smoke and loss of thrust

Phil1884

Featured Posts

Hi,

Took the boat out for a run, got about 10 mins in and noticed a burning rubber/oil smell, had a look and there was a steady stream of smoke coming from the cover around the part of the exhaust where it meets the engine.

By the time I could pull over I had lost most of my propulsion despite upping the revs. Felt like I was dragging something with me as the tiller was juddering, and I could hear a noise which I usualky get if I'm in shallow water (but this is the highest the river has been in months)

So, when I had managed to stop, had a feel in the weed hatch and found nothing. Started the engine and it felt like all my power was back and the smoke had stopped.

gradually though, the propulsion ebbed away, switching off and on seemed to do the trick and got me home.

Anyway, I'm getting someone from barrus to look at it, it is a barrus 25hp, only 5 months old with only 19 hours of use but would be interested to hear what people thought, one of my theories could be water in the diesel through condensation????

so I had a feel around the

I have seen this happening over the last two weeks to lots of boats, the speed drops so the revs go up, compounding the problem.

All it takes is dropping to neutral, quick blast of reverse and then forward again, you will see the leaves come out in the wash.

As above have been doing this for the last few days.

The only difference is that I drift as far as possible after the reverse as going into forward to soon can pick up the same leaves.

Was only thinking, a few days ago, when the first of these posts would appear. biggrin.png

Edit: double post within post, how did that happen (rhetorical)

Edited by bottle

We followed a very slow hire boat through Braunston tunnel today with it's engine going flat out. Once it reached the top of the locks - a miracle! It was OK again

I could hear our engine working harder and harder as we did the couple of hundred yards up to the tunnel mouth. The water in the cutting was covered in leaves

Richard

We followed a very slow hire boat through Braunston tunnel today with it's engine going flat out. Once it reached the top of the locks - a miracle! It was OK again

I could hear our engine working harder and harder as we did the couple of hundred yards up to the tunnel mouth. The water in the cutting was covered in leaves

Richard

Yep it was really bad on the approach to the tunnel, a blast of reverse every min. The high winds were bringing lots of leaves down.

About a mile from Napton Junction we caught up a boat going very slowly, same issue I suspect.

I'd be surprised if leaves caused black smoke, although they definitely reduce thrust. Perhaps something more substantial was on the prop, and it dropped off with a quick blast of reverse?

The governor on an overloaded diesel will keep on pumping in the fuel in an attempt to raise the revs, leading to over-fueling and copious black smoke.

Except on a Kelvin. Mine doesn't do this, not sure why not!

MtB

The governor on an overloaded diesel will keep on pumping in the fuel in an attempt to raise the revs, leading to over-fueling and copious black smoke.

Except on a Kelvin. Mine doesn't do this, not sure why not!

MtB

It's a very sophisticated governer, if you listened to it you'd hear it say, "ouch, ye cannae change the laws o' physics, captin"

I'd be surprised if leaves caused black smoke, although they definitely reduce thrust. Perhaps something more substantial was on the prop, and it dropped off with a quick blast of reverse?

So this surprise you are experiencing then...

I can assure you, it does happen - even on a robust and efficient BMC 1.8

Richard

A quick run out today proved it affected my JP2 as well...and it takes a fair blade full to make that grunt...but it was just leaves....drop into neutral...Coast for a bit and then all is well!

Cheers

Gareth

So this surprise you are experiencing then...

I can assure you, it does happen - even on a robust and efficient BMC 1.8

Richard

Caught a piece of fishing net on a prop many years ago which was hooked around all three blades like a hairnet.

The symptoms though surprised me at the time as the engine appeared totally un-stressed with absolutely no signs of any colour of smoke, just revs limited to 1200 rpm (used to max at over 3000 rpm) with the extra throttle movement making no difference whatsover. This was a modernish Volvo TMD31B though, so guess governor design has improved significantly over the years.