Crane in central London

petergb

Featured Posts

Presumably all these 'house boats' we hear so much about get into place somehow ?

Are they dropped in some miles away and then tugged / towed / pushed into place.

If the OP's boat doesn't have an form of motive power (that's not an assumption) couldn't the same thing happen ?

If the OP's boat does have a form of motive power (that's not an assumption) then, as suggested, 'drop it in' at the most suitable / easiest place and take a couple of days to cruise it 'home'

Surely part of the joy of living on a boat is the ability to move it from place to place? Even if due to other commitments or stoppages you should be able to move it into central london from somewhere around the M25?

Or is this yet another boat that's going to be nailed to a bit of towpath and never move?

Cheers

Gareth

Was that called for?

You clearly no nothing of the OPs situation but have pounced in this post to continue your tiresome misinformed rant about anyone who isn't moving 24 7!

Or perhaps this is yet another post that knows nothing about the OP's circumstances but just wants to be judgemental?

Why do some people insist on telling others how they should use their own property? For starters I don't think the OP ever mentioned living on the boat, and secondly, if boat owners don't want to move their boats from their moorings then in my opinion they shouldn't move. Part of the joy of living or owning a boat may be moving from place to place for you, but joy for other people may be something else entirely. I know lots of people who never move their boats and they seem perfectly happy.

I will stand to be corrected by the OP.....but I also stand by what I say....I really don't see the point of a boat that never moves...liveaboard or not....

Cheers

Gareth

Yes, and the most popular method I believe is by using the boatyard at watford which has a crane which can take a 60ft+ long wide bean canal boat up to about 40 tonnes off a low loader and place it in a private marina from where you can progress onto the canal system and make your way to the great Metropolis taking in the shites of such varied and interesting environs as West Drayton, Hayes and Greenford on your way. mainly taking them into your propeller that would be. Before finally emerging from the depths of despair into Kensal Green and following on into the real London.

Yeah, don't come this way, it's right grim, nothing to see here, move along please...

OrWcjVj.jpg

Was that called for?

You clearly no nothing of the OPs situation but have pounced in this post to continue your tiresome misinformed rant about anyone who isn't moving 24 7!

Well let's wait for the OP to come back and give us more info then.....

It seems to me that the only people who could be upset by my post might be others who find my remarks a bit close to home....given the amount of posts on here about bridge hopping in London I don't think I'm alone in my views.

Well let's wait for the OP to come back and give us more info then.....

It seems to me that the only people who could be upset by my post might be others who find my remarks a bit close to home....given the amount of posts on here about bridge hopping in London I don't think I'm alone in my views.

If you can tell me how a fully residential mooring on the offside is anywhere near your fixation with CMers then I will attempt to listen.

Half of the problem with London is other people a pretending to know what is going on.

I'll move it for you and undercut the haulage and crane costs.

I'll vouch for Nige, and if he gets to pass us we might get an ale or two in!

If you can tell me how a fully residential mooring on the offside is anywhere near your fixation with CMers then I will attempt to listen.

Half of the problem with London is other people a pretending to know what is going on.

Well I didn't know london had so many available fully resi moorings for all the new boaters I spoke to over the summer who had brought a boat from the Midlands northwards and were taking it to London to live on. Sadly in many of these cases they seemed to have very little idea about what living aboard might entail...from how to operate a lock to how to drill a hole in steel...there is only so much you can hope to explain as you are sharing a lock or mooring for the night.

Whilst the situation in London might not be as bad as I think (however judging from what I have seen when walking along the towpaths in the east of the city I doubt it) I can't help but think that some of the newbies must be having a pretty torrid time of it.

Cheers

Gareth

What interests and concerns me is that the OP already has a mooring by Regents Park. Most new arrivals in London seem to come by water without thought of a mooring. There is something UNusual about this!

Why ?

The people who bought my last boat had purchased (won at auction) a mooring at Brentford almost 6 months prior to actually geting the boat there

There are quite a few full residential moorings available in London - if you can afford one.

I am aware of some in zones 4,5 and 6 that are quite affordable.

Most of the people I spoke to were planning on CC (M)ing it around London but with no idea about what that might involve.

Cheers

Gareth

Most of the people I spoke to were planning on CC (M)ing it around London but with no idea about what that might involve.

Cheers

Gareth

And yet you make rude assumptions.

Maybe it would have been more polite to not shoot first and ask questions later?

With no details of the boat to be moved, we can only be totally non specific, is it a narrow boat or a house on a pontoon. The more your boat differs from "narrow boat" the more issues you will have with movement about the system,

It's a narrowboat according to the OP. He says so near the end of his post.

We just don't know if its a 70ft Town Class or a 23ft Springer Waterbug. Or something in between.

MtB

I couldn't find he OP's boat name "Frances Rose" on the CanalPlan boat listing to give all you crane experts something to go on; how comprehensive is that list?

I guess the absence of the name could mean it's a new build, or just that it's been recently renamed e.g. by the OP?

I couldn't find he OP's boat name "Frances Rose" on the CanalPlan boat listing to give all you crane experts something to go on; how comprehensive is that list?

I guess the absence of the name could mean it's a new build, or just that it's been recently renamed e.g. by the OP?

It doesn't appear to have ben updated since May-13. My boat, which was build and launched in late 2006, but didn't come on to CRT waters permanently until October-14 is not on there - I have been wondering for some time if the feed is still available.

It doesn't appear to have ben updated since May-13. My boat, which was build and launched in late 2006, but didn't come on to CRT waters permanently until October-14 is not on there - I have been wondering for some time if the feed is still available.

We have the data from CaRT (they only gave us new boats) Plus the EA gave us the data in a different format than previous years as did the Broads Authority (who also accidentally included some duplicates). So right now I've got 12,785 records in 1 table for 2014 (EA and BA) 1,865 in another (new CaRT registrations) and 103,359 in another table which is all the existing data (which includes duplicates and has different columns to the 2014 data). As you can imagine merging all of that data into a new structure and removing duplicates but keeping renames, isn't exactly a 10 minute job.

Also the code handling the forms needs to be re-written (I've already had to recode a pile to block attempted SQL Injections which were hammering the site) and this has to be done when I'm not working all day as an Oracle developer (and being on call one week in 4).

So its coming but.....

Edited by StephenA

We have the data from CaRT (they only gave us new boats) Plus the EA gave us the data in a different format than previous years as did the Broads Authority (who also accidentally included some duplicates). So right now I've got 12,785 records in 1 table for 2014 (EA and BA) 1,865 in another (new CaRT registrations) and 103,359 in another table which is all the existing data (which includes duplicates and has different columns to the 2014 data). As you can imagine merging all of that data into a new structure and removing duplicates but keeping renames, isn't exactly a 10 minute job.

Also the code handling the forms needs to be re-written (I've already had to recode a pile to block attempted SQL Injections which were hammering the site) and this has to be done when I'm not working all day as an Oracle developer (and being on call one week in 4).

So its coming but.....

Stephen - well done you for undertaking it. I spent a lifetime with SQL and Oracle - when it goes right it is great but when it goes wrong - well I suspect you know......!

seems the OP has disappeared leaving the whole of CWDF to debate his problems in his absence. ........... odd ?

It happens quite often, but I think a common reason is that people new to the forum don't fully realise how quickly any half-sensible new topic (or even some really daft ones) will get replies. Also, the OP started the topic on Saturday evening and may have had plans for today, after all anyone in the throes of buying a boat will have things to do. Or the OP may have reached a conclusion based on the answers and just not bothered to reply... if you're reading this, what do you think of the show so far petergb?

Wow! I had no idea! I was really just after some advice on getting the boat into the water near in London. The boat is a 53' narrowboat. I appreciate those who have offered relevant advice. I'll look into a few of these options this week. Thanks!