SR2 in a 45' NB

Featured Posts

I will be looking at a 45' narrowboat this weekend that is fitted with an SR2.

Despite the noise, I really like these engines, love the simplicity and they just sort of look right.

I have had an SR3 in a previous boat which was great, but would there be enough power in the two cylinder to push a 45 footer around on a river?

How long is its swim? ..... How big is the fan attached to it? ....... Is the nose blunt? ....... How big is the rudder and is it well counter balanced? .... Is the uxter plate dished?

They can all affect the handling more than the number of ponies.

The first boat we hired was from Planet craft (or was it Planet fleet) near spaghetti junction in 19xx. It had an SR2, noisy, smokey and drove like a dog.

I've just bought a 7Kw generator powered by a SR2 rated at 10HP at 1500 rpm. That's not a lot of welly.

You have to be careful reading those numbers. Cars tend to publish figures that are the maximum, flat out, screaming it's nuts off figure. Marine engines are the figure that the engine will run at for hours and hours on end. SR2 engines were designed for marine applications, like lobster boats, lifeboats and other coastal craft

Richard

A friend of mine has a SR2 in their 40' Hancock & Lane. It pushes it along very nicely. Not sure about on a river against the flow, but to my inexperience mind, I would have thought if the river is not too strong in flow it should do okay.

The boat you linked to, for the money looks good and has good potential. I just looked through the piccys and each one I could see where there is easy,inexpensive improvements to be made.

Good luck with your viewing. I'm sure you are, but be aware of their trading habits.

Martyn

An SR2 is quite adequate for a boat of that size on canal or river.

Some years ago I had to move an old FM&C horseboat (butty) from Nottingham up to Shardlow and the only boat available to do the job was a wooden 40' ex Hire boat with an SL2, forerunner of the SR and a horsepower or so less. It was a little slow on the river but pushing, rather than towing, the job was about 11-12 hours for 12-13 miles and 4 locks( loosing off and setting up the push tow at each one) .

Given the fact that most people who look at the boat are likely to be put off by the Lister because they'll think it's underpowered, I'd use it to haggle the price down more.

Edited by Tony Dunkley

Given the fact that most people who look at the boat are likely to be put off by the Lister because they'll think it's underpowered, I'd use it to haggle the price down more.

My thoughts exactly.

Seems the general opinion is good then. I thought so, but had a moment of doubt thinking of only 13hp when most modern boats are 30-40hp. Like RLWP says, Its not all about the figures is it?

A friend of mine had an SR2 in a 45ft Les Allen narrow boat from about 1990 (boat year, engine was probably mid seventies). They swim well with a nice underwater shape. it was used on the Thames. I remember having a chat on the phone and he was hammering up the river. It was terribly noisy and that was in a forward engine room ! Enough power for ordinary use but didn't really have any 'reserve' power so I would suggest an SR2 is a bit under for a 45 footer, I think an ST2 or a 3 would be better.

For canal and slow river work its fine but in the event that you need the reserve power for some reason it just won't have the go in it.

Edited by magnetman

Its this one. On sale at everyone's favorite marina!

Bit over priced but it ticks most of the boxes so might be worth a punt if its not too rotten.

http://www.whiltonmarina.co.uk/used-narrowboats/details/3069.aspx

Athy, I like the sound, but many dont.

6/5/3 steelwork from 1987 ? It may not be rusty, then again...

Agree it may be overpriced.

6/5/3 steelwork from 1987 ? It may not be rusty, then again...

Standard for less expensive boats at that time. Our first boat, built 1989, had exactly that steel spec (and a comparable engine, a Petter PH2).

Edited by Athy

A friend of mine had an SR2 in a 45ft Les Allen narrow boat from about 1990 (boat year, engine was probably mid seventies). They swim well with a nice underwater shape. it was used on the Thames. I remember having a chat on the phone and he was hammering up the river. It was terribly noisy and that was in a forward engine room ! Enough power for ordinary use but didn't really have any 'reserve' power so I would suggest an SR2 is a bit under for a 45 footer, I think an ST2 or a 3 would be better.

For canal and slow river work its fine but in the event that you need the reserve power for some reason it just won't have the go in it.

There are a lot of boats with far more powerful engines that don't really have that 'reserve' power either, because they've got skin tanks that aren't big enough for continuous highspeed running and they overheat if you try it, so the extra power you might think you've got is actually just a potentially dangerous illusion that you may only find out about at the worst possible time. If that old Lister is in reasonable nick, then it'll run flat out for as long as you'll ever need it to.

Good point but I would assume that the skin tank calculations were carried out correctly when the boat was built but thats probably wishful thinking.

Definitely agree you can hammer the SR2 till you can fry your breakfast on it and it won't stop, although I did manage to seize an SR2 I had many years ago but that was due to oil thinning from diesel dilution. it ran fine afterwards. indestructible yes.

But the SR3 is a bit longer - a lot of boats have the engine quite close to a steel bulkhead so a 3 might not fit in.

Would be a nice alternative if it was doable though, the SR3 is definitely the one I'd prefer in 45ft.

An ST2 would be almost a straight swap with an SR2 and the power is more or less the same as an SR3. 19-20hp,

Yes, mebe - but you'd have to run the ST2 a lot faster to get more power ?? 2,500 rpm (too idle to look up the power curve.

At 12-1500 rpm these engines are bearable. At 2,000 plus I don't think so.

Yes, mebe - but you'd have to run the ST2 a lot faster to get more power ?? 2,500 rpm (too idle to look up the power curve.

At 12-1500 rpm these engines are bearable. At 2,000 plus I don't think so.

Agreed if you want the full power continuously. But at cruising revs of say 1500rpm for both engines the ST will deliver quite a bit more power for it simply has larger cylinder capacity 77.3 c.in compared with the SR's 67.3 c.in. They are generally noisier though, Lady Olga has one and cruises along happily at 1000 rpm.

Had a look this weekend. Seems to be a pretty sweet engine. Fired up no probs, and it was flippin cold out there. Oil looked clean and no sign of blue/black smoke when I gave it a bit of stick (full ahead to full astern with no compromise etc)

Considering making an offer.