I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

As someone new to being a livaboard this CRT mess up worries me!

Can they force you to take a mooring even if you continue to move around the system?

Are there any clear guidelines on how to CC?

Is it worth having a blog with pics and moving dates to avoid mistakes but would it even be worth the trouble if CRT insist they are correct?

no they cant force you to take a mooring

have a read of the CRT guidelines - you can find them on their website - and see what you think

yes, it's for when/if CRT do insist they're correct that it will come in very handy

Do CRT control the River Medway?

MtB

No, the EA do. That said, it isn't the easiest of navigations to get to unless your boat is trailable or coastal (or both!)

Well, not the easiest but it is doable in pretty much any boat. I've been round to and from the Thames several times in a 17 x 6 foot boat running a 7hp outboard.

Probably not wise, but definitely possible

So the Gold License covers it?

MtB

Yes

Well, not the easiest but it is doable in pretty much any boat. I've been round to and from the Thames several times in a 17 x 6 foot boat running a 7hp outboard.

Probably not wise, but definitely possible

My kind of attitude!clapping.giflaugh.png

I had problem getting a winter mooring because it was said I was not following the guidance for boats without a home mooring.

So you're saying that if a person is caught not moving far enough, that if he want's to actually pay for a winter mooring because he knows he's going to stay in an area for a few months, that they wont sell him one?

Surely not?

That would be counter productive and a little insane...wouldn't it?

So you're saying that if a person is caught not moving far enough, that if he want's to actually pay for a winter mooring because he knows he's going to stay in an area for a few months, that they wont sell him one?

Surely not?

Well you can not have a mooring if you are under enforcement but then I have never had a patrol notice

Surely not?

I think (but I'm definitely not sure) that if you are not what they consider to be ccing then you are not entitled to winter mooring because you should in fact have a home mooring (and therefore you wouldn't need a winter mooring).

I see CWM has explained it more concisely while I was bashing with 2 fingers!

Instead of all this manual (and apparently erroneous) logging I often wonder if, in these days of electronic tracking and GPS, this technology could somehow be used to monitor movement.

Not on my boat thank you not come on the canals to be monitored every day by someone sitting in a CRT office

Not on my boat thank you not come on the canals to be monitored every day by someone sitting in a CRT office

But would this really be much different to having your details manually entered and somebody sitting in an office trawling through this information?

Don't they do that with criminals?

Well we do have exclusion zones like people with ASBOS so I guess something round the ankle in in the winter to make sure we do not go into the exclusive areas might be needed.

But would this really be much different to having your details manually entered and somebody sitting in an office trawling through this information?

But it seems like the information is not trawled through

I find it amazing in this day and age that a body like CRT find managing a relatively small number of craft on just over 2000 miles of waterway so hard!. Rumours have abounded of late of new technology coming in but as yet there's nothing appeared. Number plate / Barcode readers at strategic points would make managing the boat movements (or non movements) a doddle. Its relatively cheap "off the shelf" kit and simple to install. Automatic fines sent out with data from logging would cut out all of the inherent monitoring problems. Then farm out enforcement to those happy chappies the traffic wardens, on the towpath and its job done. 32000 boats is a fraction of what the congestion charge system monitors everyday in London and similar set ups in tunnels etc. CRT seem shy of doing the sensible way forward.

Edited to add, its like looking back in reality. We used to have gauging stops and toll stations in the carrying days, we just need to look at that method in a modern way.

Edited by Laurence Hogg

So you're saying that if a person is caught not moving far enough, that if he want's to actualplacdly pay for a winter mooring because he knows he's going to stay in an area for a few months, that they wont sell him one?

Surely not?

That would be counter productive and a little insane...wouldn't it?'

Dean, it is not about moving 'far enough', 'staying in one place for more then 14 days' or 'bona-fide navigating'. If CRT believe you are within the enforcement process they will not sell you a short term winter mooring (e.g. one month) but you can buy a longer term winter mooring.

So far, no one has defined how long you must remain at B, C or D before returning to A. If we can be logged 13 times on one day at one location and thus deemed as 'non-compliant' the corollary is that an hour, or less, moored at B, C and D complies with the rules but not the intention of the rules.

Cotswoldman (and Stan) clearly exceed the requirements and intention of the rules. Even if they were to overstay occasionally it would be ridiculous to mark them as 'non-compliant' or prosecute them. OTOH, Cotsoldman, standing up for the rights of 'compliant' boaters, has become a target for the CRT enforcement and legal departments who desperately need to justify the high cost of their services.

The reasonable interpretation, intention of every law, regulation or contractual rule must remain paramount.

Alan

A bit late commenting I know - I first saw this on my phone. You don't see the topic starter on the phone version so I clicked curious to see who it was and was gobsmacked! I find it very very worrying that someone who consistently covers so much of the system can be flagged as non compliant - worrying for those that don't have the skills to combat such a ridiculous allegation if it were levelled at them.

We haven't applied for our winter mooring yet - it'll be interesting to see what happens when we do.

A bit late commenting I know - I first saw this on my phone. You don't see the topic starter on the phone version so I clicked curious to see who it was and was gobsmacked! I find it very very worrying that someone who consistently covers so much of the system can be flagged as non compliant - worrying for those that don't have the skills to combat such a ridiculous allegation if it were levelled at them.

We haven't applied for our winter mooring yet - it'll be interesting to see what happens when we do.

Get back in your marina you.....the cruising season is over.

cheers.gificecream.gif

Get back in your marina you.....the cruising season is over.

cheers.gificecream.gif

:lol: We're doing it the back to front way - living in a marina all summer then moving back onto the cut for the winter!

Can't wait to get back out there :cheers:

Oo and Matty - you're not on Facebook so don't know that Dave passed his HGV2 today - a new career path for him at the grand old age of 52!

(sorry John - small thread hijack there :))

:lol: We're doing it the back to front way - living in a marina all summer then moving back onto the cut for the winter!

Can't wait to get back out there :cheers:

Oo and Matty - you're not on Facebook so don't know that Dave passed his HGV2 today - a new career path for him at the grand old age of 52!

(sorry John - small thread hijack there :))

Your Dave is starting out as a trucker, at 52?? Is he mad?

Prepare for lots of time to yourself.

Your Dave is starting out as a trucker, at 52?? Is he mad?

Prepare for lots of time to yourself.

Ah no - there's always local jobs to be had. My brother in law uses his HGV1 to supplement their income when he can't get fencing work and is never away overnight.

Sorry - I really should have started a separate thread on this!