smoke and loss of thrust

Phil1884

Featured Posts

It's a very sophisticated governer, if you listened to it you'd hear it say, "ouch, ye cannae change the laws o' physics, captin"

You're right, it DID say that! It was in an email though, which I didn't receive until later...

MtB

So this surprise you are experiencing then...

I can assure you, it does happen - even on a robust and efficient BMC 1.8

Richard

Well I learn something new every day. Been boating for over 40 years, many times during September, October and November and have experienced the effect of leaves bring me to a crawl but it has never been accompanied by black smoke. The first couple of times it happened to me I went down the weedhatch (top tip - I pour a kettle of boiling water down the weedhatch before putting your hands in the canal, it temporarily warms the freezing cold canal water) only to find nothing there. Presumably a "ball" of leaves circulate around the prop when underway but sink to the bottom of the cut whilst you are opening the weedhatch.

Well I learn something new every day. Been boating for over 40 years, many times during September, October and November and have experienced the effect of leaves bring me to a crawl but it has never been accompanied by black smoke. The first couple of times it happened to me I went down the weedhatch (top tip - I pour a kettle of boiling water down the weedhatch before putting your hands in the canal, it temporarily warms the freezing cold canal water) only to find nothing there. Presumably a "ball" of leaves circulate around the prop when underway but sink to the bottom of the cut whilst you are opening the weedhatch.

First time it happened to me, many years ago before online forums were even thought of, I was convinced that the prop was loose on the prop shaft, but every time I stopped the engine and went down the weed hatch it had mysteriously tightened up again. After about the tenth time, seeing some leaves floating out from under the counter I finally twigged what was going on!