I Have been Deemed Not to Be A Continuous Cruiser

cotswoldsman

Featured Posts

So CRT would want to come on my boat to wire up this tracking system?

Not the same thing as the fitting of Tracking systems to commercial ships (boats are what you get into when the ship is sinking) is for reasons of safety and not snooping.

You are making an incorrect assumption as to the size of the boats....to operate in PLA waters my friends 20' workboat and his RIB both have to have AIS

neither could be called a ship

You are making an incorrect assumption as to the size of the boats....to operate in PLA waters my friends 20' workboat and his RIB both have to have AIS

I bet neither are registered with CRT for their waters either?

Your arguing for the sake of it.

I bet neither are registered with CRT for their waters either?

Your arguing for the sake of it.

No You are!....that was a reply for CWM who was talking about him having to fit a system...AIS was imposed on boats in PLA waters.

CWM made a snippy comment about size of vessels with AIS and he was wrong.

No You are!....that was a reply for CWM who was talking about him having to fit a system...AIS was imposed on boats in PLA waters.

CWM made a snippy comment about size of vessels with AIS and he was wrong.

Do you have a link to that imposition by PLA on ALL boats on their waters just out of interest because I have a friend that I would like to send that to as he uses PLA waters but I know he does not have a tracker thanks in advance for your help

Do you have a link to that imposition by PLA on ALL boats on their waters just out of interest because I have a friend that I would like to send that to as he uses PLA waters but I know he does not have a tracker thanks in advance for your help

I'm sure it's only 'commercial' boats, I did post a link when it cropped up in an earlier thread.

Tim

Edit - found it

http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Thames-AIS

Edited by Timleech

Workboats come under the grouping of Tugs (as most small workboats tow as well) http://www.pla.co.uk/Safety/Thames-AIS

compliance under...blah blah (12) I think is for vessels operating at above 30Kts

If he's just visiting and comes under any of the groupings, you can Hire (£50) when I last looked......smashing when you see the right of way lights changing on the bridges!

July 23rd 2013

On Monday, the Washington Post published a story focusing on how massively the NSA has grown since the 9/11 attacks. Buried within it, there was a small but striking detail: By September 2004, the NSA had developed a technique that was dubbed “The Find” by special operations officers. The technique, the Post reports, was used in Iraq and “enabled the agency to find cellphones even when they were turned off.” This helped identify “thousands of new targets, including members of a burgeoning al-Qaeda-sponsored insurgency in Iraq,” according to members of the special operations unit interviewed by the Post.

Somebody needs to tell NCIS (5 USA) about this - they always need to trick the bad dude into making a phone call!!

Not certain where it was built but I understand it started off as an MOD launch (1989).....she is under 10 metres ..I thought she was 8.5 but not at all certain, only goes just over 5 ton1856046.jpg

Picture from Shipspotting.com

Edit to add.......just found details....9 metre MMSI 235052378

Edited by John V

A truck, a van, something that is an agent of a business might be suitable candidates for a tracker.

Regardless of wether it is cheap or would make life easier for CRT, it is still a step too far, as far as I'm concerned.

Do you carry a mobile phone?

According to s.313 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995: "ship" includes every description of vessel used in navigation.

Interesting isn't it how those so eager to prove they abide by the few simple rules of getting a license are also so set against a simple device that would prove their compliance.

A GPS transmitter on a boat is no more intrusive than a mobile phone. Very few find a mobile intrusive!

Yes

So why do you regard your vessel carrying a similar transmitter a problem.

Yes

Interesting isn't it how those so eager to prove they abide by the few simple rules of getting a license are also so set against a simple device that would prove their compliance.

A GPS transmitter on a boat is no more intrusive than a mobile phone. Very few find a mobile intrusive!

Do you trust CRT to be responsible with the data they collect from those GPS devices?

Can't use my vessel to make phone calls and I keep the gps switched off on my phone as I don't want people to know where I am unless I choose to tell them

Can't use my vessel to make phone calls and I keep the gps switched off on my phone as I don't want people to know where I am unless I choose to tell them

Your location can still be tracked without GPS switched on, though it is less accurate.

Ed. Actually I should qualify that, the phone can be tracked, but a person can only be if the phone is a pay monthly registered to the correct individual. Same goes for a PAYG phone.

A person using a non registered PAYG phone would be harder to track unless you knew their mobile number.

Edited by The Dog House

NC maybe I should add my Grandfather and Father fought in 2 separate World Wars to protect my freedoms and I deem being tracked by an organisation for the sole purpose of knowing where I am as intruding on that freedom. With my phone I have the choice of being tracked and I choose not to be

According to s.313 of the Merchant Shipping Act 1995: "ship" includes every description of vessel used in navigation.

(I can be a pedant as wellsmile.png) "Ship, from the Old English scip, the generic name for seagoing vessels, as opposed to *boats,.........In srict maritime useage the word also signifies a particular type of vessel with a bowsprit and three masts...." Oxford companion to ships and the sea

Trouble was it was probably written by lawyers not seamen smile.png

Trouble was it was probably written by lawyers not seamen smile.png

Which, the MSA or the Oxford?

Pertinent to this thread, I was trying to find the case establishing that narrowboats were 'ships' within the meaning of the precursor MSA, but that will have to wait. It discussed exactly the distinctions referred to by the 'Oxford'.

Which, the MSA or the Oxford?

Pertinent to this thread, I was trying to find the case establishing that narrowboats were 'ships' within the meaning of the precursor MSA, but that will have to wait. It discussed exactly the distinctions referred to by the 'Oxford'.

Just been looking in a copy of "Marine Law for Boat Owners" and on that subject it mentions Weeks v Ross [1913] 2KB 229

Do you carry a mobile phone?

Yes, when I choose to.

Please send me a full and detailed account of your every movement.

Yes, when I choose to.

Please send me a full and detailed account of your every movement.

The data doesn't have to be made public though, it can just be privately used by CRT.

However, there are other reasons GPS logging won't work well as has been previously mentioned (power, installation, cost, editing of data files, inaccuracy of readings in some places, mobile GPS devices being 'walked around').

I still think we should be allowed to update our location on CRT records and let CRT spot check our input with their current methods. As someone else mentioned, a bit like how you give gas/electricity meter readings. This could be entirely voluntary for those who worry about being held to task by poorly sampled CRT data alone.