I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

The collection of adequate and accurate data is not the boaters problem. If the police or state decided everyone should be tagged so that a few could be identified as suspect, it would be seen as over the top, even if it did help catch some miscreants. Treat everyone as suspect?

So, it is not at odds to wish to see enforcement without the surveillance of every citizen. Just to prove that 90% aren't a problem.

The data doesn't have to be made public though, it can just be privately used by CRT.

However, there are other reasons GPS logging won't work well as has been previously mentioned (power, installation, cost, editing of data files, inaccuracy of readings in some places, mobile GPS devices being 'walked around').

I still think we should be allowed to update our location on CRT records and let CRT spot check our input with their current methods. As someone else mentioned, a bit like how you give gas/electricity meter readings. This could be entirely voluntary for those who worry about being held to task by poorly sampled CRT data alone.

That's a bit like clocking in. People fall foul of the utilities companies, because the company can't keep records by means they set up. They have got to get their act together.

I still pay for a service, when all said and done. And, I'm a private citizen.

That's a bit like clocking in. People fall foul of the utilities companies, because the company can't keep records by means they set up. They have got to get their act together.

I still pay for a service, when all said and done. And, I'm a private citizen.

...yes but do you want your licence fee to go up to pay for a sophisticated system?

BTW, I used to clock in, in previous jobs. I don't think it's a problem unless you plan to cheat...It would be great if we could trust eachother wouldn't it?

No, that would be a silly idea! Not sure what that's got to do with accurately logging boat movements though....

Because it is similar to the system you were proposing. If I buy a license and declare myself as a CCer I shouldn't have to regularly inform them that I am still doing so. I have declared that I will be CCing and following the rules until further notice. If they think otherwise it is down to them to prove it, just like the police presume I am innocent until they have reason to believe otherwise. I don't have to contact the police regularly to say that I am still innocent.

Edited by Delta9

I have declared that I will be CCing and following the rules until further notice. If they think otherwise it is down to them to prove it,

I think you need to read what you've signed up to a bit more closely - as has been pointed out MANY times on this thread and others, its the boater's duty to "satisfy the board" of their cruising pattern.

NC maybe I should add my Grandfather and Father fought in 2 separate World Wars to protect my freedoms and I deem being tracked by an organisation for the sole purpose of knowing where I am as intruding on that freedom. With my phone I have the choice of being tracked and I choose not to be

Dont forget as long as your phone is turned on it can be tracked to within 100m or so.

So I assume you turn it off when you don't want to be tracked :)

Just checked mine with wifi and gps off and its about 250m.......

Near enough for CaRTs purposes

Edited by Loddon

NC maybe I should add my Grandfather and Father fought in 2 separate World Wars to protect my freedoms and I deem being tracked by an organisation for the sole purpose of knowing where I am as intruding on that freedom. With my phone I have the choice of being tracked and I choose not to be

The trouble is one man's freedom is often another man's prison. Most of us buy products made in sweat shops etc. Unfortunately we've always had to come up with tools to protect us from P takers and they can be found in all walks of life.

I am with you in spirit though...as Steve hinted last night, some us hoped to escape the crap by living on the cut....

...yes but do you want your licence fee to go up to pay for a sophisticated system?

BTW, I used to clock in, in previous jobs. I don't think it's a problem unless you plan to cheat...It would be great if we could trust eachother wouldn't it?

You wouldn't by any chance be talking about something as sophicated as entering data in a usuable fashion and being able to access it in a useful way, would you. . I know how it can fail. In the past, I have signed on at the dole and they where completely incapable of viewing my postal address and residential address on the same screen.

There's no problem with clocking in, I get paid to do it every time I go to work.

Just been looking in a copy of "Marine Law for Boat Owners" and on that subject it mentions Weeks v Ross [1913] 2KB 229

Thanks for the info John. It was one of the cases cited in Davies, to demonstrate short distances can qualify as navigation, but I have not been able to read the judgment for myself. I’ll try to find a copy.

The case I was thinking of was the much earlier case [1831] of Moore v Robinson – and no, it wasn’t me.

The vessel concerned was a fly-boat based on the Aire and Calder, and the issue was whether the mere master of a canal boat could maintain an action respecting it. Precedent in Pitts v Gaince had established that “the master of a ship might maintain trespass”.

The Appellant in this case claimed that ‘ship’ should properly refer only to “a vessel navigating to foreign parts.” Refused, because the court found the cases indistinguishable.

I am getting puzzled (again) reading the protests the only method I can see CRT being able to use is observers on the ground. As this may be somebodies home we are talking about I doubt volunteers would be any good. They might be reticent to go out in all weathers or miss days for what ever reason.

This to me means doubling or perhaps trebling the number of enforcement officers. Are you happy that that amount of wages should be taken out of the maintenance budget?

I think you need to read what you've signed up to a bit more closely - as has been pointed out MANY times on this thread and others, its the boater's duty to "satisfy the board" of their cruising pattern.

That doesn't mean you literally have to hold your log book under their noses and produce reams of paper and a pile of photos. It's how they are able to observe, given the shortcomings of their methods. And, unfortunately, being too quick to rely on sketchy information; as it seems.

I am getting puzzled (again) reading the protests the only method I can see CRT being able to use is observers on the ground. As this may be somebodies home we are talking about I doubt volunteers would be any good. They might be reticent to go out in all weathers or miss days for what ever reason.

This to me means doubling or perhaps trebling the number of enforcement officers. Are you happy that that amount of wages should be taken out of the maintenance budget?

We used to have very approachable offices in town centres for gas, electrics, water, etc. Somehow, the loss of these offices didn't really equate to a massive reduction in bills. You just lost a service. What is left invariably leads to disatisfied customers facing the inadequate remains of a past service.

Over time it becomes annoying and it seems the service is poor. Calling for the reinstatement of a service reminiscent of adequate will now cost an arm and a leg. So, a service that was needed all along was cast aside for 'efficiency and better service'. Not.

Dont forget as long as your phone is turned on it can be tracked to within 100m or so.

So I assume you turn it off when you don't want to be tracked :)

Just checked mine with wifi and gps off and its about 250m.......

Near enough for CaRTs purposes

As it happens my phone is switched off most of the time