Newbies - just starting our boating journey!

timetex

Featured Posts

Actually, I'm not a total novice... my parents had a small GRP cruiser (Norman 22' or similar), which was later replaced by an Ensign 27' when I was little. We also hired (Anglo Welsh @ Wooton Wawen) and since I've grown up, I've hired a couple more times (Alvechurch, Anglo Welsh @ Llangollen) and more recently, an Aqua boat at Mercia.

My folks boats were generally moored at the end of the garden (Olton, on the GU between Farmer's Bridge and Knowle) until the local Brummies took one too many pot-shots with air rifles... (!)

But, in terms of designing and having our own narrowboat built, we are absolutely novices!

In terms of 'shell', I want something quite specific-looking. ~60ft, Semi-trad, portholes, a slightly elongated bow (dare I say the word 'Josher'??) and quite a 'traditional' feel. Aside from swapping the tug front for a well deck, and the semi-trad stern, think 'nb Resolute' as my starting / reference point. I'm weighing up some different steel workers at the moment and trying to narrow down a budget / builder.Trying to balance up reputation, availbility of a build slot, cost and general responsiveness to queries - and it is very difficult!

For the interior, aside from the seemingly mandatory 'reverse layout', we are after something a 'bit different'. Although a wooden interior seems pretty much obligatory, we don't actually want to be swamped with actually seeing too much 'wood', if that makes sense. So think painted, country cottage, shabby chic, or whatever the current terminology is. Perhaps a beautiful oak floor and wooden worktops in the galley, but have wood as a real highlight instead of being the primary material. The rest (panelling / tongue & groove or whatever we opt for) will be Farrow & Ball or similar, with comfy furniture and we'll try for some interesting features, storage and quirks too!

We've almost settled on a fitter - someone we met at Crick a couple of years ago and really liked their style - but are currently going through the process of defining a 'spec' and deciding what is on the shopping list! The fitter more usually works on liveaboards (ours is for extended cruising for 2 + dog) but it is their style of producing something which looks 'lived-in' which is drawing us...

So... any advice, any pitfalls or any suggestions are very welcome!

Oh - for technical stuff, it'll probably be quite 'safe':

Beta 43 with whatever gearbox and mechanicals recommended by the combination of fitter / shell builder

Central heating (webasto or similar)

Still considering what to do with batteries / inverters (presume something like 3Kw is enough?)

Welcome to the forum - you will get all sorts of different advice. The difficult bit is deciding whose advice to take!! Ally, who posts on here, until recently ran a very successful boat fitting service had her shells built by XR&D.They were happy to tailor the shells to the requirements of the purchaser. Otherwise I would suggest looking at one or two of the quality builders who build in small quantities for example Paul Barber.

Thanks for the welcomes!

Actually, ditchcrawler, some wallpaper may make an appearance on ours too... we'll see.

XR&D are already on my list of builders, and I've already been emailing Garry & Lee who are (I have to say) great at getting back in touch and very informative. On the opposite side of the spectrum, getting information out of Tyler Wilson is proving a little less easy.

As a hire boat, the Aqua we took out stacked up very well against others I've been on - but I'm not sure it was the right vehicle (excuse the pun) to show off what Justin is capable of. I'm not here to knock anyone's ideas, least of all the Aqua boat, but there were some design decisions made for that boat which did leave me wondering and scratching my head.

I'll throw in some examples:

* stern / bow doors both 'stable' variety - so each set needed a full 4 bolts to draw - and there was no way to latch the stern doors except from inside, so when leaving the boat, it had to be from the bow. Unusual?

* entry in from the stern doors was down steps to the right which disappeared straight under the roofline with no headroom. I'm 6'4" so couldn't get up and down them comfortably at all. My other half is 5'0" and even she struggled. There has to be a better way to get through the main doors than that!

* (this one is definitely a 'hire boat' issue) the dinette was very, very uncomfortable to sit on, and was the only seating in the boat (aside from the double bed)

I also wasn't a fan of the 'look' of the semi-cruiser stern, although I have to say the dog loved it, as she could stand / lie on the lockers and look out under the guard rail. However, there wasn't anywhere to put a cup of coffee / plate of bacon butties anywhere 'safe' within reach of the tiller, which is something I'd need to change! :)

Thanks for liking Resolute - you're not the only one! If you are after the fine lines that typify her, you could do worse than contact Graham or Tony at Norton Canes Boatbuilders. 01543 374888. Have a look at the website for more information.

Www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk

PM me if I can help further

Dave

Thanks for liking Resolute - you're not the only one! If you are after the fine lines that typify her, you could do worse than contact Graham or Tony at Norton Canes Boatbuilders. 01543 374888. Have a look at the website for more information.

Dave

Dave - I was going to post the Norton Canes link but assumed the semi-trad style is not something they do? PS will ring you later.

http://Www.nortoncanesboatbuilders.co.uk

Dave

Ah ha! Little did I know that the owner of Resolute would see my post on here and respond!

The boat is a credit to you and Norton Canes - and Norton Canes were amongst the first companies I contacted for steel details.

The cost per foot of steelwork varies quite widely - so it is very much a case of sorting out what is a true investment in 'quality', and what is merely 'more expensive' for the sake of it.

I guess I need to price up what I really want and see if it can be done within budget!

SM Hudson do semi - trads now. They are a bit like marmite in the reaction they cause although most of it is for comic effect on here. Quality is good.

www.smhudson.co.uk/gallery_ext.html

SM Hudson are also on my list, but having pored over the website over the last few weeks, I didn't see much in terms of pricing for the semi-trad. Plus they are 'fully fitted or partly fitted' so we wouldn't be able to specify a shell-only and have the fitters do all the work (everything from the engine mounting and spray foam / batonning upwards).

Although a wooden interior seems pretty much obligatory, we don't actually want to be swamped with actually seeing too much 'wood', if that makes sense. So think painted, country cottage, shabby chic, or whatever the current terminology is. Perhaps a beautiful oak floor and wooden worktops in the galley, but have wood as a real highlight instead of being the primary material. The rest (panelling / tongue & groove or whatever we opt for) will be Farrow & Ball or similar, with comfy furniture and we'll try for some interesting features, storage and quirks too!

So... any advice, any pitfalls or any suggestions are very welcome!

I'm in agreement with the over kill of a completely wooden interior, funnily that is what I thought I wanted when we first started looking; but after seeing a few with wooden floors, walls & ceilings I soon realized it was just a bit too much for me. We settled on a boat that has wooden floors (carpet in the bedrooms, & vinyl in the bathroom), oak & ash above the gunwhales, white tongue & grove ceiling with oak trim and white tongue & grove below the gunwhales.

For us it's perfect, just enough wood to make it cosy, while the white tongue & grove keeps it light and fresh. Well we like it anyway :)PEIRNdP.jpg

Some of my inspiration for interior comes from seeing the widebeam "Haffren"

bedroom.jpg

So the exact shade of green isn't to my tase, but the general 'feel' of this is what we'll be aiming for on the inside.

Apart from Tristar (who fitted out Haffren) does anyone know of any other companies who are used to doing this sort of 'style'?

Hi from another newbie!

I'm just in the process of buying my first boat (although not in the enviable position of designing from scratch) and understand where you are coming from in interior design terms. We hired this boat from http://www.ottersboathire.co.uk/my-o-my.php# last year and loved the light airy feel of the boat. I shall be stealing some of their design ideas when I finally plan a refit!

Hi from another newbie!

I'm just in the process of buying my first boat (although not in the enviable position of designing from scratch) and understand where you are coming from in interior design terms. We hired this boat from http://www.ottersboathire.co.uk/my-o-my.php# last year and loved the light airy feel of the boat. I shall be stealing some of their design ideas when I finally plan a refit!

love it!!

Some of my inspiration for interior comes from seeing the widebeam "Haffren"

bedroom.jpg

So the exact shade of green isn't to my tase, but the general 'feel' of this is what we'll be aiming for on the inside.

Apart from Tristar (who fitted out Haffren) does anyone know of any other companies who are used to doing this sort of 'style'?

Isn't that just painted T&G sides, painted T&G roof and painted T&G 'end wall' with a wooden floor, - which is not an unusual fit out

Isn't that just painted T&G sides, painted T&G roof and painted T&G 'end wall' with a wooden floor, - which is not an unusual fit out

I guess so, in that pic - but then it isn't finished there.

But that's kinda what I meant about it being a wood fitout, but not actually 'seeing' so much wood. I like having quite a lot of paint showing, with wood as an accent - and that does seem somewhat unusual when trawling through both the 2nd hand boats available on brokerage as well as the photos of new boats from the majority of fitters.

You're right the majority of boats that I have seen are primarily finished with varnished wood. I suppose that this is the traditional look that in the past most people have opted for and so most boat builders stick with. In saying that though whilst looking around at second hand boats I have seen quite a few that have been tidied up and given a coat of paint internally to lighten them up. Unfortunately in most cases the standard of painting has left a lot to be desired

Too much wood in the same colour is the problem to my mind. WW got it right when they built Kottingham and later refurbished it.

Lots of wood but with different colours and finishes.

There may be some picture around?

Too much wood in the same colour is the problem to my mind. WW got it right when they built Kottingham and later refurbished it.

Lots of wood but with different colours and finishes.

There may be some picture around?

I have the book, but all the photos are in b&w which is not very helpful!

I did see Kottingham in the flesh a couple of years ago and seem to remember some coloured panels (light green?) inside.