Tunnel light - why white?

SiFi

Featured Posts

Now that other colours are available would it not be better if it was say orange like a street light or maybe blueish? I'm thinking of the occasions when I can't make out whether its a boat coming or the daylight at the other end!

We were talking about this the other day and thought it would be a good idea if wide beams had an orange light so you know what is coming the other way.

???

If a wide beam is going through a tunnel, don't they have to advise CRT and get the traffic stopped?

If I met a wide beam in a tunnel with no entry control I know who'd be backing up ;)

I was thinking about long one-way at a time tunnels where even with binoculars I have struggled to work out whether there is another boat entering. Nobody wants to meet a convoy coming the other way!

Orange is good for tunneling

The lights are white / shades of white 'cos that's the colour that is most efficient for the type of bulb that folks use.

(Boring)

Some folks may use a bluish car headlamp bulb which is said to give a better, stronger light.

If boaters (who have them) switch on their navigation lights (who has nav: lghts, I wonder??) then if it's a boat (rather than sunlight) coming you'd see the Red and Green colours as well.

>> I'm thinking of the occasions when I can't make out whether its a boat coming or the daylight at the other end! <<

I imagine that sooner or later, with a little patience, you found out which it was every time!

>> If boaters (who have them) switch on their navigation lights (who has nav: lghts, I wonder??) <<

I have them -- they come on with the tunnel light, so I have no choice about whether to use them.

Can you really tell the colour at a distance, or at least distinguish it from daylight?

The Irish Canals used a red light for night-time navigation during "the emergency " (WW2) - it is thought to have contributed to some fatalities because people couldn't see properly.

Personally I find blue lights on cars dazzling, but that might just be me

It's the stern white light that, at a distance, can be confusing because some of them are so bright. Especially in a long tunnel (e.g. Blisworth) it can take a little time to work out if the boat in front is heading your way or not. It should be obvious if your tunnel light is pointed up and slightly to the right.

Nav lights are required if you use your boat on the tidal Thames.

Can you really tell the colour at a distance, or at least distinguish it from daylight?

The Irish Canals used a red light for night-time navigation during "the emergency " (WW2) - it is thought to have contributed to some fatalities because people couldn't see properly.

Personally I find blue lights on cars dazzling, but that might just be me

It's an age thing, apparently.

Good point, a white light at the far end of a long smoky tunnel will appear yellow.

Tim

Edited by Timleech

The lights are white / shades of white 'cos that's the colour that is most efficient for the type of bulb that folks use.

(Boring)

Some folks may use a bluish car headlamp bulb which is said to give a better, stronger light.

If boaters (who have them) switch on their navigation lights (who has nav: lghts, I wonder??) then if it's a boat (rather than sunlight) coming you'd see the Red and Green colours as well.

Very good point.

Met a cruiser coming through Braunston tunnel a few weeks ago and it was very obvious from a long way off that this was a boat heading our way. (green - white - red lights)

I think the regs do stipulate a white light but there's no mention in the boaters handbook that I can see.

Incidentally I had a "discussion" with another boater a while back about displaying lights in short tunnels. I forget where it was but I was quite certain in my mind that if the tunnel is less than 1/4 mile long you don't need to display a light. As we have one of those lights on a pole that isn't permanently fixed I don't always bother if the tunnel is short, and this was the point of dispute.

Apart from any practical reasons, though I haven't checked the wording I think you'll find that the byelaws require a white light.

Tim

Note that the byelaws require a white marker light, not a theatre spotlight aimed point blank down the tunnel. I'm considering my tunnel lights at the moment and thinking about general illumination front and rear to show me where the walls are, and a low powered front marker. I would find that more useful, and it would be kinder to other users

Richard

I don't always bother if the tunnel is short, and this was the point of dispute.

It depends what sort of boater you are. The boards at the end of the tunnel will tell you to put the light on, along with stuff about naked lights, canoes and mythical transit times. If I can barely distinguish the tunnel from a bridge at a distance (Newbold or Gnosall for instance) I often throw caution to the wind and leave the light off

Richard

I found that my navigation lights alone were adequate for illumination in tunnels (The mast normally leans back for clearance and so the masthead light shines more upwards onto the tunnel roof) The port and starboard lights showed the walls quite clearly.

When using the floodlight I found that the glare reduced the amount I could see.

It's the stern white light that, at a distance, can be confusing because some of them are so bright. Especially in a long tunnel (e.g. Blisworth) it can take a little time to work out if the boat in front is heading your way or not. It should be obvious if your tunnel light is pointed up and slightly to the right.

Does it matter, if it, there is room to pass when you meet

Incidentally I had a "discussion" with another boater a while back about displaying lights in short tunnels. I forget where it was but I was quite certain in my mind that if the tunnel is less than 1/4 mile long you don't need to display a light. As we have one of those lights on a pole that isn't permanently fixed I don't always bother if the tunnel is short, and this was the point of dispute.

I think you're right about some sort of minimum tunnel length for a light to be required, I've seen it quite recently.

Tim

Nav lights are required on all of the Thames (tidal and non tidal) if you use your boat after dusk. I don't believe there's a requirement if you travel during daylight or most narrowboats would comply

Note that the byelaws require a white marker light, not a theatre spotlight aimed point blank down the tunnel. I'm considering my tunnel lights at the moment and thinking about general illumination front and rear to show me where the walls are, and a low powered front marker. I would find that more useful, and it would be kinder to other users

Richard

It depends what sort of boater you are. The boards at the end of the tunnel will tell you to put the light on, along with stuff about naked lights, canoes and mythical transit times. If I can barely distinguish the tunnel from a bridge at a distance (Newbold or Gnosall for instance) I often throw caution to the wind and leave the light off

Richard

I did that at Froghall, big mistake, it was black as night and I scuffed the handrail. Put it on coming back.