential moorings 'up-North' at

Ripon £4000/£5000

Sawley £3350

Newark £3799

Hull £319 per metre (15 metre boat £4785)

Chorley £4000

If she has introduced herself as Panda Smith to Mayalld I shall apologise.

...at the very least it would be less ambiguous and polite to use the name in the article.

I think we can both agree he is not welcoming her contribution.

She has not introduced herself to me by any name.

However, this is the only occasion upon which I have ever seen her quoted by her given name, and it seems appropriate when referring to her to use the name by which she is generally known.

Sorwar has now responded to the original newspaper article. Looks like a big misunderstanding to me, sounds as if - unknown to the boaters mooring there and wanting to create community moorings there - that another group has already prepared a proposal some time ago and CRT is working with them already.

As for affordable - I pay about £3k a year and that's affordable to me. I wouldn't call it cheap. These moorings will probably be a similar price or slightly more. But if it gets to the point we have to pay £12k a year on the Lee, I don't think many of us wll be able to afford it. I don't see how this makes us bad people, trying to get away with not paying.

London is becoming unaffordable for ordinary people isn't it?

If you need subsidised housing council lists are available to join :) I know this winds people up but cheap moorings can be had in kent too.

People living in flats who are priced out move away ;)

Why is it that the cut should be any different to the land - economics of supply and demand. How much is it to rent a flat in Clapton ;)

No resistance to change but my view is if you don't want the cut being filled in CRT need to maximise their income from moorings. the cut is full of people going for the cheap option which is in effect a parasite situation.

OK so the council could make available 'affordable' moorings but how would the list work. Would someone with a £75k barge be more "in need" than someone with a £8k narrow boat?

Surely there would have to be some sort of priority system.

Just some thoughts

I definitely agree with more moorings so please don.t make assumptions that I am anti.

Just thoughts

I do know that. However

Think it through further ;)

One of the criteria for accessing state schooling is an address where council tax is paid.

Irrelevant where it goes but it does need paying if you are seeking a school place using an address with a postcode.

see what I mean ?

:)

Edited by magnetman

As Lady Muck has already said, any saving will be in return for the upkeep of the moorings. I am more than concerned at the weight of negativity aimed towards people who are trying to be a part of a solution.

Dave may have taken a dislike to Panda/Pamela but having lived in a shared house with her years ago and spoken at length with her on all sorts of things I have nothing but respect for her integrity.

All of this nonsense boils down to an inbuilt intolerance to anything or anyone different. Ultimately it will be this attitude that plays right into the hands of those that would sooner concrete over the cut.

I recently sold a property to a housing co-op, students I believe. They raised the money via a phone co-op and now, rather than renting rooms in a house and making me money they're enjoying a reduced rent but as a result have a set of responsibilities. All power to them. The same goes to these people trying to get a community mooring off the ground.

Most of my properties are in the Stafford area and I've got tenants who are struggling. None of them fit the descriptions of lazy media stereotypes. I've got one lad who's suffering severe mental distress over his situation. That I know of. I'm seeing this far from the pressure cooker of London prices.

I'm less than convinced that boat living is the answer to people's housing problems but I am absolutely certain that when people are attempting to fix their situation by doing something to make their lives better what they need is help. Not shooting down.

• Greenie 4

Hope this sort of co-operative comes off after all its no different to Boat clubs.

Boat clubs are looked on favourably difference being these are live aboard boat clubs.

If this comes to fruition then they will have a postcode .

smiley_offtopic.gif Surely any boater live aboard in a fixed online or offside mooring should be entitled to have a post code address identifier could be Boat name and description of location e.g

N.B. Static

Stagnant canal

north of bridge 21

off canal street

PO1 4FS

I recently sold a property to a housing co-op, students I believe. They raised the money via a phone co-op and now, rather than renting rooms in a house and making me money they're enjoying a reduced rent but as a result have a set of responsibilities. All power to them. The same goes to these people trying to get a community mooring off the ground.

Most of my properties are in the Stafford area and I've got tenants who are struggling. None of them fit the descriptions of lazy media stereotypes. I've got one lad who's suffering severe mental distress over his situation. That I know of. I'm seeing this far from the pressure cooker of London prices.

I'm less than convinced that boat living is the answer to people's housing problems but I am absolutely certain that when people are attempting to fix their situation by doing something to make their lives better what they need is help. Not shooting down.

Exactly, all it takes is to think slightly differently to find solutions.

Hope this sort of co-operative comes off after all its no different to Boat clubs.

Boat clubs are looked on favourably difference being these are live aboard boat clubs.

If this comes to fruition then they will have a postcode .

smiley_offtopic.gif Surely any boater live aboard in a fixed online or offside mooring should be entitled to have a post code address identifier could be Boat name and description of location e.g

N.B. Static

Stagnant canal

north of bridge 21

off canal street

PO1 4FS

Although my circs have changed, when I got married we had to use the canal and the two locks we were between as our address. Seem to have worked!

As Lady Muck has already said, any saving will be in return for the upkeep of the moorings.

Just to add a note of fact to the debate the insurance company for our boat club recently asked us to work out the value of the voluntary work our members do to upkeep the club, we would easilly have to double or treble the cost of our moorings if we did nothing ourselves but paid someone to do it all (collect fees, general maintenance, mow grass, admin), and paid a contractor to put in mooring staging electric etc rather than selfbuild. Self organised groups are definitely the way to go, but sadly there are very few viable sites and not only do you need a site but to get a group of people together with sufficient skills to organise something like this, sympathetic landowner, planing permission etc, then arrange finance from this country's renowned banking system. (oh and get CRT to agree!) Thats why so few get off the ground.

Huge greenie for that.

Although my circs have changed, when I got married we had to use the canal and the two locks we were between as our address. Seem to have worked!

When my wife and I got married our address for the registrar was MV Sabina 'H' Benfleet Creek, Benfleet

Or to clarify for people trying to muddy the whole thing by making out there's two licences.

For your clarification, there is one pleasure boat licence. Fact.

Perhaps you should have a houseboat certificate?

That is very true the licence for pleasure and CC cost the same and give exactly the same access to the system. However if you look at the licence there is a BW number (not the boat reg number) it says something like BW-065-007 '007' that says CCer!

Edited by Maffi

I can't give you a greenie for that as I have run out but that's a good post.

That is very true the licence for pleasure and CC cost the same and give exactly the same access to the system. However if you look at the licence there is a BW number (not the boat reg number) it says something like BW-065-007 '007' that says CCer!

it also says home mooring on non-CRT waters!

( why are we shouting? ) !

possibly more importantly, the declaration is made for the issue of the licence and says nothing about how the boat is used once licenced. the salient point being that the reporting is journalistic nonsense in that 'retaining a CC licence' would convey no privilege in any case.

so the information serves no purpose other than appealing to prejudice. this thread shows it to be successful.

it also says home mooring on non-CRT waters!

( why are we shouting? ) !

possibly more importantly, the declaration is made for the issue of the licence and says nothing about how the boat is used once licenced. the salient point being that the reporting is journalistic nonsense in that 'retaining a CC licence' would convey no privilege in any case.

so the information serves no purpose other than appealing to prejudice. this thread shows it to be successful.

But once these people on boats, that have registered as having no home mooring - and hence have a 'boat with no home mooring licence' - do get a mooring they are, as part of the conditions of said licence, obliged to inform C&RT that they are no longer " a boat with no home mooring" and their licence will be issued as a "boat with a home mooring"

(It really is much easier just to say CC licence)

At which time they become 'residents' of that Borough and become subject to whatever 'rules' the Borough want to apply to them - maybe - planning permission, council tax etc ?

The positive side for them is that they will no longer be subject to C&RT enforcement, or the '14 day rule'