did I miss out on 4 go cart tyres for a tenner?

TaffyRon

Featured Posts

yes if you frequent the shroppie on a regular basis, although i find wheelbarrow wheels better as they are bigger, if the go-kart tyres are just tyres they won;t be any good as they just get squashed, you need the inner too.

So you cant rope round them to make a button fender?

I can't see how it would work unless you modified the tyre a lot, which would mean a lot of cutting through the rubber etc. Front button fenders, if you simply used a button, would be pushed sideways one way or the other every time it contacts something, which stretches/alters the shape of it meaning that over time, it tends to squash over to one side and each subsequent contact makes it worse and worse until it is useless.

So you cant rope round them to make a button fender?

No but you can cut one side off and fit them over a button fender to protect it.

My two were trashed but sleveing them with gc tyres has given them a new lease of life.

Had two go-cart tyres for the last four years use them when ever mooring except the Shroppie then use wheel barrow wheels, with tyres.

Had no problems and look as if they will last a few more years.

Tip:

Only use front wheel tyres and squeeze, sideways, then select the better ones.

Use 'U' bolt with four nuts and four 'penny' washers

I use old Mini tyres 10-145.Cut two holes in the top for rope and one in the bottom to drain.Cut holes with a standard hole cutter.They dont seem to squash much and prevent problems when moored to the large sheet piling,such as at Evesham.Very bad idea to just tie rope around the tyre though,as the rope wears through and the tyre drops into the cut.Practicaly imposible to get off a prop.

I use them when moored to a hard edge and pull the moorings tight enough to part squash them. For the Shroppie shelf and like I float wheelbarrow wheels with inflated tiers between the boat and the edge.

Same here. I find kart tyres great for "temporary" fenders. Wheel barrow wheels great on most of Shroppie too, and on some of Leeds & Liverpool.

The front tyres are narrowish but the rear ones are really too wide. I bought 8 for a tenner on E bay, I cut a ring out of the middle with an electric saw - easy, joined the whole lot together with cable ties to get a narrow, stuffed tyre and then used that as the innards of a fender, several hundred half hitches later with 10 mm rope and I have a pile of really nice fenders, I don't think they would be particularly suitable for a narrowboat but they are great for our little dutch tug. Button Fenders? a bit too soft unless they are really well stuffed.