Protection tips around Morsø's wood burning stove?

skripthor

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I have a Morsø wood burning stove very close to a set of draws (17cm gap), please see pictures below. To clarify, I am not using and will not use the stove in these conditions. I am looking for a solution to protect the draws from the heat, any ideas what would be a safe solution? I imagine some kind of material that does not transfer the heat to the set of draws...

Thanks for any possible tips!! wink.png

30arm06.jpg

35i0t2a.jpg

It makes you wonder sometimes ! "What on earth does it being on a boat make" I am sure you also thought ...

As mentioned the fireproof plasterboard seems an option - I am sure B and Q etc would have this - I think it's colour-coded "pink", but check with them anyway...

Nick

The fireproof board obviously won't catch fire but does, to some extent, conduct the heat into something that does catch fire (the drawers). I would therefore want some inflammable insulation between the fireboard and the drawers and air is probably the best and cheapest insulation material!

In other words I would stand the board off the drawers with some pillars - at a pinch with a bunch of washers on the screws. Alternatively how about a sheet of aluminium stood off from the drawers? The bright surface helps to reflect the radiated heat and an air gap will protect the wood.

Ed: Curses, the Biz beat me to it!

Edited by nicknorman

A bit of a death trap you've got there, I'm no stickler for the regulations but here's the advice they give

http://www.soliftec.com/Boat%20Stoves%201-page.pdf

I know how hot my fire can get particularly if you take your eye off the ball it or it's a windy day, they say 600mm of space and that's not too far off the mark for anything that can catch fire like soft furnishings. When they get hot fires radiate a tremendous amount of heat.

Keep safe.

K

Just to be clear, you do mean non-flammable, don't you? Inflammable means easily set alight.

The English language is a funny thing.

But why, just why. combustible= burns, incombustible=doesn't burn and plenty of other, what idiot made inflammable and flammable mean the same thing, is this a ruling from the EU well it's just like the French to do something like that, well that's it I'm off to vote for UKIPsmile.png

K

Three aspects to heat transfer, conduction, radiation and convection. Fireboard will stop the heat to your cabinet via radiation which is your worst enemy in this particular situation, as well as reducing conduction. An air gap behind the fireboard will further reduce heat via conduction, but convection within the air gap assuming its open top and bottom will also take away heat.

But why, just why. combustible= burns, incombustible=doesn't burn and plenty of other, what idiot made inflammable and flammable mean the same thing, is this a ruling from the EU well it's just like the French to do something like that, well that's it I'm off to vote for UKIPsmile.png

K

I sincerely hope that smiley is a joking one!

Hardibacker board is only good for up to about 100deg C. We used it for the hearth on Tyto Alba because Morso give a max hearth temp of 45deg. For proper protection calcium silicate or similar board is required with an air gap http://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/Catalogue/ProductDetail/heat-proof-board-1000-x-610-x-25-?productID=b137a89c-71ec-4af6-8118-5c6225ea5f47&catalogueLevelItemID=3f22032b-7aac-4b0e-a94b-4800c71d61c6

This board is not cheap and is quite fragile. We have tiled over it to give some protection.