Kitchen sink in a drawer

magnetman

Featured Posts

Do they do them?

I am working on making the kitchen/galley on the barge more efficient in terms of space usage and I suddenly thought maybe a sink in the top drawer of a kitchen unit might be useful because it could be opened and closed and the worktop above it is still useable. Proper space saving.

Are there any about anywhere? Maybe the caravans have them but I haven't seen many caravans or motorhomes. How would the waste be arranged, some sort of vacuum cleaner hose arrangement which is movable seems the best option as long as it had space behind. and the tap would be a bit technical I suppose as well.

Is it asking for trouble

I am determined to try it :rolleyes:

folding taps. Thats good.

I suppose a recessed butler sink with a lid over it, yes, but there is the extra reasoning which is that it wants to double as a place where small children can wash their hands so it wants to be lower down than a normal worktop height while still having a standard worktop as well

If you see what I mean :)

But not so low down that it is awkward for cleaning the occasional tea cup.

I am going to be fitting a mini dishwasher so the existing large sink can be downsized

Do they do them?

I am working on making the kitchen/galley on the barge more efficient in terms of space usage and I suddenly thought maybe a sink in the top drawer of a kitchen unit might be useful because it could be opened and closed and the worktop above it is still useable. Proper space saving.

Are there any about anywhere? Maybe the caravans have them but I haven't seen many caravans or motorhomes. How would the waste be arranged, some sort of vacuum cleaner hose arrangement which is movable seems the best option as long as it had space behind. and the tap would be a bit technical I suppose as well.

Is it asking for trouble

I am determined to try it rolleyes.gif

Apart from being utterly bonkers, I can't see why that won't work!

Perhaps use a pump to drain the sink coupled directly to the sink. Flexible water pipes to the taps shouldn't be a problem, perhaps the sort used by washing machines

Richard

The plumbing is going to be challenging

Thanks for the pump suggestion RLPW ! smile.png

RWLP i mean

LWP

A mini Belfast type sink sitting in the drawer. The drawer below will be a shelf so that the pump mounted on the base won't interfere too much as it is slid in and out.

Edited by magnetman

Just make sure you use heavy duty drawer slides!

Water is heavy, when supported at a distance.

You will be "wasting" space under the drawer to allow for plumbing, so will the drawer saving overall be worth it?

Bod

The major advantage of a sink-in-a-drawer over a sink with a lid on top is you don't need to clear all the crap off the worktop first to use the sink-in-a-drawer like you would have to to remove the lid. You just pull it out.

Great for when you are in the middle of say preparing a meal and have stuff all over the limited worktop space in a boat.

It's one of those brilliant ideas that are blindingly obvious, but only after someone else has just thought of it. All hail magnetman for such an awesome idea!!!!

MtB

Not uncommon on sailing yachts, both galley and heads, they are less common than they used to be twenty or thirty years ago though. You should find some shallow bowls made for the purpose relatively easily.

I was quite surprised to see just how many pictures of sinks in drawers there are on the internet. Just google "sinks in drawers" for some ideas.

Ah, someone's just beaten me to it.

Edited by koukouvagia

Have a look at folding (as in fold up rather than collapsible) sinks as used in ships and sleepers of the past. Google images of Folding Sinks shows similar options to sink in a drawer... there is even a fold down toilet under sink unit pictured.

Thats an idea yes but if a sink were designed to 'fold out' under a normal height worktop it would be quite low down once it was in place. Maybe it could be made to 'fold out and up' but I think the sliding version is going to be a better height for using as a sink as it will be immediately below the level of the worktop so a similar position to a normal recessed sink.

All ideas are welcome :)

folding taps. Thats good.

I suppose a recessed butler sink with a lid over it, yes, but there is the extra reasoning which is that it wants to double as a place where small children can wash their hands so it wants to be lower down than a normal worktop height while still having a standard worktop as well

If you see what I mean smile.png

But not so low down that it is awkward for cleaning the occasional tea cup.

I am going to be fitting a mini dishwasher so the existing large sink can be downsized

Surely an easier solution is to fit a regular sink with a chopping board or worktop lid (as suggested above) and make a drawer low down below it, that pulls out and becomes a step for the kids to stand on to reach the sink. That way adults don't get a bad back when using the sink and you don't have to faff around with flexible waste pipes or pumps that may block with food debris and grease.

And dishwasher or not, you wouldn't want to downsize your sink below the size of your largest saucepan/collender/frying pan otherwise draining hot water from cooked food is going to get dangerous

Edited by BlueStringPudding

why not just put a lid on it? that way it serves as 2 spaces.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing. You can buy wooden chopping boards made to fit the top recess of some kitchen sinks. Or just make one yourself from a piece of wooden worktop off-cut. Seems like a lot less hassle than fitting a sink into a drawer and it would serve the same purpose.

large-s1070.jpg

Edited by blackrose

Yes. But

MtB hit the nail on the head earlier on.

A worktop which can be -used- while the sink is still available is the object.

And I have my eye on a solid piece of mahogany 6ft x 2ft6 which I definitely don't want to cut a hole in :rolleyes:

If the si.k were in a drawer immediately under the worktop it would be at the same height as a sink which was recessed into the worktop ;) anyway

Si.k=sink

Yes. But

MtB hit the nail on the head earlier on.

A worktop which can be -used- while the sink is still available is the object.

I see. But

How do you plan to use the worktop while the sink is pulled out? Lean over the sink? It doesn't sound very ergonomic to me. If you push the sink back in while it's full of water so that you can use the worktop, then the sink can't actually be used at the same time.

Also I can see all sorts of other problems with a sink in a drawer. For example, it's going to have to be a very substantial drawer system to support the weight of a full sink of water while the drawer is open, and if you close the drawer too quickly while it's full you may end up with a cupboard full of water.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but the whole idea sounds completely impractical to me. Are you sure you haven't been watching too many episodes of George Clarke's Amazing Spaces? A lot of those "space-saving" ideas and interiors look like they would fall apart if anyone actually lived in them.

Edited by blackrose

I don't have a telly Mike :) and who is this mr clarke?

Your points are good ones I will take theminto account. I am going to try it.

When using a sink I do not have the plug in (nor do the wife or infants) so closing it full won't happen.

I think RLPW's suggestion of a pumped waste is good.

I never use a sink and worktop - at the same time - but a occasional use of a sink while using a worktop, ie small pause as I only have 2 hands, is definitely not unknown.